Any other ant keepers here?

KaelKeepsAnts

Arachnopeon
Yep, I'm Swirlysnowflake from Formiculture. There are some other ant keepers here, but I completely forgot their usernames. Let me see if I can find them.
Oh hey.

Yep, I'm Swirlysnowflake from Formiculture. There are some other ant keepers here, but I completely forgot their usernames. Let me see if I can find them.

Edit: This person keeps ants: @scolopendra277
There is someone here named Arthroverts and someone named that is on FC.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
16099584877634718267216459991995.jpg
The queen is much smaller than she appears in the picture.
Half the size of even male alate carpenter ants.
I caught her in the spring. Took till august for these fist workers and nothing since. Been feeding sugar syrup and bits of fish food for protein.

Last edited:

Tarantulafeets

Arachnobaron
We have colony of tiny black ants and they live in the walls. It's pretty annoying, they're having m/f alates (I think that's what they are called) streaming out at night, and I'm just scared that they might start a colony in one of my t enclosures:confused: But I'm kind of used to it now I guess.

XxSpiderQueenxX

Arachnobaron
We have colony of tiny black ants and they live in the walls. It's pretty annoying, they're having m/f alates (I think that's what they are called) streaming out at night, and I'm just scared that they might start a colony in one of my t enclosures:confused: But I'm kind of used to it now I guess.
If you ever find dealate queens I'd be happy to purchase them lol

Also, if you can get any pics, I can try to help identify species. Tiny black ants makes me think Monomorium or Tetramorium but there's no way to know for sure without pics :)

KaelKeepsAnts

Arachnopeon
View attachment 371219
The queen is much smaller than she appears in the picture.
Half the size of even male alate carpenter ants.
I caught her in the spring. Took till august for these fist workers and nothing since. Been feeding sugar syrup and bits of fish food for protein.
Formica species. It's a species in the fusca group. I'm not good enough at identify to know which species, and I would probably need microscope pics for that. Just label it Formica fusca group.

KaelKeepsAnts

Arachnopeon
If you ever find dealate queens I'd be happy to purchase them lol

Also, if you can get any pics, I can try to help identify species. Tiny black ants makes me think Monomorium or Tetramorium but there's no way to know for sure without pics :)
Do they have heart shaped gasters (ant term for abdomen)?

Ponerinecat

Arachnobaron
Formica fusca group are all extremely alike and it's nigh impossible to get them to species without very good pictures. Small black ants could be anything, depending on location. Tapinoma, Monomorium, Tetramorium, Solenopsis, Crematogaster, Linepithema, Plagiolepis, Technomyrmex, Ochetellus, on and on and on. 3 of the most diverse subfamilies are all possible, maybe even 4 if we consider some of the more unlikely candidates like Brachyponera.

XxSpiderQueenxX

Arachnobaron
Formica fusca group are all extremely alike and it's nigh impossible to get them to species without very good pictures. Small black ants could be anything, depending on location. Tapinoma, Monomorium, Tetramorium, Solenopsis, Crematogaster, Linepithema, Plagiolepis, Technomyrmex, Ochetellus, on and on and on. 3 of the most diverse subfamilies are all possible, maybe even 4 if we consider some of the more unlikely candidates like Brachyponera.
The person with the small black ants is in Brea, CA.