Any keepers of Tylobolus claremontus

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
I was looking into keeping Tylobolus claremontus
Because they are a colorful species native to my area but I can’t find any information on anyone keeping or breeding this species. I’m assuming normal flake soil, leaf litter, compost, and peat will work for soil but I was wondering if anyone had experience with this species. I am not able to find any breeders or keepers so I was wondering if anyone here has these.

Madnesssr

Arachnoknight
They are fairly easy to breed. But they do like cooler temps. Try to keep them under 78F.

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
I was wondering why they aren’t in the hobby, they are a bit bigger than an ivory but with more colors. Do you have a soil preference or just standard millipede soil? I’ll try to find some soon. Thank you.

Madnesssr

Arachnoknight
I was wondering why they aren’t in the hobby, they are a bit bigger than an ivory but with more colors. Do you have a soil preference or just standard millipede soil? I’ll try to find some soon. Thank you.
I use flake soil and mix in rotting hardwood and leaves. A lot of people want the African millipede. I feel like our North American species get taken for granted. This is such a lovely species and so vibrantly colored.

Agavoides1123

Arachnopeon
I keep 3 Tylobolus, but different types: 2 T. castaneus, and 1 T. unicigerus. I also have tons of babies from them! I’m assuming there are some hybrids in there because they are different colors. Pretty easy to keep, but I literally never see them. They apparently come out super late at night. They seem to like semi-damp substrate, and don’t like hot weather. I live in Marin so the temp is ok most of the time, but on hot days I do worry a bit. I don’t have much advice since I’ve only been keeping mine for 6 months or so, but starting with 4 and having one die of unknown causes (they are all WC) I think I’m doing ok?

I have them in mixed substrate with oak leaves, decaying oak wood, bay leaves mixed with native clay soil I dug up, peat moss, and sphagnum moss. I recently added some organic compost, so we will see if they like it. I also found some moss that I try and keep moist, and feed them apples sometimes. The only thing I do need is a deeper tank. I might get a sweater box at the Container Store to switch them out to soon. First pic is the T. unicigerus, and the other pics are T. castaneus.

Attachments

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
Thank you for the info. I kinda took a brake from inverts for a couple months but I just got an ivory, a couple more orthoporus, and a Smokey oak. I’m still having trouble finding some. Unfortunately, I’m in a dryer area so I’m going over to my friends who lives near a forest to find some. I did start a new batch of flake soil so that will be ready soon.