Any Birders Here?

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've had birds in my life since I was born. My parents had two parakeets (Spade and Buddy) when I was a baby. Got a cockatiel (Sam) when I was a toddler. He just passed away this past fall at the age of 23. My mom got a mitred conure (Ivy) when I was around 7 years old, I'm 27 now. Ivy is still alive and doing just fine. When I was in high school I took in two parrotlets (Copernicus & Little Bird) that were used by a breeder and didn't take great care of them. Now I have coturnix quail, but only one has a name. He's the friendliest one and enjoys sitting on my shoulder while I walk around the garden. His name is Dan Quail. I also help take care of some red tail hawks and owls at a local wildlife sanctuary. Here's some pictures:

Sam the cockatiel (RIP 1992 - 2015)

Little Bird the parrotlet being goofy

Ivy the Mitred Conure

Hannibal the one-eyed Eastern Screech Owl

Dan Quail the Coturnix Quail

Ohh, very nice birds!! They are beutiful!!!

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Congrats on your success! Had to google that seedeater- what a cute bird.

Not a birder here but like many, like to pause and look at a bird passing by & had various pet birds, including 'exotics'- parrots, softbills, game birds, poultry and waterfowl over the years. Sort of a "genetics hobbyist", had fun combining genetics in many of the birds but currently only have a few chickens with unusual genes to play with.

Recent bird sightings- last week paused to watch a large flock of white pelicans going around in circles to gain altitude then gliding off in formation. I keep forgetting just how huge they are. In the last couple weeks, regular sightings of what I believe to be white tailed kites(? they are kites of some kind for sure..) hanging around in the neighbor's trees. This weekend got to see what appears to be a courtship ritual- one bird in particular was flying around slowly with the wings raised high above their backs and fluttering slightly like a butterfly. That was both odd and beautiful. Also what appears to be several different species of warblers attracted to the flowering aloes.. hopeless with identifying them though. This morning watched a pair of wrens(no idea what species) bringing nesting materials to a spot in the yard. Pretty much never see wrens of any sort around here so that was a double treat.
I've been after the seedeater since I moved down here a year and a half ago, so it was great to finally see it. It was a super cooperative male too, so everyone got great looks and pics.

Pelicans are massive, but I love seeing them! Birds are starting to migrate north again too, so now's a great time to see a variety of species including some that won't be around for long.

I love seeing wrens! Based on timing and behavior I'd guess house wrens. I actually just saw a canyon wren for the first time last week, so that was awesome! He popped right up when I played a canyon wren call as well, so my wife and I both got great looks at him.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Getting closer, I'm at 392, so I'm hoping 2020 will be the year I reach lifer #400. I'm missing plenty of shorebirds, so a couple drives to the coast should help me wrap that up. That or going further west.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I broke 400 species in the US at the end of 2020 with a long overdue trip to Cameron County, TX, with a black skimmer being the magical one. Way too cool. Just finished up being a driver and a last minute guide at a nearby birding festival this past weekend. Even picked up a lifer doing that, black-throated grey warbler. It's a gorgeous species and was a male in breeding plumage too.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
While I don't specifically go bird watching, when I lived on the family farm or go on walks I look for them. I would say I have a fairly high knowledge of the local bird species and a above average knowledge of species worldwide. I've seen some fairly rare species (for my area) over the years.

checkmate

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Started getting into it a few years back. Bought a Sibley and a Stokes book for IDing. Mainly shore birds and ducks are local. Never could ID small birds like warblers, wrens, etc. I started back up recently though. I want to see an owl one day, that's my unicorn.

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yep I'm a pretty serious birder as well. It scratched that collecting itch that I have to see or Cath 'em all.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
While I don't specifically go bird watching, when I lived on the family farm or go on walks I look for them. I would say I have a fairly high knowledge of the local bird species and a above average knowledge of species worldwide. I've seen some fairly rare species (for my area) over the years.
That's how it started for me, I'd see them everywhere and then I really started getting into it. Lots of neat stuff to learn.

Started getting into it a few years back. Bought a Sibley and a Stokes book for IDing. Mainly shore birds and ducks are local. Never could ID small birds like warblers, wrens, etc. I started back up recently though. I want to see an owl one day, that's my unicorn.
That's funny that you mention that, I really like ducks, but I'm terrible with shorebirds. But I'll take shorebirds over gulls any day. I got really good at warblers when I lived in Illinois because they'd come migrating through in large numbers, but since I've moved to south Texas I'm further away from the main migration lines. That said, we still get the weird lost birds with some regularity.

Twantula1215

Arachnopeon
One of my brothers has a Belgian Waterslager Canary name Elvis, that has eyes for me. Little dude starts singing his head off when I walk into the room.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
I've been trying to get into it lately. Birds are very dope, love the birds of prey.

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
Not sure if it counts but I love poultry, we have several types of purebred chickens, a khaki Campbell duck named Coco and my daughter has a budgerigar named Steve😉