any one have experience with ceramic Emmiters?

jimip

Arachnosquire
im trying to give my slings a more constant heat so ive though of a plan. im wanting to put my slings in a tank and suspend the emmiter and heat all slings to a nice temperature.

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
we were using a ceramic emitter in a 30gal for a tortoise at work and it was way too hot, it dried out the top layer of its sub (an eco earth/play sand mix) super fast. i would imagine the same, and seeing as how slings need humidity even more than adults i think you would run into possible dessication issues?

what i did to heat my slings and get them all cozy was set up a 10gal with a heat pad for a much larger tank with higher wattage (forgetting how high off the top of my head), and put all of my sling containers in there along with a large bowl of water filled to the top. then i saran wrapped 90% of the top. viola! i used to mist it when i first set it up, but it got too much condensation, so now i just spray inside the enclosures. it usually is still quite enough to maintain more than proper humidity. no soaked sub, just wetted corners. helps keep mold down otherwise mold grows like crazy in that rig (poor millis had to be moved out).

i have two thermometers in there too, one closest to the heat pad and one furthest away so i get a good idea of the temp gradient. so far this humidity rig has worked pretty well.

jimip

Arachnosquire
thats a better idea. but still on the old track do they need a special fixture or does the standard exoterra hood work?

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
thats a better idea. but still on the old track do they need a special fixture or does the standard exoterra hood work?
well judging by what exo terra's website says on the matter, yes they do need a special fixture but i didn't use the one they suggested. i don't know how much i shortened the life of that bulb by putting it into the one of the fixtures at work, since we didn't really have the ability to do differently. it has been running for three months with no known problems, to answer your question.

that is my experience in the matter, sorry i can't be more helpful.

jimip

Arachnosquire
no youve been helpfull thanks you idea for the sling nursery seems to be better thought out then mine. and after thinking about it im gunna go with that.

TrentinG

Arachnopeon
What i did is I got a 30 gallon and insulated it on all sides except the bottom and front with styrofoam, put a 2 big heaters and a small heater as well as a heating lamp underneath (about 2 feet away). It stays about 78 -84 degrees at all times. I have 11 T's in there each in their seperate enclosures and there is not a problem with humidity, there is always alot of condensation. Just a thought!