Any idea what these are?

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
They look like they have wings to me. Possibly fungus gnats.
Whatever they are something is off in the conditions in the enclosure to allow them to proliferate.
Also this problem did not happen overnight, how often do you check your enclosure?

Last edited:

Shahied

Arachnopeon
I check everyday. There's alot of them. Any idea on how to get rid of them. If I have to redo the tank I will. Maybe to much moss\ mold.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Those are wings for sure from what the poor resolution video shows. Reminds me of ants.

Seems like you don't check your setup too often either.

me and my Ts

Arachnoknight
You should probably rehouse your scorpion with new substrate and everything. search AB about care too

Tentacle Toast

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter +
Might be termites. Where did you get that wood? I keep thinking I'm seeing the glimmer of their wings, but I'm watching on phone here, so it's kinda hard to tell.

jc55

Arachnoknight
Wow and whatever they are have invaded your enclosure and appear to have been there a little while judging by the number of them but a n enclosure change is a first step for sure.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Congratulations on your higher order bio-active terrarium. When people talk about a bio-active terrarium it's selective, an eventual evolutionary dead end. Real bio-active is an ecosystem in which spore spreaders like these gnats play an important part, promoting bio-diversity.
The sand in the vaseline comes in when higher order animals are introduced into the ecosystem - compost - recycling center. An animal like your scorp either has to tough it out or find a less hostile environment. The forest scorps of Asia are adapted to these hyper bio-active environments.
As for natural control, nature has these things called seasons. After the rainy season things become dry as a desert and bioactivity dials down to near zero. And animals like the fungus gnats go into die off.

me and my Ts

Arachnoknight
Congratulations on your higher order bio-active terrarium. When people talk about a bio-active terrarium it's selective, an eventual evolutionary dead end. Real bio-active is an ecosystem in which spore spreaders like these gnats play an important part, promoting bio-diversity.
The sand in the vaseline comes in when higher order animals are introduced into the ecosystem - compost - recycling center. An animal like your scorp either has to tough it out or find a less hostile environment. The forest scorps of Asia are adapted to these hyper bio-active environments.
As for natural control, nature has these things called seasons. After the rainy season things become dry as a desert and bioactivity dials down to near zero. And animals like the fungus gnats go into die off.
Can’t tell if this was sarcasm?

lite

Arachnopeon
could be termites that smelled food and water in the enclosure

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Can’t tell if this was sarcasm?
I can't either. Let's just call it pre coffee delirium. I read an article a while back about spore propagation and how it is a self regulatory system that involved the spreading of spores. No spores, no life on the planet. Animals like fungus gnats do that job quite effectively.