Any Alaskan Tarantula Enthusiasts Out There?

Ty Spaulding

Arachnopeon
Yeah, you got it for an unsexed price, although you do get killed with shipping costs being all the way up there (although not much more than the rest of us)...I would recommend in the future, buying them in bunches, the less you buy, the more the shipping costs kill you....buying one at a time is about the most expensive way to expand this hobby. Think about it, if you bought 10, you'd be paying about $4.50 per t for shipping, versus $45 for just the one.

You are going to like the KB though, they are tunnel making masters. When mine was small it had a whole system with like 8 holes coming to the surface. Often I'd open the top to feed and it would constantly be bouncing up and down in random holes like I was at an arcade playing "whack-a-mole".
Whoa. That behavior sounds awesome.

Just make sure it has enough room to do a lot of burrowing. Mine's in a KK for another molt or two, and has 5 inches of sub, when re-housed next though, it will have a much bigger enclosure and at least 10 inches of substrate.
What is a kk? I've seen that used a bunch. Mine has plenty of room, 6-7 inches of substrate it's in an 18x18x24 terrarium.

No :) but at 3 inches you can try.
Sweet! I've sexed/species id'd a lot of fish using morphometrics and one mantis so this will be a fun challenge.

Ty Spaulding

Arachnopeon
Yeah, you got it for an unsexed price, although you do get killed with shipping costs being all the way up there (although not much more than the rest of us)...I would recommend in the future, buying them in bunches, the less you buy, the more the shipping costs kill you....buying one at a time is about the most expensive way to expand this hobby. Think about it, if you bought 10, you'd be paying about $4.50 per t for shipping, versus $45 for just the one.

You are going to like the KB though, they are tunnel making masters. When mine was small it had a whole system with like 8 holes coming to the surface. Often I'd open the top to feed and it would constantly be bouncing up and down in random holes like I was at an arcade playing "whack-a-mole".
Also, the chances aren't that bad winding up with a female if they are randomly chosen. Looks like sex ratios seem to be 50/50 in a clutch.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Sweet! I've sexed/species id'd a lot of fish using morphometrics and one mantis so this will be a fun challenge.
I've said to cold blood to try if there's the chance, but maybe it's better to wait 3.5 or 4 (now i'm not a champion of inches, i use cm) because 0.1 back legs are particular (and lovely) and 1.0 Pelinobius muticus ones doesn't have that shape.

However we are talking about a Theraphosidae that took forever to grow, even if well fed :)

Ty Spaulding

Arachnopeon
What is a kk? I've seen that used a bunch. Mine has plenty of room, 6-7 inches of substrate it's in an 18x18x24 terrarium.
I would like to use those kritter keepers but I was a little paranoid that it could fit through the slits and I also am using a 15w heat cable to boost the heat of the substrate up. Temp is hovering around 75 df. Hygrometer is reading 80.

I've said to cold blood to try if there's the chance, but maybe it's better to wait 3.5 or 4 (now i'm not a champion of inches, i use cm) because 0.1 back legs are particular (and lovely) and 1.0 Pelinobius muticus ones doesn't have that shape.

However we are talking about a Theraphosidae that took forever to grow, even if well fed :)
I prefer metric as well. It's all we use in the science world. I wish Americans could be convinced it's so much easier to use.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I prefer metric as well. It's all we use in the science world. I wish Americans could be convinced it's so much easier to use.
Ah ah ah, the odd thing is that we here use inches only for determine LCD, LED TV, rims etc in those case, cm disappears all of a sudden.

Ty Spaulding

Arachnopeon

What does the 0.1 and the 1.0 mean?

cold blood

Staff member
I would like to use those kritter keepers but I was a little paranoid that it could fit through the slits and I also am using a 15w heat cable to boost the heat of the substrate up. Temp is hovering around 75 df. Hygrometer is reading 80.
You have zero reason to even own a hygrometer....especially with a species that has no humidity requirements.....but even when you branch out, a hygrometer isn't something you need at all...just a waste of $ IMO.

Be careful with supplemental heat, it should be secondary heat, and nothing direct on the side or bottom of the enclosure.

By 2" a t is safe to put into a KK.

I agree, when I worked in fisheries, every and all measurements were metric.....the general populous may not use it here, but the science world most certainly does.

Ty Spaulding

Arachnopeon
This is where it gets confusing. I will let the substrate dry out more, the humidity is high because it's fresh coconut coir that came in a brick and had to soak. But I researched these exo heat cables, they're pretty safe. It doesn't get close to heating up such that it could overheat the t. It's 70 in the house but wanted to get it to 75 for the t.

cold blood

Staff member
70 in the house is just fine, but more heat will speed things up, so understand the desire to warm it. I will admit, I am not familiar with those heat cables.

I despise those bricks that need to be re-constituted....When I used coco fiber, I only bought the bags...way less hassle. I'm not sure I'd use the bricks if I got them for free, but that's just my opinion. I'm a fan of soil personally.

Ty Spaulding

Arachnopeon
I don't know, this is just anecdotal but the quality of the brick coir appears to be way better than the stuff I was using before. Before I rehoused the t's enclosure had very dry substrate, but a fresh water dish, no heat source. Seemed ok, but this new enclosure with the heat source and increased humidity I can already tell she's much more comfortable. I've never her actually seen her make a nice burrow and lay down webbing. ate 2 crickets right in front of me. Definitely have never seen that. I'm gonna try this out for a while. I don't want to overfeed it but before it was like 2 crickets a month.

70 in the house is just fine, but more heat will speed things up, so understand the desire to warm it. I will admit, I am not familiar with those heat cables.

I despise those bricks that need to be re-constituted....When I used coco fiber, I only bought the bags...way less hassle. I'm not sure I'd use the bricks if I got them for free, but that's just my opinion. I'm a fan of soil personally.
They're pretty cool so far. Flexible, waterproof and durable. Easy to attach to the enclosure. The heat has to travel through about 4inches of substrate so I'm hoping it's just warm enough in there.

cold blood

Staff member
Before I rehoused the t's enclosure had very dry substrate, but a fresh water dish, no heat source.
That's the basic set up for a KB.

Can you post a pic of the heating element, I'm really curious...and a touch concerned.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
They're pretty cool so far. Flexible, waterproof and durable. Easy to attach to the enclosure. The heat has to travel through about 4inches of substrate so I'm hoping it's just warm enough in there.
If the heat cables are just up against the sides, when your kb burrows, it may run into one and stay there, not knowing the heat is coming off of the cable. Pretty much the equivalent of a heat pad. I'd bet if the enclosure itself is 80 degrees the cable is hot enough to kill it. Not 100% sure though, I haven't used these before.

Ty Spaulding

Arachnopeon
The heat cable isn't on the inside of the enclosure and every part of the cable is transferring heat through glass and about an 1.5in of substrate on the one side of the enclosure and 5-6 inches of substrate from the bottom. The inside of the enclosure's thermomemter is reading 75 degrees and that's been holding for a while. the house is 70.

That's the basic set up for a KB.

Can you post a pic of the heating element, I'm really curious...and a touch concerned.
I'm gonna try right now.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
The heat cable isn't on the inside of the enclosure and every part of the cable is transferring heat through glass and about an 1.5in of substrate on the one side of the enclosure and 5-6 inches of substrate from the bottom. The inside of the enclosure's thermomemter is reading 75 degrees and that's been holding for a while. the house is 70.
True but the t will most likely tunnel around the whole entire enclosure, and may come up against the glass where the cable is located on the outside. I may be reading you incorrectly though, so I apologize if I am.

Ty Spaulding

Arachnopeon
IMG_0438.JPG IMG_0437.JPG

So the coated heating cable is on the bottom as well wrapped in 2 in diameter loops. couldn't get a shot of the bottom for obvious reasons.

True but the t will most likely tunnel around the whole entire enclosure, and may come up against the glass where the cable is located on the outside. I may be reading you incorrectly though, so I apologize if I am.
Oh i see what you mean. It's not hot to the touch at all but I realize spiders have a different physiology.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Oh i see what you mean. It's not hot to the touch at all but I realize spiders have a different physiology.
Yeah, thanks for understanding. T's are definitely different than us lol. I also get wanting to heat the t a bit to speed things up(though 70 is alright). Most hobbyists here use an oil heater or space heater, which warms the entire room.

Ty Spaulding

Arachnopeon
Yeah, thanks for understanding. T's are definitely different than us lol. I also get wanting to heat the t a bit to speed things up(though 70 is alright). Most hobbyists here use an oil heater or space heater, which warms the entire room.
A space heater is out of the question for my living situation. I will keep monitoring it but right now the glass around it feels comfortable to touch. Maybe a little warmer than the ambient air temp. Her burrow is at the opposite end of the heating cable. Trust me I'll keep updating if I see a difference. For now there is marked improvement in her behavior. I forgot to mention the wattage, 15w.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
A space heater is out of the question for my living situation. I will keep monitoring it but right now the glass around it feels comfortable to touch. Maybe a little warmer than the ambient air temp. Her burrow is at the opposite end of the heating cable. Trust me I'll keep updating if I see a difference. For now there is marked improvement in her behavior. I forgot to mention the wattage, 15w.
Alright cool, just keep it in mind!