Any rosy boa owners here?

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I was wondering if anyone owns a rosy boa, I'm going to be getting one soon, and the guy I'm buying mine from said they aren't very popular. I can't figure out why. They are cute, sweet, gentle, rarely bite, and don't get so big that they become hard to handle. Am I missing something? :?

Bear Foot Inc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was wondering if anyone owns a rosy boa, I'm going to be getting one soon, and the guy I'm buying mine from said they aren't very popular. I can't figure out why. They are cute, sweet, gentle, rarely bite, and don't get so big that they become hard to handle. Am I missing something? :?
I know i for one like snakes that are mean and try to bite alot...;P
Though its alwais nice to have a snake that is calm. I think its maybe that they are not active enough... not sure realy I've never kept one.

wicked

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
We have a rosy boa. My youngest boy saved his money and begged for two years to get a snake. With a little research the rosy came out top of our list. He is a really cool snake.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Oh, how cute!!!! They are both adorable!!!! Thanks for the answer, I was starting to feel like the only person in the world who is interested in them.

Bear Foot, you may have a point about the not being mean and trying to bite, they don't. They are somewhat active though. More so than my ball python and people like those. Oh, well, I don't think I'll figure it out.

Bear Foot Inc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Bear Foot, you may have a point about the not being mean and trying to bite, they don't. They are somewhat active though. More so than my ball python and people like those. Oh, well, I don't think I'll figure it out.
I was just joking about my only liking the bitey ones, But for lots of people having a snake is a macho thing :embarrassed: and a little cute docile snakes does not cut it:) Good luck keeping them. I should get one someday, they look realy nice.

~Samuel

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I was joking myself, Bear Foot. I do understand that some people like to keep animals for pets that are more active.

Natemass

Arachnolord
Old Timer
well what info are you askin about i have owned them, what locale you getting it from?

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think its the fact that they hide under ground all day that makes them not so popular? :? Other than that I think they would be agreat snake to have. I like the Mexican subspecies the best, even though I have never had it.

wicked

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Our rosy hardly ever hides under ground. He does have a hide and a grape vine that he likes to hang out behind. I don't know why they wouldn't be popular. Good eaters, easy to keep, no messing with humidity (they like it dry), no stupid fire hazard lights, calm. They are a bit pricey when compared to a corn snake, but other than that I can't think of a down side to them. :)
I will have to get a newer pic of Dread and post it.

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i dont think its a macho thing, some people really just love the large snakes like regular red tail boas.

I do think rosy's are gorgeous though

Bear Foot Inc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i dont think its a macho thing, some people really just love the large snakes like regular red tail boas.

I do think rosy's are gorgeous though
I'm not saying that its that way all the time. For me i keep some large boa's and i love them very much. As i do my kings and milks and BP's. But when someone is going out to buy a "cool" snake which is what happens so much they are not going to get one of those! They want a burm or something huge.
~Samuel

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
well what info are you askin about i have owned them, what locale you getting it from?
Nate, I am looking for anythng anyone can tell me. I know that they are good handling pets, I did finally find a caresheet, and I know they have to be kept at very low humidity. I haven't been able to find anything consistant on lifespan, or size as adults.
Mine is a coastal San Diego male and he is about 31 inches long. (I got him yesterday, I didn't have him yet when I started this thread) He is in a 10 gallon tank with a screen top, a heat pad under half of it, and two hides. One on the cool side one on the hot. Hot side temp stays between 85 and 90 cool side between 75 and 80. He does have a deep water dish filled less than half way. I wasn't comfortable not giving him one.
Is all of that okay? Is there anything else I need to know?