Any funny reptile stories?

ThorsCarapace22

Arachnosquire
So what's it taste like?

o_O How did they think snapping turtles eat?

Snapping turtles are awesome. Probably my third favorite turtle after alligator snappers and mata-matas.
It's kinda like frog legs, But with more flavor. And I agree they are awesome and very strong. I guess they didn't think that hard on it :D

zyphonix223

Arachnosquire
I moved an empty tank next to my ball python's tank and she always looked curiously at it and tried to look into it so I put a box in between tanks so it wouldn't stress her out.
A couple nights afterwards I heard movement in my room and a bang. So a turned on the lights and saw that she somehow pushed open the lid and was chilling out in the other tank. I tried to take her out of she gripped onto the tank and refused to leave. So I put one of her hides in it and let her lay there for the night. Also I showed my bearded dragon to my tarantula's cage and she tried to eat him.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Probably the funniest is when I was younger and I got my first blue tongue skink. My mom was and is afraid of anything that isnt a cat or a dog. I had caught a decent sized broadhead skink that summer and she was kind of fascinated watching it go crazy over crickets and grasshoppers. Fast forward to my birthday in January and I asked if I could get a blue tongue skink. Unfortunately for her, she wasn't listening to me well and thought I said blue tailed skink (little 3-5" skinks that we find running around our property). Well she said yes. When she got home from work after I had bought him, she asked to see him. He's buried in his new enclosure, so when I pull him out and she sees this 20" sausage with legs, she screams and runs out of the room, much to my dad's and my humor. She warmed up to the idea of having him in the house quickly, but she would google any animal I asked for after that. Still have that lizard 12 years later.

Last edited:

zyphonix223

Arachnosquire
Probably the funniest is when I was little and I got my first blue tongue skink. My mom was and is afraid of anything that isnt a cat or a dog. I had caught a decent sized broadhead skink that summer and she was kind of fascinated watching it go crazy over crickets and grasshoppers. Fast forward to my birthday in January and I asked if I could get a blue tongue skink. Unfortunately for her, she wasn't listening to me well and thought I said blue tailed skink (little 3-5" skinks that we find running around our property). Well she said yes. When she got home from work after I had bought him, she asked to see him. He's buried in his new enclosure, so when I pull him out and she sees this 20" sausage with legs, she screams and runs out of the room, much to my dad's and my humor. She warmed up to the idea of having him in the house quickly, but she would google any animal I asked for after that. Still have that lizard 12 years later.
My Grandma hates reptiles and was terrified of my bearded dragon when I got her. Now, she loves her so much she brings her vegetables like cilantro. :)

Brandon Davies

Arachnopeon
Or I am so happy I have found this thread!

I recently acquired a varanus ornatus and I have been taming up he lets me put my full hand under him now which is good!

Anyways, everytime I take his bath out to remove all the substrate inside of the damn thing he has a fit as to say that's my pool!!!
and then when I put it back in he is chill. BUT...

When I fill it up with water, this is a totally different deal, he will run back and forth in the enclosure about 5 times and then whip me a few times and start biting the water. Once I am done he chills out looks at me for a second then jumps in the water.

After about 10 mins I go back and he will let me pet him again I honestly do wonder what there thought process is lol!

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
Probably the funniest is when I was younger and I got my first blue tongue skink. My mom was and is afraid of anything that isnt a cat or a dog. I had caught a decent sized broadhead skink that summer and she was kind of fascinated watching it go crazy over crickets and grasshoppers. Fast forward to my birthday in January and I asked if I could get a blue tongue skink. Unfortunately for her, she wasn't listening to me well and thought I said blue tailed skink (little 3-5" skinks that we find running around our property). Well she said yes. When she got home from work after I had bought him, she asked to see him. He's buried in his new enclosure, so when I pull him out and she sees this 20" sausage with legs, she screams and runs out of the room, much to my dad's and my humor. She warmed up to the idea of having him in the house quickly, but she would google any animal I asked for after that. Still have that lizard 12 years later.
My mum ran out of a reptile room at a pet store when a bluey took 1 step up onto it's basking spot. Turned green and ran lol! But she is fine with Ts???

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
My mum ran out of a reptile room at a pet store when a bluey took 1 step up onto it's basking spot. Turned green and ran lol! But she is fine with Ts???
Its amazing how many Aussies here are terrified of bluey's. In fact, many people needlessly kill them because they believe that they are venomous

darkstar305

Arachnopeon
Probably not ‘funny’ to anyone but a herper but I will say this:

Bringing a live venomous snake to the Emergency Room post-envenomation is a surefire way to scare the hell out of the staff.

For further clarification, I was not the individual seeking treatment. I was working & since I am my ER’s ‘critter guy’ I was asked to deal with the snake.

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
Probably not ‘funny’ to anyone but a herper but I will say this:

Bringing a live venomous snake to the Emergency Room post-envenomation is a surefire way to scare the hell out of the staff.

For further clarification, I was not the individual seeking treatment. I was working & since I am my ER’s ‘critter guy’ I was asked to deal with the snake.
Correct me if I'm wrong but that would be the safest time to deal with a venomous snake (in the case of a full wet bite) as the snake would need to eat to manufacture more venom ;)

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
My last comment was meant in jest. Not to be taken seriously.

Here is one I experienced the other day. I saw a 2 and a half foot ball python climb the wall of its enclosure at a pet store. It just kept going higher and higher. Then it bailed and slid down the wall totally derpy. A minute later it did the same thing again. This time it got further up the wall. And kept going...and going...and going. I checked out its tail and I kid you not. It was right up on the tip with less than an inch flat on the ground. Totally standing on its tippy toes. My first thought: If I bought this snake I would name it Ballerina!

darkstar305

Arachnopeon
Correct me if I'm wrong but that would be the safest time to deal with a venomous snake (in the case of a full wet bite) as the snake would need to eat to manufacture more venom ;)
My astounding ability to pro/con situations has allowed me the mental grounding to not take that chance. Not to mention should I ever be bitten, my coworkers would relentlessly mock me...

Edit: on my phone & it messes with my spelling.

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
My astounding ability to pro/con situations has allowed me the mental grounding to not take that chance. Not to mention should I ever be bitten, my coworkers would relentlessly mock me...

Edit: on my phone & it messes with my spelling.
True that! I wouldn't take any chances either! I'm sure the patients and staff at the er would be a little freaked out!

Person walks into the er with a pillow case.
Administrator : whats the emergency
Patient : I got bit
Admin : By what?
Patient : This (pulls king cobra out of pillow case)

Everyone runs away!

darkstar305

Arachnopeon
True that! I wouldn't take any chances either! I'm sure the patients and staff at the er would be a little freaked out!

Person walks into the er with a pillow case.
Administrator : whats the emergency
Patient : I got bit
Admin : By what?
Patient : This (pulls king cobra out of pillow case)

Everyone runs away!
One of the Nurse Practitioners I work with told me years ago a snakebite patient came in with a live timber rattlesnake in a container. Somehow the rattlesnake got out, but was recaptured. The Nurse Practitioner in question ‘noped the <edit> out of that situation’. - His words lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
One of the Nurse Practitioners I work with told me years ago a snakebite patient came in with a live timber rattlesnake in a container. Somehow the rattlesnake got out, but was recaptured. The Nurse Practitioner in question ‘noped the <edit> out of that situation’. - His words lol
Probably came in without a snake hook too!

Reminds me of a skunk that lived in my neighborhood. I named him "Buddy". His rump was 3 feet wide and he was an absolute monster of a giant. He would jump in front of trucks driving down the street and try to spray them. Everyone would laugh at me when I would tell them how big he was...untill they encountered him.

Well one day I was driving home and saw him walking calmly down the sidewalk. Pulled up to my house and saw 10 people waiting for the bus. My first thought was " I should warn them about Buddy". Then I figured I should get my camera out! Unfortunately my battery was dead. But it was hillarious! One guy points with this look of horror on his face and all 10 people get up and run like mad to the next bus stop.

It resembled my colony of grass lizards when I spray the tank!

Can just picture a timber rattler on the loose in a hospital with the same reaction. Heck, I have been around bears and I would have noped out too :)

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I swear my reptiles are deliberately teasing the new cats. They are out and about and being very visual all of the time. Everyone knows that ball pythons (esp) stay in their hide until feeding time. Not my ball python these days. Even my bearded dragon seems to be a vaudeville act. They see my cats and make outlandish displays. My cats cannot resist them being so obviously out and about. I seriously worry about broken tanks. Aren't cats their predators??? :(

I am considering moving them to a private room. I know they see the cats and seem to tease them. Or, perhaps I at least need a single rack drawer for BP instead of a glass tank. Crazy. I'd think the reptiles would be afraid of the new cats. My former cat (Zuri, RB) never paid them any mind. It's like the reptiles here have gone wild and are deliberately being entertaining. But I know better. (sigh) :(