Any references to help ID this Costa Rican T?

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This T was fond in Costa Rica a few months back. I'm not familiar with this species, but I was hoping someone here has seen it before. I've found a list of identified genera from that region, but I have not come across a description that matches this one yet. This is a field pic and not one that is in my collection so I cannot get better photos than these.

I realize photos aren't the best tools to use when identifying an animal, but any help would be appreciated.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I would contact Rick West or Andrew Smith with the photos.One of them should be able to help!
-Chris

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
No prob!My guess is it will be a Sericopelma species..
-Chris

sjl197

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You are never going to get an accurate ID on a wild spider from a photograph alone, sorry.

But, also my first thought was of Sericopelma. I would be curious how the location matches up with the original description for S.ferrunginium, which Valerio describes as "leg and abdomen reddish, covered by long yellow setae."

Some species Sericopelma go reddish/brown in premoult, and then become very different coloured after moulting, like greyish, or black. Colour is not at all good for taxonomic differences in this genus.

This is the key reference.
Valerio, C.E. 1980.
Arañas terafosidas de Costa Rica (Araneae, Theraphosidae). I. Sericopelma y Brachypelma. Brenesia 18: 259-288 [p. 264, fig. 7-8].