any one tried crossbreed Ts?

SmallX

Arachnopeon
it is very common on vertebrate such as cats, dogs, horses, even fishes. I am just curious whether it is possible to crossbreed Ts? :confused:

Generally a crossbred species is more docile and sturdy, which make nice characteristics for a pet. So if crossbred is possible, it will be worth to try. :rolleyes:

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The general opinion is that hybridizing (eep! I said the H word!) is not a good idea. It creates problems in the hobby. It is possible in some cases, one of the most popular/common hybrids being B. albovagans (B. albo x B. vagans), and if someone were to sell them as just albopilosum or just vagans then I'm sure you can see how that could cause problems.

Cass

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The general opinion is that hybridizing (eep! I said the H word!) is not a good idea. It creates problems in the hobby. It is possible in some cases, one of the most popular/common hybrids being B. albovagans (B. albo x B. vagans), and if someone were to sell them as just albopilosum or just vagans then I'm sure you can see how that could cause problems.

Cass
This is absolutely spot on.

Run a search for 'hybrid' and read all about it, but please don't try it and let's not bring the debate back to life in this thread.

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
As already stated, not the best idea. Also, im not usually the guy to say "use the search function", but....this subject has been beaten to death and then some. So a search would answer ANY questions you may have on the topic.

-Jake Huff.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Without going into too much detail, spiders are so far separated genetically from more familar animals like mammals, amphibians, reptiles, etc that most of what people think they know about "crossbreeding" doesn't really apply. For example, every single domesticated dog in the world is the same species; Canis familiaris. Two brachypelmas, say B. smithi and B. emilia are completely different species. Ie, a Great Dane and a Chihuahua are more closely related than a smithi and an emilia.

In a hobby where we constantly struggle to correctly identify a specimen to a species the last thing we need is to further muddy the genetic stock with hybrids, especially with hundreds of true species already available.

This is an extremely sensitive subject at this forum and you'd probably just be better off searching for and reading old threads than discussing it in detail here. There will be a fight.

BCscorp

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
it is very common on vertebrate such as cats, dogs, horses, even fishes. I am just curious whether it is possible to crossbreed Ts? :confused:

Generally a crossbred species is more docile and sturdy, which make nice characteristics for a pet. So if crossbred is possible, it will be worth to try. :rolleyes:
you really need to do more research and weigh the pros and cons...next you'll be comparing hybridizing tarantulas to hybridizing plants and flowers.:(

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
*Looks at thread title, wisely steps away and breaks out a bag of popcorn and can of Coke*

{D:rolleyes:{D

KoreanSpiderMan

Arachnopeon
Oh my word! Hybridizing a wild animal is like killing small children! Many tarantulas are endangered in the wild, to destroy pure genetics that have taken aeon's to create is gene-blasphemy. A dog belongs to the same species, labrador, great dane, the little ratty things, theyre all genetic variants. But wild animals are not "breeds" they are distinct species that happen to be able to procreate due to the fact they have the same genus. Cats can crossbreed, dogs can crossbreed, cows can cross breed, hell humans can crossbreed (and i intend to hehehe) but wild animals do not! they hybridize and that destroys their place in the great genetic pool. Great now im upset and need to go drink some banana flavoured milk. See what you have done?????? Oh well the milk shall calm me. Lets never discuss this taboo subject again, for heads (and other bodily appendages) shall role! :wall::confused::barf: Thats my very important two cents.

Kaimetsu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Forgive me i am relatively new to the hobby and have never been involved in these threads that are so controversial, but it seems to me that everyone is rightfully against hybridizing spiders so i don't really see a controversy here. If anything threads like this can serve to root out people who actually hybridize spiders so they can be rightfully berrated.

KoreanSpiderMan

Arachnopeon
Forgive me i am relatively new to the hobby and have never been involved in these threads that are so controversial, but it seems to me that everyone is rightfully against hybridizing spiders so i don't really see a controversy here. If anything threads like this can serve to root out people who actually hybridize spiders so they can be rightfully berrated.
Oh great you got me wound up for a fight and now theres nothing to fight about. You let me down bad man. Hehehe its good you understand how damaging hybridizing is though. Maybe someone else will say something about it that i can shower many words upon them hehehehehe

Projecht13

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I agree just look at the avicularia tree. They are some of the most beautiful T's out there but half of the time people dont know what they have, causing a lot of trouble in the trade hobby. To someone elses point there are alreayd HUNDREDS of amazing true species commonly available, why put more effort into something that will just hurt the hobby. :?

Julia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The controversy happens because not everyone is 100% against hybridizing. Some feel that it's alright when it's done for either scientific knowledge or personal experience, BUT none of the slings are sold or given away. Others feel that the mere attempt, no matter what the reasons, is a detriment to the hobby. And a select few believe there's nothing wrong with it, and also see nothing wrong with dispersing the slings.

For the most part, these threads tend to end with emotions spouting all over the place, opinions being presented as facts, and lots of "agreeing to disagree."

Kirk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Oh my word! Hybridizing a wild animal is like killing small children! Many tarantulas are endangered in the wild, to destroy pure genetics that have taken aeon's to create is gene-blasphemy. A dog belongs to the same species, labrador, great dane, the little ratty things, theyre all genetic variants. But wild animals are not "breeds" they are distinct species that happen to be able to procreate due to the fact they have the same genus. Cats can crossbreed, dogs can crossbreed, cows can cross breed, hell humans can crossbreed (and i intend to hehehe) but wild animals do not! they hybridize and that destroys their place in the great genetic pool. Great now im upset and need to go drink some banana flavoured milk. See what you have done?????? Oh well the milk shall calm me. Lets never discuss this taboo subject again, for heads (and other bodily appendages) shall role! :wall::confused::barf: Thats my very important two cents.
Do you make the same irrational rant when you visit plant nurseries, and see all the intergeneric and interspecific hybrids among orchids? There is nothing wrong with hybrids so long as one is responsible in their labeling practices. For instance, don't refer to a hybrid of Brachypelma vagans and B. albopilosum as B. albovagans. The latter name isn't scientifically valid.

KoreanSpiderMan

Arachnopeon
Do you make the same irrational rant when you visit plant nurseries, and see all the intergeneric and interspecific hybrids among orchids? There is nothing wrong with hybrids so long as one is responsible in their labeling practices. For instance, don't refer to a hybrid of Brachypelma vagans and B. albopilosum as B. albovagans. The latter name isn't scientifically valid.
Irrational? Preserving genetics is not irrational its common sense. I do not condone the hybridization of plant either. But hey thats just a geneticists opinion.........
Once you have cross bred you can never regain the pure strain from its descendants even if you reverse-engineer its genetics.(which costs a crapload).

Kirk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Irrational? Preserving genetics is not irrational its common sense. I do not condone the hybridization of plant either. But hey thats just a geneticists opinion.........
Once you have cross bred you can never regain the pure strain from its descendants even if you reverse-engineer its genetics.(which costs a crapload).
How is it a matter of common sense? No one is disrupting any gene pools in the wild. There are no detrimental effects, other than invoking unwarranted emotions. As you don't condone plant hybridization then you can have your hands full whining about the development of cultivated wheat. That's right, common sense says we've made a big mistake with that one! :wall:

macj1983

Arachnosquire
who cares

this topic might have been beat to the ground but those of us new to T keeping have not talked of this. so i have a ideal DON'T click on the links if you do not wish to be apart of this topic.....ah ...it is that easy. i dont think any of us have plans to take the hobby down.

macj1983

Arachnosquire
who cares

this topic might have been beat to the ground but those of us new to T keeping have not talked of this. so i have a ideal DON'T click on the links if you do not wish to be apart of this topic.....ah ...it is that easy. i dont think any of us have plans to take the hobby down.