Any interesting species from Sri Lanka?

Animalia

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hello everyone. Not much of a T guy. Only had one B.vagan before (though i did love it)

Anyways back to the main question at hand, Are there any interesting species in Sri Lanka? A friend of mine may be going, so might be able to get some.

Any information would be usefull.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
As far as Poecilotheria goes, exportation of them is fairly unnecessary (and somewhat frowned upon by some) at this point because captive breeding has been fairly successful with this genus. Also, the permits and such required to export/import such animals would be prohibitively expensive unless you were putting together a major shipment. Any attempts to <ahem> "bypass" customs would obviously be a bad idea and certainly won't/can't be addressed in this forum.

My advice? Have your friend get as many great pictures as possible but buy your inverts from domestic, captive bred stock.

Animalia

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well my friend is going with his dad on there work boat, to Sri Lanka and back. So... It wouldnt be hard to "byepass" customs. Though i did plan on doing it legal if there were interesting enough species there.

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well my friend is going with his dad on there work boat, to Sri Lanka and back. So... It wouldnt be hard to "byepass" customs. Though i did plan on doing it legal if there were interesting enough species there.
I wouldn't even think about byepassing customs. They are there for a reason. If they are available captive bred here, what benefit would you have of your friend trying to harvest one and bringing it back? Only reason I can see is it would be for the most part free... if that is your driving factor, maybe look for another method of raising a few bucks and buy here.

My 2 cents.

Joe - CAK

Animalia

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well i wasnt so much wondering about pokies or other things readily available more if there is something more rare that he could pick up we get papers and help get some numbers over here

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well i wasnt so much wondering about pokies or other things readily available more if there is something more rare that he could pick up we get papers and help get some numbers over here
I don't have the ambition to start digging up old rehashed threads... but there is way more "red tape" than you are aware of. It's not like going to the Spider Exportation Department in Sri Lanka with your prized wild caught Bug and paying a fee and leaving with new adoption papers.

I can honestly appreciate your enthusiasm though.

Animalia

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't have the ambition to start digging up old rehashed threads... but there is way more "red tape" than you are aware of. It's not like going to the Spider Exportation Department in Sri Lanka with your prized wild caught Bug and paying a fee and leaving with new adoption papers.

I can honestly appreciate your enthusiasm though.

Yes i know there are alot of papers. It can be expensive. I'm not naive to the fact that it isnt as simple as going into the woods in Sri Lanka, picking up a T and flying it home in your suite care or going down to the store and buying a paper for it.

But my friend and his dad probably arnt going untill summer. And they going to be in Sri Lanka for a month or more. So i have plenty of time if there was anything worth wild.

But from what im getting is most species are all ready readily avialable.

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'm sure you don't want my take on this, but in light of recent topics-

Take only pictures, leave only footprints.

Pictures will last you a lifetime anyway.

crawltech

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
+2 on the pics...i would love to see some poeci's in their natural habitat!