Any good 24/7 Lamps For Jumpers?

ShiveredTimbers

Arachnopeon
There's a type of jumping spider I want however there is only one seller that I've found that I can specify what sex/appearance I'm looking for. They are very serious about proper housing for the species and one of the things she prefers them to have a lamp with a 24/7 day/night setting. I also need it generally for my audax since I'm currently repurposing a photosynthesis lamp with a 8/12 hour setting but would like something more realistic than the pink light. I'm looking for a desk lamp where you can input the time and click a 24/7 setting that either sits on top a surface or clamp to the edge but all the options I find are aquarium lamps that are set on top large enclosures. Which wouldn't work as the enclosure for my audax and the one I have for this species aren't the same dimensions. I'm planning to put it inside or at the edge of the shelving unit I'm building next week (depending if it's a regular lamp or one that clamps to an edge) and for further clarification I only need a lamp for light not heat.

Last edited:

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
There's a type of jumping spider I want however there is only one seller that I've found that I can specify what sex/appearance I'm looking for. They are very serious about proper housing for the species and one of the things she prefers them to have is a lamp with a 24/7 since Jumpers hunt and do most of their stuff during the day & sleep at night. I also need it generally for my audax since I'm currently repurposing a photosynthesis lamp with a 8/12 hour setting but would like something more realistic than the pink light. I'm looking for a desk lamp where you can input the time and click a 24/7 setting that either sits on top a surface or clamp to the edge but all the options I find are aquarium lamps that are set on top large enclosures. Which wouldn't work as the enclosure for my audax and the one I have for this species aren't the same dimensions. I'm planning to put it inside or at the edge of the shelving unit I'm building next week (depending if it's a regular lamp or one that clamps to an edge) and for further clarification I only need a lamp for light not heat.
So you mean a light that is on 24/7?

ShiveredTimbers

Arachnopeon
So you mean a light that is on 24/7?
A light with a 24/7 setting where you put in the time and click a button so it goes through a day night cycle based on that time. The only ones I can find are the ones that are suppose to be set on large aquariums. But with the set up I have it's not possible to use that kind. So I need one that has that setting but shaped more like a desk lamp.

My autocorrect isn't doing me any favors I see.

Last edited:

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
You mean a 12/12? Just get a cheap timer and plug whatever you want into it, and set it to whatever cycle you want...

Gilligan

Arachnosquire
Pet shops usually have the day cycle timers you can plug into a power bar to control the light source. Use any light fixture/source. You don't need a terrarium specific light.

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
Yeah you are probably only gonna find big versions of that on the market. I've used them on my aquariums for years. I've never seen a small desk top version.

ShiveredTimbers

Arachnopeon
For everyone that was confused by my question someone messaged me a pretty good answer so here it is in case someone else is looking for the same thing.

"I use a basic 12v led light strip and have it plugged into a cheap smart plug. I have it turn on and off automatically and can control it using my phone. It was $15 for a set of 4 smart plugs and I got 25' of led strip, the snap connectors, and wall adapters for $35. I have a ton of spiders on multiple shelves and need lighting for all of them so it may be a bit overkill if you only have one spood but it's very convenient."

Here's the cheapest one at Home Depot.

I will look more into this! Thanks!

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
@ShiveredTimbers Ideally what you need, and some critter rooms would benefit from, is a timed circuit. In a pseudo diagram:
Average room circuits -> One run from the breaker panel supplying power to the entire room which splits into receptacles and lighting where convenient.
Improved room circuit -> power into the room is split at a single junction box into separate receptacles and lighting circuits.
Critter room circuit -> Power into room is split into three circuits; receptacles, lighting, and a timer. Each is labeled permanently as such.
Alternate timer circuit: Blue tooth receivers powering relays: https://www.amazon.com/bluetooth-outlet/s?k=bluetooth+outlet

A competent electrician could rewire just about any room into three circuits. Depending on how the house is wired a conversion to a triplet could take an hour or two with minimal fuss on out to a major room renovation for the price of a well maintained Maserati.

Last edited:

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
i dont get the point? why not just put it in a room with a window?

in indirect light ofc.

that way it has a perfectly suitable/ natural day-night cycle

ForTW

Arachnobaron
@Wolfram1 Money 😉
I think exo terra released the glow in the dark lampsockets.
I like them and they glow for a few hours in decent light.

ShiveredTimbers

Arachnopeon
i dont get the point? why not just put it in a room with a window?

in indirect light ofc.

that way it has a perfectly suitable/ natural day-night cycle
Because of the unfortunate reality of seasons, changing temperatures, & with the way my room is set up it wouldn't work.

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
well, you do you, a friend of mine has successfuly raised and bred many different species of Phiddipus (adumbratus, audax, texanus, regius) without any kind of lamp
changing seasons or fluctuating daylight hours are not really crucial or anything to worry about, it is also safer to heat the room than it is to heat the enclosures...

ShiveredTimbers

Arachnopeon
The advice you're giving is based on the assumption that I live in a temperate climate zone and the genus this is for. Both of which wouldn't pertain to my situation.