Any one want to ID?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have found two of these guys in the last day and never seen them around my area till now. But anyway, they have big jaws, and like to eat other insects, the one I took pics of was found dragging a earth worm across the sidewalk, and the one I got last night murdered a dubia baby in no time flat. What the heck are these? Oh and they like to curl back their backsides almost acting like a mantis minus all the mantis parts.

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That's a "Devil's Coach Horse" (Staphylinus olens). They're really cool, agressive little things and love to eat earthworms. Check out this wikipedia article.

I find them outside of my work all the time. They might make interesting pets :)

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Can't ID to species from those pics but arachnocat certainly has the Genus correct.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ill try and get closer pics for species id later, I really am suprised how mean they try to be. I am assuming he will bit me if I gave it a chance. earwing really? Even without the pincers on the rear? Interesting. Ill just keep them in moist peat and feed and see what happens. I think I might have a male and a female. Thanks for the info!

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It's not an earwig, it's a type of beetle. They're one of my favorite bugs because they have such an attitude ;P

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
:clap: yes rove beetle,i love those yeah they do have an additude,fun to keep aswell. very nice find!

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Oh I learned something new, I thought beetles had to have wings...... or at least a hard shell. I am new to the rules of the insect world as you can tell. :}

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Rove beetles do have wings, they are tucked under the shortened and leathery elytra that on most beetles is hard and covers the entire abodmen.

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Does anyone know if you could keep a few together or would they eat eachother?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Does anyone know if you could keep a few together or would they eat eachother?
We will find out I put two in together. And I think one is laying eggs every now and then.............
I found another one today and it was dead, so I took it apart looking for wings and found none.....:confused: maybe I missed them somehow?

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Now how do you raise the grubs? Aren't they often parasites of ant/ground bee nests?

Btw, the elytra are right behind the thorax, just extremely shortened...so if you peeled them off the flying wings should be under there...that is...if they have them.

M.F.Bagaturov

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This is the beetle species very close to family Carabidae (ground-beetles) and it is a predator, so keeping them together im small enclosure can cause consumation at final. Their larvae lives underground and also a predator just like carabidae larvae as far as I'm remeber.

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Carabidae are in the suborder Adephaga, and Staphylinidae are in the suborder Polyphaga....so really they aren't closely related at all. Staph larvae across the family feed on many different things, but I'd bet the larvae of those are predacious.