Any one wanna help??

Ookamii

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Capture a 10foot+ retic? she get out about a year ago, she now lives at the lake near my home, in Sept i saw her and she was about 10 feet long, shes living off the native wild life hear, and thats bad for the enviroment. Also its a fishing spot for the locals of my neighborhood.... and i just want me retic back, i was by myself last time i saw her and took the smart way and just went back home, i was NOT about to handle her by my self, she had BAD tank aggression before she got out, and would tag you, and musk you. She also would strike the glass when you just walked into the same room as her. I live just west of Houston Texas, and was woundering if any Herpers would like the challange?

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Wow that is so irresponsible of you. Someone in that area please help him; we don't need more bad publicity on retics. If the snake does get caught, I would suggest giving it to someone that knows what they are doing.

Don't mean to be rude, but it's cases like this why the government is trying to ban our keeping of reptiles.

Ookamii

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I do know what i am doing, i was out of town for a week and it was my husband that forgot to put her lock back on her cage, when i got back into town she was gone. He wasnt used to owning any reptiles besides a corn snake that didnt require a lock, and a burm that lived in a bathroom of his friends house, so after bringing her out to try and calm her aggression like we did every day he forgot the lock. Trust me ive been trying to get her back SINCE she got out, spent 10 hours a day every day, even while i was 8 months pregnant looking for her, wich is why when i finally found where she is living i didnt mess with her because i was 9 months pregnant by then.

Last edited:

Crawly

Arachnopeon
I wish I could help. If you can figure out a spot on land where it hide,s that would probably be your best bet in my opinion. I wonder if there is a way you could trap it. If it's not a big lake, you could actively search for it, but definitely have 2 or 3 people with you and a large tub, or a large bag made of durable fabric, and a hook strong enough to aid in maneuvering the snake. It may take several attempts, but if you have a general idea of where it hides, persistence should pay off. Also, on a cooler day you might do better as it may be more sluggish.

I know a lot of this is common sense, but it's what I'd do if I was in that situation.

Good Luck

Ookamii

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
:)I have the tub already its a large steralite that i can easily fit in my self. :eek: its getting cold hear now, so the sluggish part should be easier on me, i have a few friends that might help me. but i dont have a hook i can use for her... could i just fashon one from rebar? I have a big thick cloth that i use for my cats to scratch on (not the same peice but same material) could that be helpfull? throw it over her and grab her behind the head while other people get her body at the same time? The lake is not very big... maybe a football feild size.

Thank you for your helpfull suggestions Crawly.:)

Crawly

Arachnopeon
You could throw it over her head, but I'd probably go for the tail at first and try keeping the snake as straightened out a possible, in order to wear it down a bit. that will lessen the chance of you or a friend taking a pretty nasty bite. Pythons in general wear down pretty quickly in comparison to say a rat snake or kingsnake. If you wear it down a bit (without stressing it out too much so try to be as gentle as possible too), it should make containing and transferring it much easier, at least in theory.

the toe cutter

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok so first off WOW! I am amazed that only one person has comented on this negatively. Its stuff like this that makes me cringe and really want to push the big red flashing button and atleast make people get permits for large constrictors. This is why these bans are wreaking havoc upon the reptile industry and are an iminent threat to other responsible keepers and breeders. It doesn't matter who let the snake out, its completely irresponsible of you and your husband and honestly I would sincerely hope that the reptile doesn't end up back in your care at all. And about this proposed "capture", if your d@$% retic is 10ft long using a normal hook or anything else fashioned from rebar will only cause injury and severe distress and possible evoke a wonderful defensive response as it is far too narrow for that application. You need a hook designed for large snakes specifically or a large set of tongs designed for the same purpose. And as far as your brilliant idea to cover its head with a cloth that your cat uses to scratch on, think about what the hell you are saying! Do you really think that tossing a cloth with small mammal dander and scent is the best thing, especially for a snake that has been in the wild for a year? Even if its not the same peice has it been exposed to your mammals? What do you think would happen? In short, I think you should call either a local animal control or plead with a local Herp organization to help you and remove the animal. In any regards I think your husband has the right idea and you should stick to cornsnakes.

stevetastic

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Capture a 10foot+ retic? she get out about a year ago
Can I ask why you waited a year? I feel like maybe this should have been handled right away. I understand being pregnant stoped YOU from doing it but did it stop you from making a phone call to someone who wasn't pregnant several months ago or posting a request like this?

I do know what i am doing, i was out of town for a week and it was my husband that forgot to put her lock back on her cage, when i got back into town she was gone. He wasnt used to owning any reptiles besides a corn snake that didnt require a lock, and a burm that lived in a bathroom of his friends house, so after bringing her out to try and calm her aggression like we did every day he forgot the lock.
You sound like you know what your doing by leaving a large aggressive potentially VERY dangerous snake with someone who is used to corn snakes. That's like saying "I left my komodo dragon with someone because they know how to take care of anoles."

If you do get it back I would suggest snake proofing the room it is in so something like this does not happen again. Also get your husband used to owning reptiles before you leave it in his care again. That is your responsibility as its care provider. Would you leave your kid with someone who wasn't experienced caring for kids?

kevin91172

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I could give you a hand on a weekend.I can bring my boys out to help.But If we catch the snake we just "might" make a run for it.

If I were to go out of town for more that a few days. I would defiantly take my critters to a buddies house.I can not sleep at night away for that long leaving them here.My sons can take care of the balls,and colubrid just fine,it is the JCP and others I would not put that burden on them.

It takes responsibility.

Ookamii

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well the guy that gave me the snake in the first place is going to help, and she is going back to him, i did try to get people to help catch her but every one else made excusses like "im to busy" i only know one guy that loves Herps, and thats the guy that gave me her, and i had not yet joined this forum. so far its only me, possibly my husband (if hes off work) and my friend, and im gunna tell you this, im 5' tall and weigh 140 lbs, so i dont think im much help, but i will sure as heck attempt! more help, the better!

Crawly

Arachnopeon
I have to say that I agree. It's possible for you and some friends to capture it, but a wild 10 foot retic is a force in in its own and field herping can be quite taxing physically, as well as unnerving. I would definitely try to contact a local herp society, possibly even a local herpetologist, but be prepared to deal with the authorities in either case. For a specialty hook and tongs, you're talking up to and over $100 a piece and using them is not as simple as just picking the snake up, it takes practice in order to ensure the safety of you and the snake. But I think you really need to get this taken care of because a snake of that size poses a serious threat to native wildlife, and humans in that area.

Ookamii

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have to say that I agree. It's possible for you and some friends to capture it, but a wild 10 foot retic is a force in in its own and field herping can be quite taxing physically, as well as unnerving. I would definitely try to contact a local herp society, possibly even a local herpetologist, but be prepared to deal with the authorities in either case. For a specialty hook and tongs, you're talking up to and over $100 a piece and using them is not as simple as just picking the snake up, it takes practice in order to ensure the safety of you and the snake. But I think you really need to get this taken care of because a snake of that size poses a serious threat to native wildlife, and humans in that area.
my friend that gave her to me in the first place has the hooks and tongs already and has been using them for years, im trying to get her out of the wild back in her cage without dealing with police. we just need a few extra hands that would like to help catch her.

Earthworm Soul

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This is insane...

Honestly, I hope it dies somewhere where no one will ever see it's corpse. Hopefully before someone sees it eating a stray cat, freaks out, and it ends up on the news.

It's stupidity like this that leads to bans. Stick to cornsnakes.

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, I'm at least glad that you're still going after the snake. Keep us updated on the progress and please continue to seek for help until the job is done. As for the others, posting negative comments with no constructive advice is not helping much, is it? Let's not jump on the point you finger and yell train until all details have been given and the python is contained. Let me just say, being condescending while the person is trying to correct a mistake sure as hell isn't going to make the situation any better either.

Crawly

Arachnopeon
I think that if you plan on doing it yourself, with the help of some friends, you could manage, but it wont be easy. Personally, I wouldn't want to get in the water with it, and I guess a sturdy fishing net of decent size may be useful in the event that it tries to flee into the lake, but it could get messy if the snake becomes tangled (unless it's a fairly fine meshed net). As I stated in a previous reply, if it were me, I would try to avoid going for the head until it's been worn down quite a bit, as a miscalculation will surely result in a pretty nasty bite. Normally when I'm field herping and I want to catch a snake and tire it down, I grab it before the base of the tail (I try to at least) and slowly step backwards so the snake has difficulty swinging back and biting me. It's worked pretty well, but I live in Illinois and the largest snakes that I have encountered so far were 4 to 5 ft. rat snakes, and some large watersnakes, so I'm not too sure how well it will work with a large constrictor. But I've heard from people that deal with larger snakes that it works for them as well. I would also take a bottle of rubbing alcohol with you in case it does bite. A few drops of that in its mouth will more than likely cause it to release. Just be careful and alert. Also, I know that in the wild retics are known to spend a bit of time in trees.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You might try contacting, or at least watch a few episodes of "python hunters". They migt offer some tips on recatching an aggressive escaped snake.

Ookamii

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thank you Crawly and H. laoticus your tips are greatly welcome, and to the people that keep going on about how stupid i am, well i am not, yes i made a mistake, but im only human, i trusted my husband with my snake, he told me many times h knew what he was doing, and i called every day to check on her, it was not till the morning i was comming home that she escaped, i did not make it home untill that night. Now because of that insadince i go to his apartment daily to take care of my cham, mountian dragon, and my T instead of trusting that he can do it. i dont want to risk lossing my pets again because he does not know to put a obviouse lock back on the cage. i have the only key to the cages now, all my husband can do is look at them threw the glass.

Josh1129

Arachnopeon
"Honestly, I hope it dies somewhere"
Are you serious?!?!^^ :wall:

Yes the escape was not a good thing, and could have been avoided. But at least she is doing the right thing by trying to remove the snake from the wild. When I read this post I was expecting more negativity, but I am surprised on the amount of people willing to help. If I was anywhere near you I would help in a second, My 2 retics mean the world to me. And as far as the hobby goes she is doing the right thing by keeping it quiet, and not contacting the authorities. If the authorities were contacted it would surely be on the news and everything that would be bad for the hobby. And as far as taking a year she did say she just recently found where the snake was. So back off a little. And a ten footer is not going to be that bad to handle after it is caught my largest is only around 15 feet long and I can do anything with her she is a baby but she has not always been that way. As far as snake keeping goes, if a retic is something you want always start with a baby and get it from a reputable breeder. These monsters are amazing animals but they are a huge responsibility and they need an experienced owner to care for them. Good luck with the capture I hope it goes smoothly just watch them teeth and you should be fine. please keep us posted on the progress of this.

Josh1129

Arachnopeon
And also when keeping reptiles or any animal there is a chance that it will get out of its enclosure. it happens to everybody at some point. My retic escaped out of her cage once and it was nobody's fault but hers, she shattered the glass in her cage but at that point she was housed in the snake barn (at my former residence) so there was no chance of her actually getting out into the wild. And if you look through the boards there are quite a few posts about escapee tarantulas and slings. But thats okay right its not their fault it escaped because, T slings are just so fast... This is true that's why these people should also be RESPONSIBLE by handling cleaning etc their T's in an area that if it does make a run for it you can safely capture it and place it back in its enclosure. And like she said she is HUMAN she made a MISTAKE, everybody makes mistakes.

Ookamii

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok so first off WOW! I am amazed that only one person has comented on this negatively. Its stuff like this that makes me cringe and really want to push the big red flashing button and atleast make people get permits for large constrictors. This is why these bans are wreaking havoc upon the reptile industry and are an iminent threat to other responsible keepers and breeders. It doesn't matter who let the snake out, its completely irresponsible of you and your husband and honestly I would sincerely hope that the reptile doesn't end up back in your care at all. And about this proposed "capture", if your d@$% retic is 10ft long using a normal hook or anything else fashioned from rebar will only cause injury and severe distress and possible evoke a wonderful defensive response as it is far too narrow for that application. You need a hook designed for large snakes specifically or a large set of tongs designed for the same purpose. And as far as your brilliant idea to cover its head with a cloth that your cat uses to scratch on, think about what the hell you are saying! Do you really think that tossing a cloth with small mammal dander and scent is the best thing, especially for a snake that has been in the wild for a year? Even if its not the same peice has it been exposed to your mammals? What do you think would happen? In short, I think you should call either a local animal control or plead with a local Herp organization to help you and remove the animal. In any regards I think your husband has the right idea and you should stick to cornsnakes.
and no the cloth was sealed in a bag and put up in the loft of my shed inside my steralite tub that has all off my crafting stuff inside of it. i was just asking about the material because its a strong burlap type of material. and i am NOT going to be getting her back in my home, i have a newborn and i would NOT risk her life incase she where to break the cage or escape again. She is going back to my friend that has a propper snake shed. She is still my snake but not in my home or care untill my daughter is around 12 and my husband knows how to take care of a large snake. Untill then im sticking with medium lizards, my 2 cats, and my one T. No snakes for a few years. ive been keeping all kinds of reptiles since i was 6 years old, thats 15 years of experiance, my husband on the other hand only has 4 years. I under stand my mistake, and again im only human, EVERY human makes mistakes, we are not super beings that never make any. Also, i will be having a propper escape proffed building before i get any more snakes.

Back on topic, we are going after her tomarrow morning, before it warms back up. Again, my friend has hooks and tongs for Large snakes, and i have a big steralite tub to put her in, Then shes getting transfered immediatly to her new home, in a 5'x4'x5' cage.