Any Small(ish) New World Arboreals?

Regal Jumpers

Arachnopeon
I have a 8x8x12 tank set up to be semi/full tropical, and I'm new to tarantula keeping, but interested. I know that New World tend to be less aggressive, so that's what I'm going for. There's a Repticon coming up in my area, an I know that one of the vendors is a tarantula/scorpion breeder. I'm planning to get one from there. Any suggestions are very much appreciated!

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
"...Less Aggressive" is a term that some people will find offensive...Generally it is referred to as "...Less Defensive". I can see why the term "aggressive" is used so readily, and I understand and appreciate the usage of the term. Just be cognizant that there are those who are much less understanding.

For the dimensions of your enclosure, most any medium to small tarantula sized adult would be happy living in it. It would be much easier to see the enclosure and have a look at the depth of substrate, the hide or housing in the enclosure and how much open space is there from substrate to enclosure ceiling.

I will say that if the plants are not plastic and are in fact live plants, then you'll need solid cross ventilation so that the enclosure does not become a muggy hot house for your pet.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Tapinauchenius sp and many Avicularia sp are rather small. Tappies tend to be fast and defenssive though!

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
I re-read the OPs initial post and I entirely missed the word "Arboreal" in the title of this thread...

So Yeah...I was talking about general species, not just arboreals.

Goodness

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Why did you make a new thread? :confused:

I already asked for pictures in your other thread to see how you set up your enclosure. It would be just easier to advise you.

Regal Jumpers

Arachnopeon
sry about the new thread, I just got on today, still figuring out the basics of this community tbh

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Avicularia minatrix (or any of the smaller Aviculariinae for that matter).
Psalmopoeus langenbucheri
Any Tapinauchenius
Thrixopelma ockerti

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
I have my C versicolor in a 8x8x12 enclosure and that is plenty is space as long as you talking inches not cm

T Lurksalot

Arachnopeon
Good suggestions here, overall there are lots of Aviculariinae and Psalmopoeinae that would be happy in such a space, just make sure that if it’s one of those with the screen lid you swap that out with plexi before using it. Since you’re going to be searching at a Repticon it’s a pretty good bet someone there will have an A. Avic or similar.

Regal Jumpers

Arachnopeon
I have my C versicolor in a 8x8x12 enclosure and that is plenty is space as long as you talking inches not cm
Yes i mean inches

Also, do A. avicularia need a water dish, just misting, a water sponge, or what? I can't find a great website for pinktoe care.

Last edited by a moderator:

cold blood

Staff member
All ts should have a water dish...and no water dish should EVER have a sponge.

Misting can be done, but its not for husbandry, just for drinking opportunities....misting, if done, should be both minimal and infrequent.

Avics should be kept dry. If you have live plants, i would choose something other than an avic.

There is a fantastic thread available here on Avic care (just posted)...i would suggest reading it.

Feral

Arachnobaron
Avics should be kept dry. If you have live plants, i would choose something other than an avic.
Exactly, but also thank you for saying this part in particular.

I'm a big proponent of planted enclosures in general, myself, but not for Avicularia et al. Their moisture requirements prevent safe cohabitation with any plant, imo. Same for C. cyaneopubescens.

Sadly, ruling out the Avicularia et. al., the only arboreals left as options might be a bit to quick and/or spicy for the OP. If so, maybe some of the other non-tarantula inverts might be better options.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My C. versicolor got to 6” legspan. An 8x8x12 will be good for a juvenile, but you will have to upgrade to a larger enclosure eventually if you get this species.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
P. reduncus
I will also tell you that a live planted terrarium will needlessly over complicate tarantula keeping.
Not at all! The key is to get the right plant for the right type of tarantula

20191120_174723.jpg Paludriums with diffrent plants are totally overcomplicated and will not work, but planting a moist terrarium for say an asian terastrial, T stirmi or even a T albopilosum with a single Epipremnum is not, they tolerates almost dark slightly moist to moist substrate with usally non issues. If it against all odds die, just throw it away!

The picture above is from my P atrichomatus enclosure. Have had the plant in there for 6 month. No lighting over the tank, as you can see it is very dark!

In 95% of my enclosures i have no plant, but to say it is overcomplicated i have to disagree to!

Last edited by a moderator: