any way to discourage climbing?

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
thanks nerri im using coco fiber and im hoping it settles down it burrowed last night. i have also used vermiculite and never seen one act this way.might try something like your talking about for water instead of opening top and removig the dish. the tarantula is young only about 1 inch and quick.but does seem to be sttling down. dont have any experience w/young ones all ive ever kept have been older.
At only 1" a water dish is really not the best idea. The spider is too small, and you run the risk of it drowning in it. How big of an enclosure is it in at that size? With my slings that like dry substrate and are too small for water dishes, I just moisten one corner or side of their enclosure once a week. That way the majority of their substrate is dry, but they still have access to water in that one spot.

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well you could have a quiet word with it, failing that just let spiders be spiders I guess........ :)

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
am using a small bottle cap 1/2 diameter. would misting a corner be better?
At the size you said the spider is, I would not personally feel comfortable with a water dish in with it. So yes, if it was me, I would continue "misting" (wetting substrate) in one spot, until it was bigger. I don't give any of my spiders a small water dish until they hit about 2" DLS.

BillieJean

Arachnopeon
Billie Jean, Not saying that you are keeping them too moist but mine like it bone dry. I keep them on peat. They did best up to .75" or so with the sub only faintly damp. After that, they'd ride the sides when it got that way. I also start them with a waterdish (coke cap) earlier than most do- around 1" and halfway filled. Trouble is that after a big meal they often flip or fill it- and I have to replace with new- which isn't much when we're talking about a deli-cup- sized enc.
I think you're right about the moisture level, but I don't want to cause them too much stress so I am just letting it air out during the day and adding a bit of drier coco-fiber, and they seem to not be riding the walls less than yesterday. Although, when I was airing it out today one decided to run onto my [dry] hand for a bit :p

I have noticed a mold spring up in the wetter enclosures, but it doesn't seem to be a problem because I just it as soon as I notice it—correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think mold that grows on substrate (or a bolus) would be harmful for the tarantula.