Any down sides to using moss in enclosures?

DeTwan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I recently received some rock cap & fern moss from a friend and I was wondering if there are any down sides to using them in T enclosures? I know it will bring up the humity and that some drier species might not enjoy this... I did put some in my B. Smithi enclosure, do you think this is wrong since it is a drier species? I also add moss to my P. Subfusca, P. Metallica, P. Rufilata, and A. Versicolor enclosures. Any feedback on others personal experiences would be appreciated!

Last edited:

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Just let the moss dry out. The moss can't increase humidity if it doesn't have any. I have dried moss in my GBB enclosure, and they like it desert dry.

It looks really good in the enclosure, so at least you'll have something else to look at when the T is in premoult :)

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
moss

I use moss in all my enclosures, if you need more humidity, mist more often, or for drier conditions let the moss dry out between mists. Has worked well for me, even the burrowers can make burrows with the moss, they just web it together into the correct shape.

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i originally had moss in some of my enclosures and had wanted to put it in with some of my slings to help hold humidity as well. However, i was worried the moss would just give the crickets a place to hide and i wouldn't be able to keep an eye on my slings. Am i just being too paranoid??

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i originally had moss in some of my enclosures and had wanted to put it in with some of my slings to help hold humidity as well. However, i was worried the moss would just give the crickets a place to hide and i wouldn't be able to keep an eye on my slings. Am i just being too paranoid??
I'm pretty sure the crickets will hide in the moss, but think of it this way, are there humans preventing prey items from hiding in the Wild? No, so I think it would be safe to put in there regardless as long as you steralize it.

KaineSoulblade

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Moss works great for me. Its great for the display of the spider den and they can build with it. My rosea and parahybana use it as burrow siding. It looks even cooler structured with webbing.

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
structure with moss

Yes, my terrestrials do fine with the moss, the L. para has made a little hollow in the moss behind her bark, and usually sits there resting. My Red Rump vagans has made a complete burrow, with neatly trimmed entrance hole, tunnel webbed in place, and dug-out a chamber at the bottom of the moss. I can watch her at all times, and its interesting to see her come halfway up the burrow, and rest a little ways below the entrance waiting for food. When crix wander near, she grabs it and runs back down to the burrow chamber to eat. Really neat to watch, just like I presume terrestrials do with their burrows in the wild.