Any last minute advice before I buy my first T?

MS6582

Arachnopeon
Hello all,

First I'd like to say you guys have amazing info here and sorry for starting another "beginners" thread, I'm on car forums and know how frustrating it can be but I searched as much as I could and tried, I really did but if you can help me out a little more that would be great. Even links to the right area would be a great help. The search was great but overwhelming.

To start I found a T in the mountains of San Diego when I was taking pics, from the info I've found here it is a male so I'm taking it back up to the mountains this weekend and letting it go in the spot found so it can go do its thing :D

So now I'm kinda sorta in a way hooked even though I've only had this guy for a week. I have the 10 gal tank, a half log for hiding and water dish already I figured I would go replace him after I let him go. I check out the local reptile and insect specialty store and they have 3 T's that interested me: OBT, Mexican Red Rump (B. vagans as I've found on here), and a Colbot (Haplopelma lividum as seen on here)

Here is what I want out of owning a tarantula. I only plan on having 1 or 2 since space is very limited for me so I want something that will be out as much as possible, something interesting to watch feed, and something with color (I have enough brown in my house) I would also prefer not having a heavy web in my tank if possible and I never care to handle the T, I can appreciate it with my eyes just fine. From all of these requirements and from what I've read on here I'm pretty much left with the B.Vagans, am I right? Are there any others you can think of that would be a better fit?

Lastly I see lots on how to set up your enclosure but I see nothing on how to keep up the enclosure. I see that they need to be cleaned but I see nothing on what is evolved in that cleaning. How often, and what am I cleaning exactly? In the week (I know that’s short) I have had this guy the tank looks exactly like the day I set it up and he has eaten 6 crickets already. I won't feed my next T this much as I've found they only need a couple crickets a week.

Any last minute advice that you can think of would be great, I've seen a few books recommended too, I do plan on going to the store and taking a look at those as well.

Thank you in advance! and again sorry for the n00b thread

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Out of those choices, I would pick the OBT.... mean little buggers and always active from what I have gathered.

LisaD

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I only plan on having 1 or 2 since space is very limited for me so I want something that will be out as much as possible, something interesting to watch feed, and something with color (I have enough brown in my house) I would also prefer not having a heavy web in my tank if possible and I never care to handle the T, I can appreciate it with my eyes just fine. From all of these requirements and from what I've read on here I'm pretty much left with the B.Vagans, am I right? Are there any others you can think of that would be a better fit?
If I were you, I'd hold off. I think there are a lot of other choices that you may be happier with.

For color, Brachypelma boehmei - but it doesn't move much, IMO

For color and activity, and cool, but not too much webbing, Green Bottle Blue (Chromatopelma cyanopubescens)

Subtle color, but a super cool spider that I love, P. cambridgei (sorry, forgot how to spell the genus). P. irminia is nice too.

I have over 20 spiders, they are all different. Take the time to research further.

MS6582

Arachnopeon
Out of those choices, I would pick the OBT.... mean little buggers and always active from what I have gathered.
Aren't they heavy with the web though? I don't really care to have 10 Gal of webbing, Maybe if I go with a second T and get a smaller enclosure.

@Lisa D. They had others too, those were the three that caught my eye at first. Thank you for the names of those other T's I will look into those and see if I can get them ordered for me if they don't already have them and if they look to be a better fit.

Can anyone tell me more about enclosure up keep?

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Aren't they heavy with the web though? I don't really care to have 10 Gal of webbing, Maybe if I go with a second T and get a smaller enclosure.

@Lisa D. They had others too, those were the three that caught my eye at first. Thank you for the names of those other T's I will look into those and see if I can get them ordered for me if they don't already have them and if they look to be a better fit.

Can anyone tell me more about enclosure up keep?
What other Ts did they have?

I would personally recommend G. pulchripes.

YellowBrickRoad

☆Klaasified☆
Arachnosupporter +
Nice post. The T's you picked out are really great examples of hanging out T's. Cleaning enclosures usually consist of taking out dead or partially eaten food. Substrate and food waste is generally placed in the waterdish by the T that will need to be removed from time to time. Overall the cleaning requirements of a T enclosure are considered Low. Substrate in a dry enclosure can last for years really. Chances are you'll want to redecorate by then. :)

Brachypelmas are great choices for color, appetite, size, and are generally docile. Species like B Klaasi B Smithi B albiceps B Aurutum B Emelia B Annitha and B Baumgauti are all available on the market right now including females. Not familiar with your budget but some of these can get up there in price. Well worth it though. IMO definately stop by the for sale/trade section. lol

One more thing about feeding, a rule of thumb I use when owning Brachy's is making sure the Abdomen is equal to but generally bigger than the Carapace. Brachys are usually pretty good eaters as well, feeding as early as every few days. I would suggest taking a trip over to the Brachypelma picture thread and feast your eyes on some of those Beauts. You'll at least get an idea of what a healthy looking Brachy looks like. Hope this small bit of info helps.

~I know I didn't spell some of the names right, forgive me~

MS6582

Arachnopeon
What other Ts did they have?

I would personally recommend G. pulchripes.
This is what I found on their website, if its not current I'm sure they can at least get me these fairly soon without a problem... They did seem to have about 10 different ones when I was in there 2 days ago though.

http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/animals/spiders/

@Yellowbrick, thank you so much. My budget would be around $50 but the B. Vagans was $69.99 and I guess if it was a better match for me I'd be willing to pay that. BTW, is that a fair price?

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This is what I found on their website, if its not current I'm sure they can at least get me these fairly soon without a problem... They did seem to have about 10 different ones when I was in there 2 days ago though.

http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/animals/spiders/

@Yellowbrick, thank you so much. My budget would be around $50 but the B. Vagans was $69.99 and I guess if it was a better match for me I'd be willing to pay that. BTW, is that a fair price?
You should just order off the for sale section on here. To be honest, those prices are too high IMO. And I represent the Ts are too D@$N high party.

MS6582

Arachnopeon
You should just order off the for sale section on here. To be honest, those prices are too high IMO. And I represent the Ts are too D@$N high party.
I was just starting to look at the FS section but I fear the shipping will kill the price savings. Still worth a shot though, thank you.

roaddog

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
B. Vegans

Hit me up I am local and have a bunch you can choose from!

I would give you a Curly Hair and a Red Rump for $50!

jt39565

Arachnoknight
Maybe consider an Acanthoscurria brocklehursti. Gets rather large, always out (except like mine is in premolt, then you have a nice terrarium) fun to watch eat, the price for a 1" cant be beat and it grows super fast.

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Aye..

Nothing wrong with that site but the prices are pretty high compared to other well named sellers here.. Quite high indeed.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was just starting to look at the FS section but I fear the shipping will kill the price savings. Still worth a shot though, thank you.
If you look around a bit, there are TONS of sellers located in Cali so you could just choose priority rather then express, which is pretty cheap. Heck, you might even find someone located close enough to you to just pick up the T in person.

If you don't like webbing, don't get an OBT. And H. lividum should be a pet hole when it settles in. Both of which can be very fast & very defensive.

MS6582

Arachnopeon
Well I just met up with Roadie (Roaddog) and he hooked me up! I got a Chaco Golden Knee 4" (G. Pulchripes) AND a Arizona Mtn Blonde 2.5" (A. Schmidti) for $50! I did give him a local male tarantula too for him to mate with his female but I was just going to let it go so it was awesome he gave me an extra discount.

Thanks to all for the help, the suggestings, and ideas! I'll def keep lurking around.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well I just met up with Roadie (Roaddog) and he hooked me up! I got a Chaco Golden Knee 4" (G. Pulchripes) AND a Arizona Mtn Blonde 2.5" (A. Schmidti) for $50! I did give him a local male tarantula too for him to mate with his female but I was just going to let it go so it was awesome he gave me an extra discount.

Thanks to all for the help, the suggestings, and ideas! I'll def keep lurking around.
Congratulations onthe G. pulchripes. They are awesome. One of my favorites.

brian abrams

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
First T

Of the 3 listed, the only choice for a first T should be B Vagans. I mean, OBT or Cobalt as a first T? Are you serious?

jeryst

Arachnopeon
The G. Pulchripes is a great spider. Mine is very docile, and hardly ever goes into her hide, as she prefers just to hang out on top of her log, waiting for her next meal.

MS6582

Arachnopeon
OK, couple questions about these two new T's (G. Pulchripes and A. Schmidti) I know they aren't suppose to be super active like a dog or anything but they won't move at all since day 2. First day they seemed to check out their new home and the G.Pulchripes took a 10min long drink, the second day they slept all day long and came out at sunset for about 30min the A. Schmidti seemed to clean its self, looked like a cat cleaning. Since then I haven't seen them move. Both of them have taken up shelter under a little decor piece of drift wood, neither show interest in the half log they each have. or in digging.

I have a cricket and a small roach in each of their cages (10gal and 5.5gal respectively) The humidity in the the G. Pulchripes is 75% the humidity in the A. Schmidti is 60-65% it moves a bit more since its smaller and has less substrate I'm guessing? and the temp is like 65ish at night and about 70-75 during the day right now.

Again I know they aren't there to entertain me morning noon and night but I want to make sure they are OK as well. Do I need to be more patient? Is there a breaking in period? Seems like the G. Pulchripes should be right at home with his cage conditions but I can't find ANY info at all on the A. Schmidti ... is that the same as a B. Schmidti or did the name change? Any one have any info on these T's?

Should I leave the food in or take it out and try a week later? Am I over thinking this? I've seen that the G. Pulchripes is pretty hardy and even though I can't find info on the A.Schmidti, Roaddog did say I couldn't kill it haha, we will see about that but hopefully not.

Thanks again guys I really appreciate the help.