Any hope for the deregulation of millipedes?

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Hey all, with the (relatively) recent deregulation of 3 Goliathus sp., I am wondering if there is any hope that exotic millipedes will be deregulated in the US? I believe they are banned under the Lacey Act, which protects US agriculture, but millipedes are detrivores that starve without adequate rotting vegetation. To my knowledge, hobby species that have become established within the US (such as Trigoniulus corallinus and Anadenobolus monilicornis in Florida) haven't damaged native ecosystems, agriculture, or harmed local populations of millipedes, not to mention that most species would likely be unable to establish populations outside of Florida. I can't speak to invasive non-hobby species such as the various small julids and Oxidus gracilis, but for the most part it appears that the non-native spirostreptids and spirobolids kept in captivity (possibly other platy-and-polydesmids, sphaerotheriids, and glomerids as well) would be of very little, if any, threat to local ecosystems and agriculture.

Anyway, back to the original question: is there any hope that exotic millipedes will be deregulated in the US? Do we have any Senators that are sympathetic to our cause (I'm half-joking on this one)? Or will we have to continue to watch @Marika's, @skippy666's, and @7Fin's collections grow while our own availability languishes?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Last edited:

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
I don’t think the recent deregulation of goliathus has really any relation to the millipede issue- to my understanding they were deregulated due to the larval tendency to be partially predatory, reducing risk of transporting other things along with them as well as their risk to anything agricultural(wether or not that’s a BS argument I won’t go into).

What I would look more to is the recent deregulation of several roach species including banana and rhino roaches by the USDA. Banana roaches especially are of considerable concern, and yet made the cut likely due to their already high popularity as feeders and pets. With this happening I’d find it more likely that other species of “concern” get deregulated.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I was going to add the deregulation of the roaches in there too, but in my zeal to put this out there I forgot, ha ha.

Anyway, it just goes to show that the USDA and APHIS are taking notice of the species in the hobby, and that this might be a precedent that can be built off of.

As for the protection of the species and to prevent pests, two words: Captive Breeding. The European species are already breeding many, many species in captivity, so I don't think that wild caught specimens would have to be the only source for exotic millipedes.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Trigoniulus corallinus and Anadenobolus monilicornis were established by agriculture. Both of those tiny, unimpressive species were never kept or heard of before they plagued Florida after introduction with ornamental plants. Banana roaches are very different because they are a native species that is common in Florida and southern areas of the gulf states.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
So, is there a hope that larger exotic species might be deregulated in the near future? The government is paying attention to the beetle, roach, tarantula, and isopod sides of the hobby, so why not millipedes?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

BeetleExperienc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
As Sarkhan42 mentioned, the Goliathus issue was due to advances in our knowledge of their lifecycle.
http://beetlesource.com/index.php/goliath-beetle-legal

The roach issue, as far as I was able to pry out of PPQ folks, came about because these (around 30 species) were species that "everyone was already using as feeders" (frankly I think this is pure frass, but whatever..). If anyone needs the roach list let me know...

Millipedes are not only considered to be "plant pests" the USDA also worries about the mites that often accompany them. You can easily get a permit for African Giants, as long as you obtain them from local sources and don't directly import them.

Steven

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
As Sarkhan42 mentioned, the Goliathus issue was due to advances in our knowledge of their lifecycle.

The roach issue, as far as I was able to pry out of PPQ folks, came about because these (around 30 species) were species that "everyone was already using as feeders" (frankly I think this is pure frass, but whatever..). If anyone needs the roach list let me know...

Millipedes are not only considered to be "plant pests" the USDA also worries about the mites that often accompany them. You can easily get a permit for African Giants, as long as you obtain them from local sources and don't directly import them.

Steven
This is the part where I don’t understand. Countless species of exotic mantids were kept in the US, even some stocks going on for decades, yet the USDA declares that all species of exotic mantids pose a threat to pollinators. I don’t see why this logic doesn’t apply to mantids.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking

Steven
Many exotic millipede species are/were commonly kept as pets, and their threat is likely lesser than roaches in that regard.

And I agree with the mites, but CB stocks, which are mite-free, are well established in many places in Europe, not to mention that I believe the only species kept in the hobby known to have commensal mites (at least in the US front of the hobby) are Acladocricus sp. and AGBs.

As for the permitting on AGBs, I hear the permits are only easy to get if you don't import; most of the species I want are not yet in the US (or captive populations weren't kept up after the ban), such as Pelmatojulus sp. I am wondering if there is a chance they might be deregulated, at least in part or only for CB specimens.

See what I mean?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

BeetleExperienc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yes, I am not saying I agree with these, I am just trying to convey what I understand their (USDA) positions to be.

Roaches are so we'll known for being able to survive almost anywhere, but many of them are removed from permitting while things like Dynastes hercules are not.

The AGB permit is pretty easy, I have one. I just buy US sources and don't import.