Any advice on breeding Holothele Sp. Tachira?

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No different than breeding any other species. I have a sp. Norte de Santander which is the same species if I've read correctly. I've paired her twice and she's devoured the male each time, despite being very well fed. Some females are just man-eaters, so I can't speak for all the females of this species. I hope BillS will chime in. He keeps a herd of these and can offer some sage advice. Good luck.
Diane

justingordon

Arachnosquire
Dang..looks like im gonna feed her as much as possible thanks for the advice.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Diane is right. Nothing particularly different about these. I've only had one male attacked by a female, and I was able to rescue him after he lost two legs on one side. I've been told they double clutch, but mine haven't done that yet. First year females are pretty close in size to males, second year females are quite a bit larger. From that I'd guess you'd get more babies out of a second year female. Unfortuantely, I've got a bunch of females, but no mature males. I'm hoping at least one of my younger tarantulas mature as a male so i can present him with a harem. By the way, while most of my H sp "Tachiras" are in individual cages, I've got one group of them sharing a cage. They've been together for slightly less than a year and a half, and they sometimes share hides. But I haven't ever seen them share a meal.