any way to discourage climbing?

bengalfan

Arachnopeon
Was wondering if misting or anything else would stop a tarantula from climbing. Its a young rosea and its pretty quick also dont want it falling when it gets up twoards the top and to prevent escape when adding water etc.My older Ts are slower and dont climb too much so Ive never had this problem.

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
Was wondering if misting or anything else would stop a tarantula from climbing. Its a young rosea and its pretty quick also dont want it falling when it gets up twoards the top and to prevent escape when adding water etc.My older Ts are slower and dont climb too much so Ive never had this problem.
well i dunno honestly but i always fill my cages with sub till basically all they can do is flip them sleves for molts basically no more open space then 1.5 times there leg span.. minus the arboreals but for terr like i said above is ok
hope i helped

bioshock

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

First off rosies like it dry so misting the substrate or whatever is just going to make it want to climb more. The best thing to do is to add more substrate so if it does decide to climb and falls it wont do any damage to the t. How long have you had this t anyway?? Maybe its just exploring its new home i dont know most t's will before settling down..

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Maybe the substrate isn't dry enough who knows, we dont know what your setup is like.

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
maybe its trying to get a feel for its surroundings? sometimes settling just takes time.

how long has it been in the enclosure? is the sub bone dry? how high is the sub? more information might lead to us to an actual answer for you.

Last edited:

bengalfan

Arachnopeon
substraate is dry but its been in the cage 4 days. the subs pretty deep and it did burrow. Im thinking it might just be exploring but I dont want an escape though when I open the top Ive got to take it all the way off to water it.

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
If it's only been in it's new enclosure for a few days, then it's still just settling in and exploring. It will settle down, just make sure to keep the substrate deep enough to prevent injury from a fall.

Skullptor

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
When you put it in an enclosure, it should be able to go anywhere inside that enclosure...right?

Offkillter

Arachnosquire
Razor wire.:evil:

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Nope. It is natural behavior, just enjoy it.

BillieJean

Arachnopeon
Are you perhaps using vermiculite as a substrate?

I recently got two pulchra slings in vermiculite and noticed both of them often preferred the sides of the container. Then I read (in the stickied rosea post) how some tarantulas avoid vermiculite, causing them to rest on the sides and/or top. I decided to change their substrate to coco-fiber, although potting soil would be fine (as long as it doesn't have any pesticides or fertilizers), mainly because I think it's more photogenic. They still climb (I just rehoused a few hours ago, so it's still quite moist), but I think they will be climbing less often as it dries and they get used to it—my third pulchra sling never did this in the time I've had him, and he has been on cocofiber for the last two months.

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Billie Jean, Not saying that you are keeping them too moist but mine like it bone dry. I keep them on peat. They did best up to .75" or so with the sub only faintly damp. After that, they'd ride the sides when it got that way. I also start them with a waterdish (coke cap) earlier than most do- around 1" and halfway filled. Trouble is that after a big meal they often flip or fill it- and I have to replace with new- which isn't much when we're talking about a deli-cup- sized enc.

Off topic- In terms of being eco-friendly, I do wish I could find an excellent alternative to peat. I don't think I want to use the coco-stuff after reading others accounts of molding. I will say that t keepers would no doubt have the lowest impact on peat bogs of all those that use the stuff. Landscapers (that would be me) go through the stuff like water for use in re-conditioning soil or for plants that like a lower ph such as Rhododendron (only azaleas here), Camellia, etc :eek: . Speaking of work.......time to go! :)

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
...when I open the top Ive got to take it all the way off to water it.
I think a quick fix here might help a lot.

How do you water?

I use a pressure sprayer with a hose instead of spray tip.
I just spray through the lid or I have holes drilled to allow the water in.

To have to open the entire lid just to water seems like a design flaw in your enclosure.

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
wow great answers guys thought someone might know something
Up to that point you got one sarcastic answer, the rest were good advice and trying to get at the nature of what it is you need.

you can read tons of posts where rosies hate misting, and hate water on their substrate, making them climb walls until the conditions change.

4 days is a SHORT time for a T to adjust/become familiar with the new surroundings.

It is easier to deal with their behavior than try to change it.

bengalfan

Arachnopeon
thanks nerri im using coco fiber and im hoping it settles down it burrowed last night. i have also used vermiculite and never seen one act this way.might try something like your talking about for water instead of opening top and removig the dish. the tarantula is young only about 1 inch and quick.but does seem to be sttling down. dont have any experience w/young ones all ive ever kept have been older.

Last edited: