Any Recommendations for Centipede substrate

Lucyzd

Arachnopeon
Hi, I just want to ask some recommendations on substrate for my centipede. I'm planning to change it as well. I'm using coco peat for now.

Would you also recommend on putting a springtails for cleaners? Can spring tails attack, after the centipede molt? Thanks! 😁

Sterls

Arachnobaron
Springtails cannot harm your inverts. Isopods however have been known to munch on inverts after a molt.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
A lot of folks add in a little sand for texture and drainage to whatever soil mixture they are using. Or a little vermiculite to help hold moisture.

thomlennon

Arachnopeon
A lot of folks add in a little sand for texture and drainage to whatever soil mixture they are using. Or a little vermiculite to help hold moisture.
I always add a little activated charcoal to my soil mix

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Thank you!
Can you tell me an adequate mix ratio :happy:
I use filtered water from our drinking water system. Not the "Britta" crap, but a real filter system.

Last edited:

Scoly

Arachnobaron
I advise against coco peat/coir whatever it's called. Centipedes do eat it and it can cause gut impaction. I know people who have pulled strands out of their centipede's anus, and others who have dissected dead centipedes to find strands in the guts.

I use a mix of top soil, sand, moss peat, leaf litter, wood flakes & twigs and recently have been adding broken up dung pellets from the pachnoda feeder colony. I have a mix of native and tropical springtails in every enclosure, which don't harm centipedes (and neither do the vast majority of mites for that matter).

I don't like super absorbent substrates like coco coir because it seems to always be too wet or too dry, unless its in a small tub with very little ventilation, which is suitable for pedelings.

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
Are you getting confused with millipedes, my local store beads all there centipedes on coir

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
I always add a little activated charcoal to my soil mix
X2. In my experience it makes a huge difference to the viability of long term enclosures, Ive never had an enclosure "sour" whilst there was a small percentage of charcoal in the sub.
I've used it with everything I've kept in the last 30 years