Any good terrarium pets?

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Anyone got a suggestion on what I can put in a 40breeder?

Suggestions welcomed and encouraged! :D

Alexandra V

Arachnosquire
X2 for a bearded dragon - they get to a nice size and are really sociable as pets, and always tend to be out and about in the enclosures, which makes them fun to watch too.

Alexandra V

Arachnosquire
Hmm... well, you could get a couple (maybe about three) geckos (all females) and make a nice big communal gecko enclosure? They come in a lot of nice colour morphs, and a lot of the good sized species (leopard geckos and crested geckos) take well to human interaction if that's your cup of tea. Most female geckos do fine with communal housing, though there are some species that are pretty territorial even with females, so look that up beforehand.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I agree with the blue tongue skink suggestion. As much as I want a beardie, a BTS will be my first lizard. They are super awesome.

Also going to suggest a herd of Indian mudskippers or a few of the larger African species :D

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
are you serious? why not? you could get a blue tonged skink or a frilled lizard
Ehh I used to like them. But then I became annoyed by the constant fact-- they were EVERYWHERE. Not only that I'm more of a fan of "pudgy" looking stuff. So I like turtles, toads, frogs, etc. Frilled lizard? Could you even keep that in a 40breeder?

I'd love to keep a tortoise but I doubt it's appropriate to keep one in a 40breeder. I guess I just want something that isn't going to hide all the time. :l

---------- Post added at 11:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 PM ----------

Hmm... well, you could get a couple (maybe about three) geckos (all females) and make a nice big communal gecko enclosure? They come in a lot of nice colour morphs, and a lot of the good sized species (leopard geckos and crested geckos) take well to human interaction if that's your cup of tea. Most female geckos do fine with communal housing, though there are some species that are pretty territorial even with females, so look that up beforehand.
I actually like crested geckos. So I MAY look into those. I'm wondering about stuff like:
Tortoises, hermit crabs, crested geckos, bts. I also like SOME uromastyx. My favorite top three would be tortoises, hermit crabs and the other one. It's undecided. xDDD

I wonder about how big a hermit crab can get. But like I look at the care and its like friggin' rocket science! I looked at crabstreet j ournal. It's too complicated and I can't even keep up with the information because its more information that I ever seen been given for other pets. o_O

Cuddly Cobalt

Arachnosquire
am pretty sure you can keep a frilled in a 40g tank, i am not sure how big they get

Alexandra V

Arachnosquire
I wonder about how big a hermit crab can get. But like I look at the care and its like friggin' rocket science! I looked at crabstreet j ournal. It's too complicated and I can't even keep up with the information because its more information that I ever seen been given for other pets. o_O
Personally, I don't think hermit crabs are the best as pets. Not to bash hermit crab owners, it's just that to be honest they are so hard to maintain, and my friend had some MONSTER ones that outgrew all the shells she could find, and were a challenge to maintain because they chased after you if you so much as reached in there to do anything. They're pretty cool to watch, but I wouldn't keep them personally. It's all up to you though!

OphidianDelight

Arachnoknight
I'd love to keep a tortoise but I doubt it's appropriate to keep one in a 40breeder. I guess I just want something that isn't going to hide all the time.
It is possible to keep a Russian tortoise or a hingeback in a 40 breeder, I believe.

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It is possible to keep a Russian tortoise or a hingeback in a 40 breeder, I believe.
will they be active? I was told they become depressed in tanks...

---------- Post added at 12:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 AM ----------

Personally, I don't think hermit crabs are the best as pets. Not to bash hermit crab owners, it's just that to be honest they are so hard to maintain, and my friend had some MONSTER ones that outgrew all the shells she could find, and were a challenge to maintain because they chased after you if you so much as reached in there to do anything. They're pretty cool to watch, but I wouldn't keep them personally. It's all up to you though!
I'm pretty sure there's shells online for sale that would be large even for the largest of hermit crabs. They are hard to keep. but Im told they can be very rewarding at the same time. Personally I'm not sure if I will. I'm suppose to get them slowly adjusted to the perfect conditions. It's ALOT of information to take in. They are cool to watch. I'm not interested in holding one. I know how to handle them though. So I'm not bothered by one of them chasing me. Big prob is they prefer large groups. So 20 of em is fine in a 40breeder. Even 40 of em.

This is a set up I'd like to make similar to. With a few modifications too..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KveWLYJCzhg

It's not too hard to keep humidity in. Just put some very thin plexiglass on half of the tank's screen top glued to it and it should keep a ton of humidity in. As well as replacing sand with stuff like eco earth. Or coir. As well as making sure there's moss in the tank. Moss retains humidity well. I'm thinking I'd make a large freshwater pool in the tank for drinking and take them out daily for salt baths.

But yeah. For hermit crabs.. Not all will make it. it's like a 50/50 if done right you can get the majority to live and then transfer those to the main tank. It's a long process I guess.

OphidianDelight

Arachnoknight
will they be active? I was told they become depressed in tanks.
Proper diet, proper lighting, extended time outdoors in the hot months for direct sunlight should help prevent this. T-rex's 160w UVB is a good, powerful source that I have used to maintain uromastyx, tortoises, bearded dragons and other reptiles in need of strong lighting. Zoo Med's PowerSun is comparable, but I prefer the T-rex brand.

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Proper diet, proper lighting, extended time outdoors in the hot months for direct sunlight should help prevent this. T-rex's 160w UVB is a good, powerful source that I have used to maintain uromastyx, tortoises, bearded dragons and other reptiles in need of strong lighting. Zoo Med's PowerSun is comparable, but I prefer the T-rex brand.
how long should they be outside for? I'd prefer keeping an eye out on them if I let em freeroam outside...

OphidianDelight

Arachnoknight
how long should they be outside for? I'd prefer keeping an eye out on them if I let em freeroam outside...
A few hours. Monitor them to keep them from overheating. Don't use glass outside as it magnifies the heat and can easily lead to fatal conditions. Use a pen with a wire roof to house them unattended (but check up on them often). Take into account that they can dig under your barriers for the pen as well.

I recommend the blue tongue skinks, also. They are great lizards, a lot of personality.

Last edited:

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A few hours. Monitor them to keep them from overheating. Don't use glass outside as it magnifies the heat and can easily lead to fatal conditions. Use a pen with a wire roof to house them unattended (but check up on them often). Take into account that they can dig under your barriers for the pen as well.

At this point, I'm bowing out. A lot of these questions could have been answered through independent research. Please, I don't mean to be rude. Asking for suggestions is great, but finding your own answers will be more rewarding. Hope you come up with something satisfying.

Blue tongue skinks are great lizards, a lot of personality. Okay, now I'm done.
Personally I'm debating myself between tortoises or hermit crabs. I'm pretty persistant. So either one will do. but i guess Ill look more @ it later. Im too tired to keep reading. I been doing researh btw.