Any E.uatuman keepers?

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Hey guys just wondering how many of you are keeping this awesome and IMO underated species?

I don't see many discussions on them and it has me curious what your opinions are on the species if you are keeping them.. If your not keeping them what made you decide to pass them by?

I have two adult females one W/C and one C/B.. Other than the fact that the W/C female takes longer to acclimate( starting to feed and burrow) after a rehouse there is no real difference..

The reason this sp. Was on my must have list is because of the subtle beauty they possess as adults.. Obviously the slings are gourgous but IMO the rusty legs and the slight green sheen on the abdomen is just as appealing.. I love the leg structure on this sp as well.. It is somewhat similar to Avicularia and psalmopoeus sp.

They also fall into the pet hole category which is very appealing to me as well as being slightly defensive..

The only downside to this species for me is there size.. Mine are both adults at just about 4 inches..

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Ephebopus are underrated. cool genus i want to own in the near future.
You see a fair amount of people keeping murinus and cyanognathus but not many that keep uataman or rufescens.. Both of which I feel are as good looking as cyanognathus and much more interesting looking than murinus..

I'm not knocking murinus but there are many sp. That have similar paint jobs.. Hard to say that about the other three mentioned..

I believe ephebopus has one more recognised species E.foliatus but I have never seen one offered.. From what I saw on google images they are very good looking but who knows if that search result is even pulling up the correct species..

14pokies

Arachnoprince
On my hit list as well.

...and because of this post and your praise @14pokies , it has climbed a few places on my hit list, lol.
They are deffinately cool! I have to rehouse one of my females.. If I don't shoot a video of it I will atleast snap a few picks of her and attach them to this thread..

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
They are deffinately cool! I have to rehouse one of my females.. If I don't shoot a video of it I will atleast snap a few picks of her and attach them to this thread..
I, honestly at the moment, would prefer an Ephebopus murinus. The color scheme appeals to me more. However, this is your chance to convince me that I should get a uatuman instead. :D So shoot, and let's hear it.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I, honestly at the moment, would prefer an Ephebopus murinus. The color scheme appeals to me more. However, this is your chance to convince me that I should get a uatuman instead. :D So shoot, and let's hear it.
Lol there aren't that many green Ts in the hobby.. Now think of all the Ts that are black or brown and have white stripes..
Also consider how easy it is to find murinus compared to uatuman.. If keeping something a little different than most people appeals to you than uatuman beats out murinus..

Honestly it's your choice.. I would.never want to persuade someone into buying one species or another.. Get what you like!

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Lol there aren't that many green Ts in the hobby.. Now think of all the Ts that are black or brown and have white stripes..
Also consider how easy it is to find murinus compared to uatuman.. If keeping something a little different than most people appeals to you than uatuman beats out murinus..

Honestly it's your choice.. I would.never want to persuade someone into buying one species or another.. Get what you like!
Lol, probably just gonna end up buying both species. Ephebopus is an interesting genus, I'd like to see those pedipalp-urticating hairs in action. :D

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Lol, probably just gonna end up buying both species. Ephebopus is an interesting genus, I'd like to see those pedipalp-urticating hairs in action. :D
Good choice!

I have never seen them trying to use there urticating hairs.. With mine as soon as the front legs go up the fangs drop Lol..

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Good choice!

I have never seen them trying to use there urticating hairs.. With mine as soon as the front legs go up the fangs drop Lol..
Awesome! I have yet to have a species as defensive as that, but I feel I'm ready for it. :)

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have a beauty of a uatuman. Molted yesterday. She's vicious and very fast. I find her much more interesting than my adult female murinus, which is way more laid-back.
Old photo of her:
kdfkns.jpg

Depending on the angle you're shining the light, you'll see different colors on the abdomen. Sometimes you won't see any green at all. Instead, it's a beautiful burgundy hue, same color as the legs.

Last edited:

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I have a beauty of a uatuman. Molted yesterday. She's vicious and very fast. I find her much more interesting than my adult female murinus. which is way more laid-back.
Old photo of her:
View attachment 228489
She's gourgous! Yes both of mine are very defensive! When I was removing my one female from the container I recieved her in she didn't throw a threat posture or anything she just bit down on the straw.. Now that she is settled in I get as many threat postures as you would get with an OBT, psalmo, haplo sp etc.. They are no joke!

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have kept this genus, but not this species. Advan has bred this species though.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
These are on my (recently updated, lol) wish list. Even though i haven't been keeping these very long yet, there is something about this genus that appeals to me. They're burrowers, but i still see my murinus and cyanognathus often, hanging out of their burrows. I'm just waiting for the price of rufescens and uataman to drop.

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
I have a female and honestly even though it's a pet hole it's still worth it because the coloring is so unique, she's my first of the genus and hopefully not the last. I'll probably breed her too in the near future so soon i'll be keeping an eye out here for any MMs.

Definitely a must have in my collection.
20161221_232312.jpg

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Advan has bred this species though.
Yea, when I first picked these girls up I made a thread asking for breeding tips and he dropped by with a few photos of sacs he has produced..

He also informed me that they tend to double clutch.. It's great info if only I could find a damn MALE :banghead: !

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I have a female and honestly even though it's a pet hole it's still worth it because the coloring is so unique, she's my first of the genus and hopefully not the last. I'll probably breed her too in the near future so soon i'll be keeping an eye out here for any MMs.

Definitely a must have in my collection.
View attachment 228509
She a beauty! If you find a MM I'll knife fight you for it.. Old style where we only where shorts and they bind our left hands together with leather strap! :p..

*Edit*
It's interesting to see that you keep yours a little on the dry side also.. The little bit of care info I could find said to keep them more moist like murinus. Mine didn't do well like that and wouldn't feed untill the sub dried up substantially.. I keep them just about the same as P.irmina only very lightly moist sub and they are doing great!

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
Yea, when I first picked these girls up I made a thread asking for breeding tips and he dropped by with a few photos of sacs he has produced..

He also informed me that they tend to double clutch.. It's great info if only I could find a damn MALE :banghead: !
If you acquire a male let me know when your done with his service... same will go with me if I find one. ;)

14pokies

Arachnoprince
If you acquire a male let me know when your done with his service... same will go with me if I find one. ;)
Word.. I was just going to PM you the same! Seemed much more civil then gutting each other in the town square :rofl: