Any bat keepers?

mr.wilderness

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
how do the bats get it in the first place though
I think since they all roost together if one of them has rabies and sneezes or something it vaporizes and they are all at risk? I think I read somewhere that people have contracted it by going into caves full of bats and breathing the fumes.

rollinkansas

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you go to the reptile forum:

captivebred.co.uk there are a couple members that keep bats. They all have multi page threads on it explaining any questions youd probably have.

I know one of them has the roost area above a slop sink in his reptile room, and they have free range of the room and crap into the slop sink.

mr.wilderness

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
h

If you go to the reptile forum:

captivebred.co.uk there are a couple members that keep bats. They all have multi page threads on it explaining any questions youd probably have.

I know one of them has the roost area above a slop sink in his reptile room, and they have free range of the room and crap into the slop sink.
That's an interesting housing method... Whatever works and lets the bats be happy i guess..

sweetmisery

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I used to have 2 fruit bats(flying foxes), but have to give it away... their pee really really stinks. Now that I got a bigger place, I might again. Very voracious eaters!

johnny888

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hello everyone! I just want to share a picture of this albino fruitbat that i saw in our neighboring town in the Southern province of Luzon. I wanted to have him so much so I can provide him with an appropiate enclosure but the keeper wouldn't let go of him....:(

M.F.Bagaturov

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow!
Thanks for sharing the pic!!!
Great fruit-bat. What genera this one is - some Rosaettus species or any other one?
Here's mine pair of Rosaettus aegyptiacus. I like them very much and this is seems so the only one species available in Russian captivity.

Attachments

johnny888

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
@M.F.Bagaturov:

Im not so sure about its genus but the most common in our place is the white winged flying fox (Pteropus_leucopterus).

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Bats have always been interesting animals to me. What is it with arthropods, herps, weird plants, rocks, fossils and metal detecting? I've seen allot of the mex freetails, but one night I was going from Bryan Tx to San Marcos Tx and I hit something. I got out of my car and peeled a bat from my grill. It was knocked out. It was much bigger than the freetails and a blonde color. I kept it for a few days and then it flew away.

rm90

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
M.F.Bagaturov, very cute bats. One question out of curiousity -- how do you let them exercise their wings? do you let them fly around a room or something? ^_^

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i had a good friend in austin that raised five giant flying fox bats..they were freaking cool!!!

M.F.Bagaturov

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hello Ryan!
M.F.Bagaturov, very cute bats. One question out of curiousity -- how do you let them exercise their wings? do you let them fly around a room or something? ^_^
In fact they have large enclosure but I never find them trying to fly...
They both (both were captive born) regularly spread their wings and flap them, but never try to fly... Dunno why.
Several times being putting out into room for fly they were just flap on the floor and don't try to risen up.

christin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hello Ryan!

In fact they have large enclosure but I never find them trying to fly...
They both (both were captive born) regularly spread their wings and flap them, but never try to fly... Dunno why.
Several times being putting out into room for fly they were just flap on the floor and don't try to risen up.
Being captive born,they probibly never had the opportunity to build the muscle strength neccisary for flight. That would be my guess. It happens with large birds too sometimes. In particular I know of a rescued bald eagle who was kept in a closet for a longtime, after being rescued it took along time for him to build up to even very short flights. He will never be able to be released due to the atropy.

Amazing pics, bats are facinating animals! definitly in my top 10 :)

M.F.Bagaturov

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I agree, Christin.
And I love my Fruit Bats much than Sugar gliders and some dormouses I own!