any canadian beetle fans?

driver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i was hoping i could find someone in canada with an interest in beetles, none of the major online suppliers seem to carry much in that area. i'd really like to get my hands on some different species of african rhino beetles, and possibly some tanzanian pillbugs. who are the right people to talk to for selection in pedes & beetles for canadians?

maxident213

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hey man, welcome. I don't know about beetles, but if you join the Canadian sub-forum here, I'm sure someone will help, and your post may get answered faster. Click on "User CP" in the top left of your screen, scroll down to "Group Memberships" and request to join the Canadian forum. Once approved, ask again in there. Good luck, and again, welcome to AB. :cool:

edit - You may find some answers there to your P. boreus scorpion questions as well.

driver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Signed up for the subforum the other day, just waiting on authorization now :razz:

I'm thinking I might make my way out for a quick 2 or 3 day hunt this week, depending on the situation...

Arachnomaniak

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Where are you located in BC? I'm always interested in connecting with other BC-ers! Beetles can be very difficult to find in Canada, trust me! There seems to be very little offered in Canada as far as beetles are concerned... Not sure if it's because nobody wants to keep them, or if it's because of the strict regulations regarding their importation. The closest I've been able to get is having a huge rhino beetle mounted in flight under glass on my living room coffee table :p
The "giant pill bugs" can be very difficult to get in as well. I lucked out once and got one through a pet store but other than that haven't seen much available. The giant pill bugs can be very difficult to keep alive as well and tend to have a shor lifespan. Most people believe this is due to the lack of natural food outside of the locations they are found in.
Once you join the Canadian forum, be sure to check out all the details on the BC Arachnoparty coming up in August! This is a "must see" event for anyone who can make the drive to the Okanagan! I'll be there with tonnes of inverts and you can meet tonnes of other invert fanatics as well. Might luck out and find a contact there that will be able to help you in your search!
Good luck and welcome to the boards! Look forward to seeing you in the Canadian forum!