Any old worlds terrestrials that aren't pet holes?

Arachne97

Arachnopeon
So right now I have a few Brachys, a Genic, and a pokie. My regalis is the only old world t in my collection right now but I'm also going to get a p.metallica soon. I know pokies hide but they are also often out in the open. However, I'd like to get a terrestrial old world t. Species like haplopelma minax or h gigas catch my eye but I've found that they are pet holes. I'd like a t that I get to see often. Any old world terrestrials that arent pet holes?

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
Chilobrachys fimbriatus
**Edit: they will burrow or web the enclosure, though with my experience they are still regularly active outside the burrow.

Last edited:

mistertim

Arachnobaron
I think most of them will burrow if given enough substrate, even Ceratogyrus and OBTs. Though they're also very hardy and adaptable so if they don't have the sub to burrow (which most keepers don't seem to provide) then they'll be fine with chilling and just webbing.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Pterinochilus, Ceratogyrus. (varies from spider to spider.)
Only because lots of keepers were/are pure finest 'Scrooge' with substrate and they house them somewhat like 'GBB', with more anchor points rather than substrate.

If given enough inches of substrate (like I always suggest) those two genus will burrow as well, 100% guaranteed.

@Arachne97 Good luck for your quest ah ah :-s

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Only because lots of keepers were/are pure finest 'Scrooge' with substrate and they house them somewhat like 'GBB', with more anchor points rather than substrate.

If given enough inches of substrate (like I always suggest) those two genus will burrow as well, 100% guaranteed.

im a bit of a scoorge i suppose lol next rehouse ill make sure they have more sub.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
im a bit of a scoorge i suppose lol next rehouse ill make sure they have more sub.
Ah ah :-s well, when it comes to genus Ceratogyrus and (more) with a Pterinochilus murinus that's not mandatory like for other obligate burrowers... they will adapt, as you know. Just that their preferred option is and will remain to 'pet hole', not in an hardcore way like a P.muticus or H.gigas, indeed... but 'pet hole' :kiss:

awiec

Arachnoprince

My C.darlingi has quite a bit if sub but she still decides to make a big web maze. I would still recommend them as they are pretty visible. I can see my P.muticus whenever I want as the tunnels are along the side of the cage but not everyone has that luxury.

creepa

Arachnoknight
I got a nice Ornithoctonus aureotibialis that is a pet hole but is allways at the entrance of her burrow waiting to snatch up anything that gets to close...

IMG_2005.PNG

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
My P. muticus can be easily seen....from the bottom of its enclosure...it's dug out the majority of the bottom sides and has 2 side tunnels that lead to the top if it wants to come out. Also, mine is only roughly 1 1/2 inches so I can just pick up the enclosure to have a glance if needed lol.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
If you give an h gigas a swimming pool and devise a way to watch it without it knowing you are there it may work well. I haven't tried this yet, but am about to up size mine from the deli cup.

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
If you give an h gigas a swimming pool and devise a way to watch it without it knowing you are there it may work well. I haven't tried this yet, but am about to up size mine from the deli cup.

My H. gigas LOVES his "pool" and webbed up the leaves by it (I cut out, 8 inches from the bottom and hot glued the top of one of those gallon water bottles that's around 9 inches wide and buried it flush with the substrate and put some heavy vine inside so it could climb out. Mine has stayed and webbed around the leafy area around the pool and instead of using a premade burrow, has burrowed beside the pool. Although, at night you can see it out, but most days you can catch it in the pool. Although the vibration of footsteps, if noticed, will cause it to retreat either in its hole, or at the bottom of the pool behind plants.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I can see my P.muticus whenever I want as the tunnels are along the side of the cage but not everyone has that luxury.
The "secret" for me is to put a piece of cork bark in diagonal, near the side of the enclosure, this way I see my OB almost everytime, aside for my H.gigas because I opted for another set up and I wanted her full pet hole :-s

gobey

Arachnoknight
50/50 on whether my C. marshalli or my OBT will be buried in its hide or chilling in plain sight

My C. darlingi I see maybe once every 3 months

My H. maculata is always visible however. But I think she just used the way her enclosure was set up so that she stays shielded behind a wall of cork bark at all times

It just happens to be that I can see her through the glass.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
But one moment... why the "hate" or dislike for pet holes, that sometimes jumps out? IMO they are of best. At night you can see them out often, including 'Haplos'. I've owned Asian OW OB in the past (not anymore now, mostly 'Baboons') and often they were out of their burrow at night... they were secure, safe. Masters of their world. To burrow, it's only nature, how they live.

If someone doesn't want to see lot of "dirt" and wants a display Theraphosidae there's plenty of (IMO great) A.geniculata.