Any ID's on This Mislabled Scorp?

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I picked up two scorpions at the Repticon show in Spartenburg, SC, yesterday, from two different vendors. One vendor had several of these labeled "Odonturus dentutus", but I have my doubts. They did not look like typical Buthid scorpions, with these large, heavy pinchers. This is one of the larger ones, probably a bit over two inches in total length, rather stoutly-built. The eyes seem almost vestigial. It's very eager to pinch, and actually ribbed the rubber tipping from my forceps, but has not shown any inclination to sting. To me it looks more like a Scorpio maurus, though I've never seen any specimens of that species which were this large. I'm assuming it's a desert-scrubland species, so I've got it set up as such, and if that's wrong, I need to know.

The other scorp I picked up was labled only with a common name, from a different vendor, as a "Tanzanian Bark Scorpion". It's about three inches long, total, VERY active and much more aggressive than the gold one, although this one, too, does not try to sting, just pinch. I'm pretty sure it's an Iomachus politus, and I have it set up in a more humid environment like an Emperor, so again, let me know if this is right or not.

pitbulllady

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Whatever they are they are great looking scorpions and nice photos too. I'm from Oz, so I'm not very well versed in O/S species. The first one is not a Buthid, that I can tell you, its from Scorpionidae by the looks. So much like our Urodacus its uncanny. I doubt its Scorpio maurus from memory of what they look like. Maybe its an Opistophthalmus species? No idea of the second one....Hemiscorpiidae of sorts I guess.

Ryan C.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi,

The first definitely looks like an Opistophthalmus sp. to me. The second one I would be more inclined to say Opistacanthus sp. than I. politus.

Cheers.

H. cyaneus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I agree, the first one is a Opistophthalmus species. Looks like the ones I have, and the perserved one I sent to Lorenzo for an ID.

The second one, indeed looks like and a Opistacanthus species. It's growing in width, not in length as the I. politus photos I have seen.

Good luck with them, if the dealer still has some of those Opistacanthus species, send me an email/PM, please.

Mike

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I wouldn't be so dismissive of S.maurus for the first one, as that is a highly polymorphic species. As soon as the location of the median eyes is more central like that, I think you have to open it up as a possibility. That being said, it is most likely an Opistophthalmus sp.

The second is definitely from the Cheloctonus/Opisthacanthus/Iomachus side of things. They are easy enough to differentiate if you have a microscope or good zoom on your camera -- instructions are to be found in Polis (1990).

Cheers,
Dave

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I wish I'd had the money to make the three-hour trip back up the show today, but after a rough night with some asthma problems and bad weather, I didn't feel like making the drive, either. The two scorps were purchased from two different dealers. The second scorp, the one labeled "Tanzanian Bark scorpion", came from Diamond Reptile Breeders in Florida, and the light-colored one came from G & G Reptiles. I would really love to have some more of these, since I've been looking for members of this genus. There were two dealers who had a lot of B. jacksonii that I wish I'd picked up, too, both adults and babies. Normally, the only scorps I see at reptile shows are P. imperators, H. spinifers, H. paucidens and H. arizonensis. It's unusual to see anything different.

Both of these guys have eaten for me today, so they're settling in quite well, and aren't nearly as defensive today as they were when I brought them home(can't say I blame 'em, if somebody had kept ME in a deli cup for weeks with no food or drinkable water).

pitbulllady

JSN

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'd go S. maurus on the first one, the second one I dunno...

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The first one is probably an Opistopthalmus judging by the groove (which all Opistopthalmus have and is thought useable in stridulatory functions )on the carapace and the location of the median eyes, and shape of the aculeus and chela. the second one looks like an Opistacanthus sp, probably O.asper.

Both are in no case O.denturus which is called O.dentatus in fact. O.dentatus is a buthid and these scorpions are not.
Nice additions!