Any suggestions on an Intermediate New World Species.

RatKing216

Arachnopeon
The title says it all, but are there any suggestions for a New World species at all? I'm looking for a Terrestrial Species that isn't too fast moving. More of a slow to medium speed. But I would like some vibrant colors with nice patterns too. I already have a Green Bottle Blue, so I'd like other suggestions outside of that species. If at all possible please provide the Scientific Name along with the Common Name. I'm still new to the hobby. Thanks. :)

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mexican Fireleg( B.boehmei)
Mexican redknee(B.smithi)
IMHO,these fit what you are looking for.

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
You already have an "intermediate" species, so get whatever looks attractive to you. C. cyaneopubescens are faster moving than many other new world terrestrials, and can be a bit defensive. So if you are wanting something slower moving but colourful, I would suggest something from the Brachypelma genus. If you want to try an arboreal tarantula, there are many beautiful and colourful Pinktoes, just check out the Avicularia picture thread. They are normally nice and calm.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Get some C. ritae aka Peruvian Black & White Dwarf Beauty :D Mine are little spitfires & take off running at any chance they get, despite having burrows to retreat to. Silly babies. Big plus is they are a dwarf species & vividly marked.

kean

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ephebopus cyanognathus (Blue Fang Skeleton) :D

smuey

Arachnopeon
Cyclosternum fasciatum. Pretty fast, but stunning colors! (well, ok, when you actualy SEE them, that is...)

Unravel

Arachnosquire
Geniculata! such a fun T, so angry too :evil: mine pounces on water being poured while being really fat as is.. but that makes her predictable and she isnt THAT fast. Overall i think they're fun.

shanebp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My two suggestions were already named, but i'll post em together.

P.irminia
A.geniculata

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What about P. cancerides, the Hatian Brown? I picked up a 3" juvie at a show a little while back, just because it was there at the booth and they didn't have the pokies I was hoping for. I was very pleasantly surprised. This T is very fast growing and has some nice irridescence similar to Avicularia, it's not just brown at all. The behavior is similar to A. geniculata, very defensive but more bark than bite. It is also fairly curious and interactive. It always goes after water when I squirt it onto the substrate, is an incredibly aggressive feeder and is just generally active. They're great display animals because of this, not a pet hole at all (as adults).

Not much of a handler though, these guys are pretty hands off, but that's what I call intermediate. I think the species is underrated and overlooked. I love mine.

LV-426

Arachnobaron
i can only speak from experience with my own Ts: P cancerides, P cambridgei, A geniculata, and N chromatus are all cool intermediate NW Ts

Den

Arachnosquire
If you say you want a colorful new world intermediate terrestrial than boy do I got a T for you! pamphobeteus sp. (males are the more colorful)

heatfreakk3

Arachnopeon
I would suggest B.smithi. They have great colors are are pretty calm. N.cromatus are pretty cool to, I have one, I have heard that they can be a little nervous sometimes and will flick hairs. Mine is a little skittish.