Any Info on Polyzosteria mitchelli?

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
I was looking through some pics of roaches and came across Polyzosteria mitchelli, also known as "Michelle's Diurnal Cockroach. Here is the link to where I even came across it:
http://cockroach.speciesfile.org/HomePage/Cockroach/HomePage.aspx
Being a blue roach, it really popped out to me. Especially since it is one of the diurnal species of roaches, which I don't believe are too common. I have done a little research on these, and was wondering whether anyone had or knew of an existing American culture or any personal
colonies :D I know it is an Australian species, which has terrible import laws, there doesn't seem to be too much info out there ;) Just curious.

Thanks for reading, Abyss

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
I was looking through some pics of roaches and came across Polyzosteria mitchelli, also known as "Michelle's Diurnal Cockroach. Here is the link to where I even came across it:
http://cockroach.speciesfile.org/HomePage/Cockroach/HomePage.aspx
Being a blue roach, it really popped out to me. Especially since it is one of the diurnal species of roaches, which I don't believe are too common. I have done a little research on these, and was wondering whether anyone had or knew of an existing American culture or any personal
colonies :D I know it is an Australian species, which has terrible import laws, there doesn't seem to be too much info out there ;) Just curious.

Thanks for reading, Abyss
Haha, I wish there were people keeping these in the US, but they've never been imported here, and they aren't even kept in Europe, ONLY Australia! :arghh:

Of the keepers in Australia, I only know of one facility (MiniBeast Wildlife) that has been successful in breeding them, and they claim they need a heat lamp and UV lamp on for 2-3 hours a day, which would make keeping them a bit harder than other roaches if that's true.

They told me that they were picky from where their heat came from, and that using an under tank heat pad didn't work well for them. However, using such heat pads under tanks doesn't work well for many species, so it could just be that they need heat to come from the side of their enclosure.

In any case, they aren't in the hobby here anyway, so none of this really matters, just sharing some information on them. :)

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Haha, I wish there were people keeping these in the US, but they've never been imported here, and they aren't even kept in Europe, ONLY Australia! :arghh:

Of the keepers in Australia, I only know of one facility (MiniBeast Wildlife) that has been successful in breeding them, and they claim they need a heat lamp and UV lamp on for 2-3 hours a day, which would make keeping them a bit harder than other roaches if that's true.

They told me that they were picky from where their heat came from, and that using an under tank heat pad didn't work well for them. However, using such heat pads under tanks doesn't work well for many species, so it could just be that they need heat to come from the side of their enclosure.

In any case, they aren't in the hobby here anyway, so none of this really matters, just sharing some information on them. :)
Cool! I always see so many roach species that are not avalible in A erica due to strict import laws and strict Australian export laws, but isn't there a way to actually apply for an official way of getting them? Or would it be too much work and/or impossible? I'd try to do it if I knew how ;)

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Cool! I always see so many roach species that are not avalible in A erica due to strict import laws and strict Australian export laws, but isn't there a way to actually apply for an official way of getting them? Or would it be too much work and/or impossible? I'd try to do it if I knew how ;)
Yeah, Australia in particular has VERY strict export laws, and the US has somewhat strict import laws, so it'll likely be a while until these guys ever make it here. Plus, it seems like even under ideal care, they aren't a piece of cake to keep and breed.

A friend of mine is working on something though, so maybe it won't be too long until these reach the hobby, we'll see.....