Any reason NOT to get a Grammostola pulchra?

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
We had a L. violaceopes( C. sp.blue) sling that died during its first molt with us. It was calm when we housed it and honestly we rarely saw it, because it constructed itself a hide and camped out. So, our interaction was brief, but with a young one. We did not have any problems, until the failed molt. I loved its bright orange setae against the dark blue, very pretty contrast and we will eventually replace it.

Rue

Arachnoknight
Sounds so pretty!:D

I went shopping at Michaels...found two 3.5" square acrylic containers that I hope I can drill holes into...and a pretty tray to put them on (that was an impulse buy)...they had glass pebbles and polished rocks on sale...so I'll put some of those in the teeny 2 oz. bowls I picked up at Petland (for water).

I only found the ExoTerra Plantation Soil...so I bought a brick of it. If it's not suitable, I can keep looking. I have time.

I think I'll keep them in the powder room. It's windowless...but light comes in from the hallway...it's also the warmest room in the house. The mealworms already live in there (in a tub hidden in a wicker basket)...so may as well keep the T's in there too.

Attachments

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Exercise caution keeping them in the powder room. Fumes from bathroom cleaners could be toxic to them.

Rue

Arachnoknight
Thanks! :) I don't use too much in the way of toxic cleaners...but I can certainly move them out when I do!

Rue

Arachnoknight
The cheque is officially in the mail! Woohoo! Since it's too cold to ship...I paid the old-school way and opted for snail-mail...

Now I have to work on patience...:eek:

...maybe I'll go drill some holes...1/8" drill bit?

---------- Post added at 05:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 PM ----------

I hate to be right sometimes...:mad:

Drilling cracked the plastic box...since the box is now wrecked...I experimented and tried a couple of other ways (smaller drill bit, tape over the drill site, etc.)...still cracked the brittle acrylic...

Suggestions?

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well obviously I am a little late to the party but let me go ahead and give you the one reason not to. The grow so freakin S L O W. For that reason it's good that you got the 1" specimen. That 1/2" could represent as much as 6 months of growth, maybe even more.

As for drilling the acrylic cubes, I just cover the whole area with masking tape, use a marker to draw dots where I want the holes (purely cosmetic thing - keeps them straight) and drill slowly. Just let the bit and weight of the drill do the work, don't push.

Last edited:

captmarga

Arachnobaron
I love my little G. pulchra. She's super sweet.

I use the same kind of cubes, I use a dremel tool for drilling holes. Small bit, multiple holes. They are easy to stack if needed, and the various sizes are great.

Good luck with your new babies!

Here's my little Lullaby:

http://www.shadowscastle.net/111_lullaby.jpg (photo too large for page!)

Marga

peterock44

Arachnopeon
go to home depot/lowes/local hardware store and get yourself a cheap soldering iron, then just melt the holes through, much easier and absolutely no cracking. i do all my enclosures this way.

pete

ijmccollum

Arachnosquire
Clever cubes - what are the blue dishes? And as far as the G. pulchra, good choice. I just got one a couple of weeks ago from Ken the Bug Guy. Love it. It came in at about 1". I think you will be pleased with that size.

Rue

Arachnoknight
Thanks everyone! I'll try melting holes too ...I'll experiment on the cracked box first! I have a dremel...but no drill bits for it...

I'm interested to see just what the size difference between 1/2" and 1" is (er, in real life I mean ;)) ...

The bowls are little 2 oz. ceramic water dishes. I was going to fill them with gravel (so no one drowns) and add water - and sink them into the substate so the spiderlings can get at the water easily. Hopefully they'll hold a bit more water (than a bottle cap) and help with the humidity. Should be easy to keep clean too...

I just use shallow plastic dishes/ lids for my cockroaches...but they're in the basement where no one sees them...I'm trying to make these little enclosures a bit prettier...

Does anyone use R/O water? It's either that or well water (v. high in tannins). The well water hasn't hurt the roaches, so I'm assuming it's fine...and maybe even better with the minerals in it?

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Rue - I use the same water dishes, but only on juvies and adults over 2" DLS. A bottle cap is better for a sling. Lullaby still has a bottle cap, since she keeps filling it up with substrate and webbing over it. The ceramic dishes are a quick rinse, but if your T decides to fill them up, they get just as dirty as any other water dish! I have one or two Ts that web them and kick dirt in them daily, and two or three that have absolutely pristine dishes.

Marga

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
you could always just spray a side of the enclosure instead. 2oz condiment cups have been actual enclosures for .5" slings i've had in the past ;) (in fact i have a G. rosea RCF in one currently).

i've gotten past the point of fussing over water dishes for most of my Ts, in fact only stuff over 3" in the collection has one currently, since the juvie Brachy duo decided to be "mischevious" and fill them with sub.

Last edited:

Rue

Arachnoknight
Thanks guys! I will keep that in mind as I experiment with set-ups! :D

I'm just trying to keep myself busy until they get here...it's like waiting for a bizarre Xmas present...

Maybe I'll go play with a cockroach in the interim...{D

Leviticus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would also not advise using the water dish at that size, I usually wait u"ntil my spiders are around the 2" mark. I see that you have been "bitten" by the spider "bug". It starts out as another little pet but this hobby can really get you. Once you realizei the diversity of species, ease of maintenance for keeping many, little space needed you really can go nuts. I am sure I will be seeing you at some shows.

Rue

Arachnoknight
LOL...well, I might very well show up at a show to check things out...but I hope I don't start amassing a huge collection...:D

Leviticus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sure you don't, I never meant to either. I don't know what it is, I mean I have always loved all aspects of the animal husbandry hobby and have bred many species of fish and reptiles, but something about tarantulas and other invertebrates really makes it a mainstay. Like I said before maybe it is their relative hardiness and ease of maintenance, or the fact they can be left alone for long periods, moved without major hassle, easily transported accross country. I could go on and on about the benefits, but then again, I am a salesperson.

LOL...well, I might very well show up at a show to check things out...but I hope I don't start amassing a huge collection...:D

Rue

Arachnoknight
LOL...well, you've sold me on attending a show! When and where is the next one? Hopefully close to S'toon.

LV-426

Arachnobaron
the reasons i wouldnt get one is simple: slow growing, pricey (especially for a confirmed female), and i think that there are more interesting Ts available than a G pulchura.

Rue

Arachnoknight
Don't forget I'm a T beginner...

I suppose once you get a handle on them something fiestier can be more interesting. But I'm getting the Singapore Blue too...

LV-426

Arachnobaron
Don't forget I'm a T beginner...

I suppose once you get a handle on them something fiestier can be more interesting. But I'm getting the Singapore Blue too...
i just got me a 4.5in female Singapore blue last week, beautiful T, its just very shy and rarely seen.