Any regrets?

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
Not really I'm the sort of person that makes the best of a crap situation, I won't just sit there and be disappointed, but over the last 20 years I've bought and sold hundreds, what I do regret is not keeping more for myself. I've had so many hard to get sub species in whopping XL sizes that I will probably never ever see again. Back to sling raising for me

Moebius

Arachnopeon
I've regretted not getting something when available, and not enough of something when I did pretty frequently. The magic number of 5 seems to be our lucky sweet spot, anytime I did 3 or 2, or 1, regrets not getting more. We have too many of one species, but I enjoy them so it's not a full on regret; someone will get lucky with a reared up individual in the future.

Species wise, almost-but-not-really Cyriocosmus elegans as a V-day gift; one of my favorites as far as looks go, but insanely reclusive little thing even compared to the other pet-hole species, so a half-hearted regret at best, I see various OWs noted to be photosensitive more often lol. Still, she's a curious little treat when she does peek out. As is, I see the Phormingochillus sp. rufus and O. schiodtei more often and perhaps surprisingly.

No interest in LPs; my gal and I have a juvie male because, well, she wanted to have an LP, but I'm much more keen on the less common L. difficilis if mucking about Lasiodora. Perhaps someone will need him down the road for a project, but I have 0 desire in breeding the species myself, so he's the gals impulse buy (fun to feed though!). As is, I could do without; the draw LPs have are easily eclipsed by many other species for me, and if I want a beefy T with nasty hairs, there are plenty of Theraphosa and Pamphobeteus I'd go for instead. Being cheap/free isn't really a thing for me (even if thats a big draw for others getting into the hobby); I'd rather have a Nhandu chromatus when it comes to that.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I regret i was not stubborn enough when i bred X immanis! I bred 2 females around 10 times and got 2 infertile sacks. I schould kept on bteeding them. Spiderlings from this speicies would have been really fun!

Mbranconnier

Arachnopeon
Not a particular species, but I found that keeping Ts in general can make it harder to date. Before my interest in tarantulas, I was an arachnophobe, simply because it was passed down from my mother. Once I moved out, I started to question this irrational fear and it evolved into fascination. Thinking back, I wouldn't know how I would have reacted, if a date told me that she keeps tarantulas... and IMO that's understandable, since it's quite an exotic hobby. I've had multiple Ladies visit my home since getting into the hobby in November and the reactions are all over the place... as if dating isn't hard enough already :lol:. On the other side, it's nice to see people being open about the hobby, when confronted for the first time. In that sense, my Ts can be a mood checker as well ;). So far no regrets!
SAME!!!!!

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
I don’t regret any of them. It continues to WOW me every time I see a new species in person that I haven’t kept before.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I don't really regret any species. Because I have so many T's I even enjoy pet holes, when I see them it's a special surprise, but if I don't see them I have plenty of others to look at. The closest thing to a regret I have is my second Lp freebie. Unlike a lot of people on here I like Lps but I already had a female and a freebie sling, didn't really need a third.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
NO REGERTS...I saw this tattooed on a guys arm, couldn't help myself. He was huge, probably illiterate...and it about killed me not to laugh out loud...

As to spiders...I've thoroughly loved every spider that I have owned...each and everyone of them is a favorite of mine. :cool:

cold blood

Staff member
NO REGERTS...I saw this tattooed on a guys arm, couldn't help myself. He was huge, probably illiterate...and it about killed me not to laugh out loud...

As to spiders...I've thoroughly loved every spider that I have owned...each and everyone of them is a favorite of mine. :cool:
That was in a commercial a while back (snickers if im not mistaken)....i think of it every time i see the word regret used.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
That was in a commercial a while back....i think of it every time i see the word regret used.
I saw the header for this thread and it reminded of that guy, like a light went on I could see it again...OMG!!!... o_O

Not even sure he knew or not. :bag:

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
5076D1E1-F395-45FE-B56B-3B4C58BEDD77.jpeg
I got lucky with my H. mac. She is always out and always hungry.

I regret not having an obt or Psalmopoeus right now

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Mine are both out at least 12 hours a day. I see them EVERY day, and one’s a sling. You have to make them run.
My 4" female will happily chill on the front of her bark all day but as soon as you touch the enclosure she's off.

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
I would say I regretted getting my 2nd T, an Avic avic, for a while because it was always a terrible hunter, small, inactive, a weenie, and pooped all over the place, but I’m breeding it now for the experience and boy howdy does he Go For It!

So overall, no. He almost made me hate avics, though.

Honestly surprised at how many mentions of C elegans there are, though. My Cyriocosmus have always been visible because they’ve all dug right against the wall of their enclosure. I live for watching them snatch food down into their burrows.

Transrights

Arachnosquire
I personally don't really have any T that I regretted getting. The only thing I regret was not doing my proper research when I just started with my first T. I'm surprised my girl somehow survived those first 6 months with me.

Canada is just saturated with Heteroscodra maculata. There are so many brand new people with them, it's scary. I have no idea who it is that thinks that species is appropriate for brand new people. You can't even give them away.
There was that guy on reddit the other day, that said he just got himself an H. Maculata. Went to check his posting history and he had posted two weeks earlier that he had just gotten a T. Albopilosum as a first ever T, and he was posting very simple care questions about it.

Yeah it's scary to think how easily beginners people have access to them. I wonder how that issue could be solved.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Regrets? None currently. Check back with me when my first two OWs reach the size for rehousing. Given the growth rate, I've witnessed so far with both (C. marshalli, C. darling) you'll probably only have to wait until spring or early summer.

I too am on Team LP, by the way. I love mine. And I think that before they became so commonly bred with prolific results, they probably got a bit more respect. A tarantula that gives T. blondi a bit of a run for the money in regard to size, without the problems I've seen in reference to keeping a blondi.
As the saying goes, familiarity breeds contempt", and that might be the case with LPs

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Regrets? None currently. Check back with me when my first two OWs reach the size for rehousing. Given the growth rate, I've witnessed so far with both (C. marshalli, C. darling) you'll probably only have to wait until spring or early summer.

I too am on Team LP, by the way. I love mine. And I think that before they became so commonly bred with prolific results, they probably got a bit more respect. A tarantula that gives T. blondi a bit of a run for the money in regard to size, without the problems I've seen in reference to keeping a blondi.
As the saying goes, familiarity breeds contempt", and that might be the case with LPs
I agree, I personally love Lasiodora species. L. parahybanas are beautiful in their own way, I think. Although I personally tend to prefer some of the fluffy, more understated- looking tarantulas. Their large size alone is awesome, not to mention how they're such voracious eaters. But yeah, I definitely think that since they're so cheap and readily available, people have come to think of them as plain and uninteresting, much the same way some people see avics and curly hairs. They're seen as a basic, beginner species. But many of these species are popular for a reason!

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
I personally don't really have any T that I regretted getting. The only thing I regret was not doing my proper research when I just started with my first T. I'm surprised my girl somehow survived those first 6 months with me.

There was that guy on reddit the other day, that said he just got himself an H. Maculata. Went to check his posting history and he had posted two weeks earlier that he had just gotten a T. Albopilosum as a first ever T, and he was posting very simple care questions about it.

Yeah it's scary to think how easily beginners people have access to them. I wonder how that issue could be solved.
It is scary. Unfortunately so many people just don't do any research at all before getting an animal and have no clue what they're buying, although I'll admit that to a certain extent I did this too when I first started. Then they search for it online after the fact, and some of the first things that pop up are people handling Old World tarantulas on youtube. Or care sheets telling them to mist their spiders several times daily and use a heating mat.