Any Alaskan Tarantula Enthusiasts Out There?

cold blood

Staff member
I wouldn't heat a t enclosure like that. I'd just roll with 70.

The only alternative to a space heater that I would use is a water bath. You just need a tub with a basin big enough to set the enclosure into (I put a platform in the tub and place the enclosure on that). By heating the water, you avoid hot spots or temp fluctuations and apply a gentle heat that will also encourage burrowing. I use an aquarium heater because they are both economical to run and very accurate and reliable. The only thing you need to do is keep the basin full as it evaporates.

What you are using will dry the air considerably (and considering you are running a furnace or wood burning stove perhaps, the air is already very dry), as well as create hot spots. It really doesn't matter where the burrow is, it will eventually reach the area...in fact it would probably only take it minutes.

I have one question about the substrate...did you press it down or just pour it in? It holds up much better to burrowing (holds shape) if its packed down a bit.

Ty Spaulding

Arachnopeon
I wouldn't heat a t enclosure like that. I'd just roll with 70.

The only alternative to a space heater that I would use is a water bath. You just need a tub with a basin big enough to set the enclosure into (I put a platform in the tub and place the enclosure on that). By heating the water, you avoid hot spots or temp fluctuations and apply a gentle heat that will also encourage burrowing. I use an aquarium heater because they are both economical to run and very accurate and reliable. The only thing you need to do is keep the basin full as it evaporates.

What you are using will dry the air considerably (and considering you are running a furnace or wood burning stove perhaps, the air is already very dry), as well as create hot spots. It really doesn't matter where the burrow is, it will eventually reach the area...in fact it would probably only take it minutes.

I have one question about the substrate...did you press it down or just pour it in? It holds up much better to burrowing (holds shape) if its packed down a bit.
So I unplugged the heat cable, I'm going to keep it unplugged for most of the day and plug it in when I'm home. I packed the substrate considerably.

Can you eleborate more on the
water bath technique?

Ok, definitely removing the heat cable. I was reluctant at first but I have found more sources against a heat source than for by a considerable margin. Thanks for the convincing. On the side, have you seen these enclosures made by the Spider's Lair? UK based company.

Last edited by a moderator:

cold blood

Staff member
Can you eleborate more on the
water bath technique?
What is it you would like elaborated on? Its pretty darn simple, you just need a tub large enough for your enclosure to sit on. Fill it with water, then place some type of platform to place the enclosure on...I used to do it with slings in deli cups or Tupperware, for a larger enclosure that's not as delicate as a deli cup, you probably wouldn't need a platform. All you need is the bottom of the enclosure submerged in a manner that its stable. Put in an aquarium heater, I actually do this first and get the temps exactly where I want them.

You will need to keep enough water in the basin to both keep the bottom of the enclosure submerged as well as keeping the aquarium heater submerged.

Man its a PITA for me to post a simple photo now:confused:

This is an example of a small scale set up I used to use.

Ty Spaulding

Arachnopeon
What is it you would like elaborated on? Its pretty darn simple, you just need a tub large enough for your enclosure to sit on. Fill it with water, then place some type of platform to place the enclosure on...I used to do it with slings in deli cups or Tupperware, for a larger enclosure that's not as delicate as a deli cup, you probably wouldn't need a platform. All you need is the bottom of the enclosure submerged in a manner that its stable. Put in an aquarium heater, I actually do this first and get the temps exactly where I want them.

You will need to keep enough water in the basin to both keep the bottom of the enclosure submerged as well as keeping the aquarium heater submerged.
Whoa, i had literally never heard of this before. I'm gonna try it out. Cheers.

cold blood

Staff member
The platform is nice, because as you can see, it keeps the heater on the sides and away from contact with enclosures.

The water level was a bit lower than normal. Its imperative that the heater stays submerged.

Ty Spaulding

Arachnopeon
The platform is nice, because as you can see, it keeps the heater on the sides and away from contact with enclosures.

The water level was a bit lower than normal. Its imperative that the heater stays submerged.
@cold blood do you ever have problems with mold spores? And to update, I bought a ceramic heater to boost the heat to around 75F. Thanks again for the extra push to get rid of that heating cable. A little embarrassing because I ignored the advice from the book I'm reading on tarantula husbandry and thought I could be smarter.

cold blood

Staff member
@cold blood do you ever have problems with mold spores? And to update, I bought a ceramic heater to boost the heat to around 75F.
No, I keep my enclosures pretty clean, mold has never been an issue for me.

I thought a space heater was out of the question?? A space heater is the best choice.

Ty Spaulding

Arachnopeon
No, I keep my enclosures pretty clean, mold has never been an issue for me.

I thought a space heater was out of the question?? A space heater is the best choice.
Well, it took a little convincing with my girlfriend but I found a nice sized and economically sized one that she agreed on. It's perfect. The little t keeps remodeling the outside of its burrow. Now it's almost completely covered. I don't like wondering if it's ok but all the accounts of kbt owners pretty much say the same thing. They're fine.

JonnyTorch

Arachnotwit
I've recently began caring for a Pelinobius muticus (King Baboon) and was wondering if there were anyone else from Anchorage, Alaska on here to discuss their experiences owning tarantulas or other arachnids.
this is an old post, but I'm highly considering moving to Anchorage from Los Angeles (Formerly from Missouri) with my two T's, a rosea and mexican red knee.