Any tips on rehousing?

ArachnidAB

Arachnopeon
Hi all
I rehoused my Chilobrachys huahini sling and it was the worst 1.5 hours of my life, I was just curious as I'm new to the hobby, has anybody got any good tips to rehoused a tarantula quickly and easily?
TIA

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
That beats my record of spending quarter of an hour tearing my room apart trying to apprehend mine after her escape attempt.

Scumbag Chilo.JPG

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Tom Moran’s rehousing tutorials on YT may be beneficial. Your particular situation may warrant particular attention to his C. lividus rehousing video.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I always use a tub. Take any decor out that's in the way then place a tub over the tarantula. Once I've done that I carefully slide a lid under making sure not to trap any legs. Snap the lid on and job done.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
0. Prepare yourself.
1. Prepare the new enclosure.
2. Locate the tarantula.
3. Put two enclosures side by side.
4. Open both enclosures.
5. Gently lure out the tarantula.
6. Close the enclosures.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I typically just cup the spider and slide a lid under the cup to catch it. This method requires that you're not jumpy, though.

Remember, if you feel anxious or jumpy, relax for a moment. Stop what you're doing. Take a few deep breaths. Shake off the shakes. Then go back at it.

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
For bolty sp. I take a piece of cardboard larger than the enclosure, cut a hole in it that's smaller than my catch cup and punch a hole for my paintbrush to go through on the opposite side.

Take off the lid, lay the cardboard on top with the catch cup over the hole, coax the T into the cup with my brush, slide the cup across the cardboard so it's contained, then slide a small piece under the cup and transfer into the new enclosure. If it's a particularly feisty spider, I just leave the cup in the enclosure and take it out after the T has made itself comfortable in it's new home.

(I live directly next to a school and close to a daycare, so I don't take chances when it comes to rehouses and escapes)

Tom Moran’s rehousing tutorials on YT may be beneficial.
I think I actually found this method on one of his videos. I think it was a P. cam rehouse?

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
0. Prepare yourself.
1. Prepare the new enclosure.
2. Locate the tarantula.
3. Put two enclosures side by side.
4. Open both enclosures.
5. Gently lure out the tarantula.
6. Close the enclosures.
Refer to the image I posted above. This is exactly how I ended up in that mess :embarrassed::eek::dead:

Edit: This is how I used to do most of my rehouses and 99% of the time they'd go off without a hitch.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Those Chilobrachy's move fast.. Keep a fresh pair of shorts handy and make sure someone records it so we can see..No, I personally just make sure to do it on the floor in an open area with a few catch cups handy. I catch cup the T then transfer it to the cage and leave the cup in..only allowing enough room for a tiny paintbrush to get the T in the cup. A fun experience transferring these, ADRENALINE!!!

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
I do mine in the bathroom with a trowel under the door or in the bathtub just be safe.

(Though, I did that once with my stirmi and accidentally used a catch cup that wasn’t nearly big enough and she literally bolted out and climbed my toilet brush!!! Eventually hot my biggest Tupperware container and got her but GOOD GOD that was by far my most nightmarish rehouse.)

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Wow....what a wasteful reply
It may have came off a bit abrupt, but the point is valid. T's are notoriously unpredictable, so why make it harder on yourself and go straight up with one of most unpredictable there is? In Australia we don't really have a choice because all species here are OW and we can't import any NW ones, so we have to prepare for straight up chaos on our first rehouse, but overseas you have access to some much easier and more beginner friendly species that are great for getting experience with. Chilobrachys sp. are probably not one of them. I'm not trying to come across as rude or anything, just a thought.

For my S.Kotzman (the angriest species in Australia) I get a tall round plastic container that can fit over nearly all of the tarantula, and after removing any decor from the T's current enclosure I just quickly but gently place it over the T once it is visible and accessible. Once it's inside (if necessary I nugde it's legs with a plastic spoon or long tweezers) I gently lift the container and place the lid on.

You can now mock the trouble maker inside the catch container without it going inside that favourite pair of shoes under the bed

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
NW rehousing:

Maybe do the cup method in a secure area like bathtub.

Old world rehousing:

Rent a football stadium, place birth enclosures at the middle of the fifty yard line and attempt the transfer. Be sure to wear a Kevlar armour suit, and a flame-thrower is not a bad idea in case something goes wrong.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Hi all
I rehoused my Chilobrachys huahini sling and it was the worst 1.5 hours of my life, I was just curious as I'm new to the hobby, has anybody got any good tips to rehoused a tarantula quickly and easily?
TIA
Calm species just get nudged into their new homes (working within a bin).

Fast, defensive, or highly venomous species get either the "catch cup" or the "place the old enclosure in the new enclosure and let it come out on its own" method.

Keep catch cups handy; it doesn't hurt to have a second pair of eyes/hands on standby.

It's easier to master good techniques with beginner-friendly species. I shudder to think how my first rehousing would have gone if it were a Pokie and not an Avic.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
That beats my record of spending quarter of an hour tearing my room apart trying to apprehend mine after her escape attempt.

View attachment 313742
Just read this, Ive spent 2 hours 13 minutes with a bolty, 5" MM Phlogius sp. running around the room after a failed attempt at pairing. That was NOT pretty. The geckos didn't help either by trying to eat him through the glass of their tanks despite being half his size. One can only understand the terror of such events by experiencing it :rofl:

Last edited:

krbshappy71

Arachnosquire
I typically just cup the spider and slide a lid under the cup to catch it. This method requires that you're not jumpy, though.

Remember, if you feel anxious or jumpy, relax for a moment. Stop what you're doing. Take a few deep breaths. Shake off the shakes. Then go back at it.
This is exactly my advice! love this! Practice makes....not perfect but less scary. :) Great job doing it successfully, @ArachnidAB @The Grym Reaper Grim Reaper that meme is AWESOME!! Made my day!