Any ideas for humidity?

HaraKiri

Arachnopeon
Everything seems to be in order. The girl at the pet shop said he was defenitely more active than the other's, he had been a personal favorite of her since they came in.

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Everything seems to be in order. The girl at the pet shop said he was definitely more active than the other's, he had been a personal favorite of her since they came in.
Have you posted pics of her yet? I'd like to see it.

I've seen clay balls, stones, plastic beads and other stuff, to make the false layer. So as long as there are free flowing gaps in that layer to allow the water to some what 'flow' it'll be fine.
I've never heard, until now, that vermiculite is bad for burrowing scorps, excet the obvious that "Bayushi" mentioned, which would be bad no matter what it was that was stuck to it. I have read that there was asbestos contamination from some US mines.

HaraKiri

Arachnopeon
Have you posted pics of her yet? I'd like to see it.
No not yet. I've been meaning to buy a camera because mine won't charge so it's considered officially broken. All I have is a webcam and that is nowhere near good enough.

But the stones might be one I will do since the vermiculite does hold a risk I don't want to take. Beads would probably just look tacky Hahaha.

sparular

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You could do a layer of vermiculite (or perlite or clay balls) then place a barrier of mesh (or landscaping cloth or plexiglass with lots of holes) to prevent burrowing, followed by a top layer of substrate of your choice.
Temporarily you can also add a very wide water dish (lots of water surface area) and partially cover the cage cover.
To get really fancy, you can use an aquarium air pump with an airstone to bubble water into the bottom of a coke bottle full of water. At the top of the bottle, you attach a hose that sends the humidified air into the enclosure. This keeps the humidity high and keeps fresh air flowing into the enclosure. it also helps if the water in the coke bottle is the same temp or warmer than the enclosure (to retain more humidity). They sell these for reptiles, but if you are a die hard DIYer they aren't hard to build.
Spar

HaraKiri

Arachnopeon
I will probably use a combination of Jaffster's tubing and a bottom layer of stones. A plexiglass covering is good, I will work on that idea. Thank you all for these great idea, hopefully can use them for future T's as well .:]

JLDomestics

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
sponges breed bacteria....
Well obviously change the sponge once or twice a week. I didn't think I had to state that. I have been doing that for a long time in some amphibian tanks with no problems, and it really keeps the humidity up. I don't think anyone can name an easier cheaper way to add humidity.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well I saved money on not buying a lid for the scorpion tank and use plastic wrap instead. Collected FREE stones around my house for my false bottom setup. I also got a free bottle from my recycling bin to pour water down the false bottom set up. I bought eco-earth substrate that i buy loads of anyways for all my animals. It's good dry and also retains a lot of water.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't think anyone can name an easier cheaper way to add humidity.
I can, I can!!!:D

Simply flood the substrate with water. That is the easiest method I have done. No sponge, no bacteria, no problems;)

JLDomestics

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Flooded substrate is probably the worst way to create breeding grounds for bacteria, unless you change the substrate one or twice a week, but it is much easier to change a simple sponge. Add a water bowl.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Flooded substrate is probably the worst way to create breeding grounds for bacteria, unless you change the substrate one or twice a week, but it is much easier to change a simple sponge. Add a water bowl.
hahaha not exactly. Go outside and release Isopods in your moist tanks. You know, those little rollie pollies? That sponge is not a good idea, just ask about anyone here and they will echo what I have said

JLDomestics

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hahaha not exactly. Go outside and release Isopods in your moist tanks. You know, those little rollie pollies? That sponge is not a good idea, just ask about anyone here and they will echo what I have said
Yes I know what isopods are and I have some in a plastic bin with a rotten log under my deck. So what do you mean by "Go outside and release Isopods in your moist tanks."? My tanks are inside.

A false bottom with terra cotta balls and sphagnum moss and coco brick is surely the best way to go, nothing can ever beat that, but for a quick bout of humidity a sponge simply does the trick - that's all I was saying.

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i think there was a bit of misunderstanding.... i know i thought you meant use a sponge all the time.... so maybe that's what everyone else thought

BadBikaDamo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sponges are good for one thing, 2 months ago one of my gals was about to pop, she covered some of 'door' to her hide with soil and blocked of the rest with a dry sponge she had in there, when I wanted to check her progress, tongs, sponge, peek, replace sponge. Minimum stress to mom.

JLDomestics

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i think there was a bit of misunderstanding.... i know i thought you meant use a sponge all the time.... so maybe that's what everyone else thought
Well if you have a bunch of sponges like I do, you could always have a sponge in the tank, just be sure to take out the old sponge and add in a new fresh sponge at least once a week. No bacteria, no problem, higher humidity.