Any feedback on my P. regalis enclosure?

starlight_kitsune

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They came out finally after their car-ride-home-molt adventure and were nice and positioned to be measured. 3.5" DLS regalis, and the enclosure is 8"x8"x12". It's an enclosure that my partner ordered for me for them.

It's bigger than I would like for them, but do y'all think its way too big or is it fine? And is it covered enough for them? They're not rehoused into it just yet. Was waiting on some time sans toddler to transfer them. They're my first and only OW so far, but not my first arboreal. Just want to make sure I have it set to go for them.
186556699_1180675329070083_1057722255455621386_n.jpg

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
Looks fine to me. You can go a little bigger with arboreals than terrestrials. Pokies grow fast, so I think it should be fine.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They came out finally after their car-ride-home-molt adventure and were nice and positioned to be measured. 3.5" DLS regalis, and the enclosure is 8"x8"x12". It's an enclosure that my partner ordered for me for them.

It's bigger than I would like for them, but do y'all think its way too big or is it fine? And is it covered enough for them? They're not rehoused into it just yet. Was waiting on some time sans toddler to transfer them. They're my first and only OW so far, but not my first arboreal. Just want to make sure I have it set to go for them.
View attachment 384891
Regalis isn’t small species. If it’s female, I’d go taller than 12” and wider than 8”

Not a rule mind you, but I like giving them more space given their size and speed.

I’d put cage furniture towards the top too- too empty up top

starlight_kitsune

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Regalis isn’t small species. If it’s female, I’d go taller than 12” and wider than 8”

Not a rule mind you, but I like giving them more space given their size and speed.

I’d put cage furniture towards the top too- too empty up top
I'll get in first thing in the morning and add some more up top. I think I have another piece of cork, if not I'll go grab some.

They're less than 4" right now, but I definitely wasn't planning on this being their forever enclosure. Would something larger than 12" tall 8" wide at their current size be too big for them? Or should I just go ahead and size it up now in your opinion?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'll get in first thing in the morning and add some more up top. I think I have another piece of cork, if not I'll go grab some.

They're less than 4" right now, but I definitely wasn't planning on this being their forever enclosure. Would something larger than 12" tall 8" wide at their current size be too big for them? Or should I just go ahead and size it up now in your opinion?
Oh I see! You could wait it out, size up later.

starlight_kitsune

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oh I see! You could wait it out, size up later.
Okay cool, we literally just got this enclosure and I was going to be super bummed if it was going to have to sit empty and we were going to need to grab another lol.

starlight_kitsune

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Empty box is a reason for another T!!! :rofl:
I may or may not be window shopping across several sites for another either way lol. I REALLY like this enclosure and the company also makes a 3 pack of sling enclosures.... Plus I also have an adult terrestrial cage empty and a small arboreal enclosure too if I find something slow growing enough to justify it.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
3.5" DLS regalis
I read this and the title as P. regius.....and was there's no way this person has a 3.5in DLS jumper...thats impossible.... LOL Using full latin names greatly helps sometimes. oh boy what a few minute ride that was hahah

starlight_kitsune

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I read this and the title as P. regius.....and was there's no way this person has a 3.5in DLS jumper...thats impossible.... LOL Using full latin names greatly helps sometimes. oh boy what a few minute ride that was hahah
Oh my god can you imagine? That jumper would be a demon lol. Imagine buying feeders for it and trying to prevent escapes

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Oh my god can you imagine? That jumper would be a demon lol. Imagine buying feeders for it and trying to prevent escapes
I mean it’d be pretty incredible!! But oh boy the size of the eyes on a 3.5in P. Regius.....and that thing would be able to jump clear across the room😬, any insect is cooler bigger, but that one I think might be better the size it is 🤣

starlight_kitsune

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I mean it’d be pretty incredible!! But oh boy the size of the eyes on a 3.5in P. Regius.....and that thing would be able to jump clear across the room😬, any insect is cooler bigger, but that one I think might be better the size it is 🤣
Plus with how much larger prey than them they already take down I feel like people would need to watch any toddlers carefully around them lol. Hell, I'm short, I might have to be careful even lmao.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
The enclosure size is on point. Pokies are amazing predators and have no problem finding food in larger enclosures. Their growth rate is pretty fast too, so a larger enclosure means less rehouses (less rehouses means less chances to get bit by an agitated, defensive spider). Finally, a larger enclosure for OW's gives you more space to work around the tarantula without freaking it out, and should it freak out, it'll have more space to bolt in the enclosure, lessening the chance it takes an unexpected stroll outside.

starlight_kitsune

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
When there is an empty enclosure:

Getting a tarantula.

When there is no empty enclosure:

Getting an empty enclosure, and a tarantula.
This board is a terrible influence. I just bought 3 slings AND 3 new teeny tiny enclosures lol.

The enclosure size is on point. Pokies are amazing predators and have no problem finding food in larger enclosures. Their growth rate is pretty fast too, so a larger enclosure means less rehouses (less rehouses means less chances to get bit by an agitated, defensive spider). Finally, a larger enclosure for OW's gives you more space to work around the tarantula without freaking it out, and should it freak out, it'll have more space to bolt in the enclosure, lessening the chance it takes an unexpected stroll outside.
Awesome. I'm hoping they'll decide to settle in AWAY from the door lol.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
This board is a terrible influence. I just bought 3 slings AND 3 new teeny tiny enclosures lol.
Lmao, one of my most liked comments was in a thread asking "How did your tarantula collection grow over time?". My answer? Exponentially....