Any Land Crab People Here / Need Help With ID

DETHCHEEZ

Arachnosquire
Went in to a tropical fish store today looking for a Moon Crab or 2
They didn't have any, but I found this little guy

More Pics~ http://community.webshots.com/album/579562709bxJyMi

They had it listed as a "Chili Crab"???
I tried looking up Chilean Land Crab & Pet Crab Etc & so on, but no luck finding a pic of one that looks like it
&
All of the pet care sites I''ve looked at only had info on Moon & Hermit Crabs
I'm taking it that it's a type of land crab since they had it in a kritter keeper on aquarium rocks with just a small amount of water

The guy working there didn't speak english very well so there was a bit of a communication issue & I couldn't get much info from him

Anyone have any idea what it is or could be???
Or
Even a link to a good forum to try???

I currently have it set up in a temp tank for now
If nothing else I'll set it up how I use to keep my Moon Crabs
On moist peat with a couple of shallow trays of water & some rocks & branches

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Want to make sure I take proper care of it

Thanx
DC
dethcheez@aol.com

Lucas339

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
looks like a Sesarma species. i only have north american crab keys. they are semi arboreal so it will need things to climb.

VickyChaiTea

Arachnosquire
The biggest question you need answered is whether its fresh, salt, or brackish water. If it is in the Sesarma genus then it's brakish and won't last long in stricktly fresh water.

spydrhunter1

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Since it's a land crab solve the problem of fresh or sea water by offering a bowl of both, like you would for hermit crabs.

MudCrabDude

Arachnopeon
Sorry for the late reply/bump, but I am speculating that your crab is a Sesarmops intermedium, also known as a Flower crab. I don't have much personal experience with this species but you can google Sesarmops intermedium for more info and pics.

Polymorphius

Arachnopeon
Ooh! I got one of these guys. Been with me for four months and still alive. xD

They live in brackish water which is two tablespoons of marine salt per gallon or a specific gravity of 1.005. You can get a reading buy investing on a hydrometer which are usually pretty cheap. They need a land area, and are not terrestrial as they may appear at the store. They can survive in freshwater for a few months, but not-so-good in the long run.

If you have a 15 or 20 gallon tank, it's good to pair them up with an opposite gender of its own species. It may look ridiculously large for two small crabs, but they are also ridiculously territorial. Their behavior changes when they have enough space, often traveling in pairs.

I hope this helps. ^^