any tips?? new handler here....

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i've had my G. Rosea now for about 2 years so i'm not that new...but i really never handled her because she was adult when i bought her and not really tame...but i just bought an Aphonopelma moderatum juvie...i've been holding her often and she seems very docile and tame...but what should i keep her in?
and should i keep heat lamps on my T's??? because i never kept one on the G. Rosea and she does just fine.

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

There will always be debate on the proper size for tarantulariums. I usually give them something larger than they need, scott here keeps them all in little plastic cups.

As far as handling is concerned... its not for everyone. Alot of it comes with experience and learning for yourself what a T's natural signals are and how to respect them. You shouldnt feel forced to do it nor is it neccesary - your t does not feel the need to be held.

Im going to have to smack down that heat lamp idea. It is possibly the worst way to heat an enclosure due to its tendency to dry out the substrate and possible the T. Down here in florida I do not use any sort of artificial heat, and allow the metabolism to slow during the winter. Elsewhere in colder temperates I would suggest:

1.Run the heat, keeping the house at 75 in the summer and no lower than 65 in the winter should be fine.

2.A heat pad, but make sure theres an area that is not affected so the T can flee should it feel the need to.

-V

bodc21

Arachnojason
Old Timer
i dont hold any of my t's and ive noticed a big diff in my male rosey when i used to have him in a big 20 gal tank which was by far way to big for him he became really nervous i got him in a lil kritter keeper he likes it alot better,hell he doesnt bother me anymore when i change his water my other t's such as my pinktoes are set up in kritter keepers also they are doing just fine my cobalt is in a 10 gallon tank i never see her,also my asian black that i jus got a couple of days ago is in a 5 gallon tank she or he has made a burrow never to be seen again!

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
wow alright guys...thanks for the help, i'll keep those tips in mind... bodc21 you say you have a cobalt blue, i plan i either getting a cobalt or a goliath birdeater for my birthday coming up.

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
When I first got my twin's rosies I put them in a Huge habitat each. They acted agitated and upset.
So I figured it was something in the habitat bothering them. So I cleaned it out and out new stuff in.
Needless to say that didn't help.
So I put them in a split ten gallon one day so I could figure out what was " wrong" with the Big habitat. They started " carpeting" right away. Seemed Lots happier. So I set them up their water dishes and pot caves and a plant each and they seem Very happy. They eat well, trundle around, tend their " carpeting" and preen. Stretch out and cat nap and in general just Look more comfortable. So they have about five gallon space each.
The twins A. veriscolor and their L.parahybana are both in two gallon converted cheese ball tubs. Versicolor's set up with the tall things for her needs. The parahybana's set up for his burrowing pleasure.
Their seemanni has a ten gallon habitat because she just Seemed like she needed more roaming roam and uses the space. Seeming very happy. She has various places she likes to lounge at certain times of the day.
Their P. murinus is in a fifteen gallon enclosier. But she's not doing a Bit of webbing or much of anything else except attacking everything that moves. So I'm thinking of putting her in something a little smaller perhaps. And putting the P. cambridgei in that space. Since it seems alot more active and busy.
The Tiny little spiderlings.. The N.coloratovillosus and C. fimbriatus are still in the largish pill bottles I purchased them in.
I Had their Blondi in a HUGE enclosier. Thinking he could just Grow into it. And he will eventualy. I moved him to a gallon K.Keeper till he moults into some more size.
Watch your T.s. I've found ours have given hints and signals as to their comfort.

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
alright i'll be sure to keep a watch on the T's...i suppose especially my g. rosea because she's an elderly T, whereas my A. moderatum is a baby.

Risto