any info about T.apophysis?

mouse

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i got a question. i'm gonna order a few T's soon and eventually - when i'm a bit more experianced with them - getting a BIG one. right now i'm gonna just get the docile kind, but a T. blondi or a goliath pinkfoot T. apophysis sound interesting, does anybody have a goliath pinkfoot? quite a few of you got blondis...but what about the T.apophysis?
i've seen blondis for sale...but they were wildcaught and already big.. i'd go for a little giant first, and then raise it.
thanks
dianne

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
There not really beginner ts. They are defensive and will kicks hairs at you and def not to be handled. If you want something big try the G.aureostriata (Chaco golden Knee) they get 6"-8" and they are very docile as well. I have 2 and they are sweet as can be :D

DnKslr

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey mouse,
I'd go for a slightly larger T than starting out with a sling. I've heard they are fragile when that small. I had a 1.5" sling that died for no apparent reason so I decided to get a larger one. Try for a 3" or larger juvi T blondi. The Goliath pinkfoot and Goliath birdeaters are pretty similar with the pinkfoot getting slightly larger (I believe). You should be able to get a 3-4" juvi for a good price. But definitely wait til you're sure you can handle (not LITERALLY!) a big aggressive T.
Ever since my escapee incident, I'm fairly confident with my reaction to the larger, aggressive Ts. I would not have been able to handle the situation as well if I hadn't prepared myself early on for all the responsibility.

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
Iv not seen as many of them as T.blondi but iv not seen a female T.apophysis any bigger then a blondi (biggist blondi iv seen was confirmed at 10.25 inch's) the size thing comes from a male T.apophysis that was said to be 13.5 inch's in leg span however the body was afaik lost so its not possible to verify that claim BTW T.apophysis hair's are said to be much worse then T.blondi, IME they are not they are MUCH worse some ppl cant take them in fact and go back to keeping T.blondi insted.

G_Wright

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
FryLock said:
Iv not seen as many of them as T.blondi but iv not seen a female T.apophysis any bigger then a blondi (biggist blondi iv seen was confirmed at 10.25 inch's) the size thing comes from a male T.apophysis that was said to be 13.5 inch's in leg span however the body was afaik lost so its not possible to verify that claim BTW T.apophysis hair's are said to be much worse then T.blondi, IME they are not they are MUCH worse some ppl cant take them in fact and go back to keeping T.blondi insted.

Actually lol The largest known specimen of this spider is recorded in the Guinness book of world records. It was discovered in April 1965 by the Pablo Martin expedition in Rio Cavro, in Venezuela. It was a male with a leg span of 11 inches.

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
G_Wright said:
Actually lol The largest known specimen of this spider is recorded in the Guinness book of world records. It was discovered in April 1965 by the Pablo Martin expedition in Rio Cavro, in Venezuela. It was a male with a leg span of 11 inches.
The Guinness record is that same 11” male which was as far as known was a male T.blondi (T.apophysis where not known back then) the are reports of 12” and 13” male T.blondi although non of them are confirmed the biggist unconfirmed is the the male T.apophysis I spoke of (ownen by a Mr Charlie Siederman) that was around 13.5”.