Any leopard Gecko Owners?

Skullion

Arachnopeon
Here's mine. Her name is Delphie. She's just a pet. I don't breed them or anything. She's a darling and I adore her.
unnamed.jpg unnamed (3).jpg

Last edited:

Westicles

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I don't any, but I know there's people here who do. Anyhow, that's a beauty!!

Poonjab

Arachnoking
I own one. I have a rescue thread I made here. I need to post new update pics of her. Wouldn’t even know it’s the same gecko.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I owned several but this was before the market there were no morphs! Market is full of bad genetics due to all the inbreeding.

I would not buy one in the US market again.

Boomkip

Arachnosquire
I have one. Little Albie. She is visually impaired. I have had her for two years now and she is a doll. I have had a blind leopardgecko before. Vet said that he wouldn't make it past two years, he lived on to be 16 years before he passed. I handfed him multiple times per week.

FB_IMG_1631739826260.jpg

Malum Argenteum

Arachnoknight
I owned several but this was before the market there were no morphs! Market is full of bad genetics due to all the inbreeding.

I would not buy one in the US market again.
I don't suppose the EU market is any different. Would be nice to get some stability in the native range so that possibly some legit exports could be arranged to freshen up captive lines. Yes, that's a patently ridiculous hope.

There are still subspecies available though they're also somewhat inbred, for different reasons (small founding stock and something of a bottleneck from a dearth of current breeders due to low demand -- why buy something real when you can have something flashy?).

I have a pair of E. m. fasciolatus and a pair of E. m. montanus (offspring of the montanus pair pictured below, photo unedited except for the vignetting). Neat animals, somewhat different in personality and care requirements from hobby line intergrades (I breed a bunch of those too).

DSC_0377.jpg

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't suppose the EU market is any different.
From what I read in some international articles it isn't too different at all. I read a very interesting article from a breeder in EU if I recall correctly. I don't recall how he learned of them, but there have been some exports out of Pakistan. According to him, the animals are of course healthier, larger than the inbreds we typically see, and other characteristics as well. The amount of inbreeding has been horrible. As usual, man has screwed up again.

Malum Argenteum

Arachnoknight
Huh... a minute of Googling turns up a bunch of "exporters", as it turns out. Pakistan has its fair share of scammers of all sorts, that's for sure. None of it is legal, as as Pakistan closed reptile exports in 2000 (link).

This isn't unusual in exotics circles -- a bunch of imports are coming in, so no one is concerned with maintaining any sort of healthy lineages (or captive breeding at all) since you can just import more, and then the legal supply gets cut off and all we have are a bunch of dirty mutts or smuggled stock. The people who are hybridizing colubrids, crossing locales of dart frogs, and making morph stew out of ball pythons are doing a lot of damage ("We're not doing conservation breeding, so it doesn't matter" they say). But, like I mentioned, I breed a bunch of morph leos too. I've eliminated likely-smuggled species from my collection; maybe it is time to get out of hobby leos too.

Sorry, @amblygrey , this isn't where you wanted your thread to go. Dark corners in this hobby. :(

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Huh... a minute of Googling turns up a bunch of "exporters", as it turns out. Pakistan has its fair share of scammers of all sorts, that's for sure. None of it is legal, as as Pakistan closed reptile exports in 2000 (link).

This isn't unusual in exotics circles -- a bunch of imports are coming in, so no one is concerned with maintaining any sort of healthy lineages (or captive breeding at all) since you can just import more, and then the legal supply gets cut off and all we have are a bunch of dirty mutts or smuggled stock. The people who are hybridizing colubrids, crossing locales of dart frogs, and making morph stew out of ball pythons are doing a lot of damage ("We're not doing conservation breeding, so it doesn't matter" they say). But, like I mentioned, I breed a bunch of morph leos too. I've eliminated likely-smuggled species from my collection; maybe it is time to get out of hobby leos too.

Sorry, @amblygrey , this isn't where you wanted your thread to go. Dark corners in this hobby. :(
I couldn't agree more. Cross PDF localities. I only knew of one person who tried/did that. Again, I'm not into PDFs yet, I thought that hobby had smarter people than that, jeez and that's especially disturbing giving how much rainforest is burned away per day.