Any tips on setting up a aroborial habitat for a Heteroscodra maculata

Blewis1993

Arachnopeon
Hey all i need some advice in setting up Heteroscodra maculata enclosure im trying to make it as naturalistic as possible and was wondering what the best substrate would be as well as plants for it thank you im only asking as iv previously only had experience with arachnids from dry climates such as my
Pterinochilus murinus, and my pelinobus muticus so any help would be welcome

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
I keep mine on eco earth with cork bark flats with a good amount of substrate as they both burrowed and spend equal time in burrows or up on the cork bark. I put some fake plants up top as anchor points as well. I attached a photo looking down on my enclosure for H.mac enclosure

Attachments

Finikan

Painter of Poorly Rendered Images
Arachnosupporter +
I keep mine on coco fiber with a cork bark tube 1/3-1/2 of the way filled with substrate. Plants up top in case it decides to hide out on the tube.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I knew someone that liked using bamboo poles for them to hide in. Cork will work too. They are a secretive species in my experience, and certainly not for beginners.

Blewis1993

Arachnopeon
Im used to aggressive Ts just never kept any that require humidity and or vertical tanks. Was kind of wanting to use a bio active soil of some kind though

Finikan

Arachnosupporter +
I wouldn't call H. Mac "aggressive", more like an 8 legged vampire. Super light sensitive. You won't see the slings much. In my experience they are rather fragile little pet holes.

Blewis1993

Arachnopeon
I wouldn't call H. Mac "aggressive", more like an 8 legged vampire. Super light sensitive. You won't see the slings much. In my experience they are rather fragile little pet holes.
See this lil one has been out since iv had it its probably the enclosure but im waiting on the new one to arrive

Attachments

Finikan

Arachnosupporter +
Yep, give it plenty of sub to burrow in and leaves to hide in. Right now it just has no way to hide, which is why you're seeing it out.

I keep mine dry with a full water dish and plenty of ventilation. Some people moisten a corner of the sub, but I haven't found it necessary. I never see mine preferring wet sub over the cork bark dirt-curtain tube.

Finikan

Arachnosupporter +
Maybe someone else can weigh in on this, but I see spraying the sub down daily as a breeding ground for mold. Water dish will be just fine.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Iv been spraying it down once a day to keep the humidity it up
Why?

You don't need high humidity for this species...

Im used to aggressive Ts just never kept any that require humidity and or vertical tanks. Was kind of wanting to use a bio active soil of some kind though
All soil is bioactive... It's a marketing ploy to get people to pay more for the same item

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Mine's just in a typical non-Avic arboreal setup.

DSC_0001.jpg

No need to fixate on humidity, stop spraying (it's really inefficient for maintaining sub moisture and does little more than annoy the tarantula as you're basically firing pressurised water/air into a confined space housing a walking sensory organ with fangs), this species does absolutely fine if you overflow the water dish to dampen the sub around it and repeat when it dries out.

Last edited:

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
One, you dont need to do this, and two you do not need to worry about humidity here or for thhis species. Stop misting, naturally humidity is a by-product of soil moisture in enclosures but its unimportant to measure or think about, you can overflow the water dish from time to time when it hhhas dried back out, but do not do it on a schedule or it will get swampy there.
All soil is bioactive... It's a marketing ploy to get people to pay more for the same item
I kkow hhahhahha I love when people completely miss this like all thhe time and fall for thhe ploy of "bioactive soil" hhehe Glad someone else gets it!!