ants

Stella Maris

Arachnoknight
I'm wondering what a safe solution is to eradicate ants if you share a room with your tarantulas. I don't have ants anywhere near my enclosures yet but I'm not sure what's "safe" to use to get rid of them since what I could potentially use against ants can also harm/kill my spiders.

I'm assuming any spraying chemical insecticide is definitely NOT safe to use, which I'm assuming includes the "natural" pesticide spray you can buy (I forgot what it's called but it contains peppermint oil, leaves a strong smell after spraying). I definitely don't want to take that risk...

What about vinegar+water solutions and things such as glue traps or ant baits? Or even detergent+water solution? Any ideas? I had an "ant problem" back in November in my bedroom that I was able to be rid of, but it seems they have returned again.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I've never had to deal with them myself so I doubt I can help out. There are quite a few threads on here about dealing with them that might be of help.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Never had an issue with ants as well so I don't have a clue aside saying that yes, no chemicals or what else product near T's.

Btw I have on my garden only God knows how many of those but they never entered on my house since I love to feed them bread directly near their nest. I love to see ants working together for their supreme goal :-s

Stella Maris

Arachnoknight
I think I'm going to try the Raid ant bait traps since Walmart where I live doesn't sell Boric acid or the Terro traps. i think I will try the bait traps, glue traps, and vinegar+water dilution this time around.

Unfortunately we have sugar ants in different places at the house right now due to winter being over with and spring beginning.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I think I'm going to try the Raid ant bait traps since Walmart where I live doesn't sell Boric acid or the Terro traps. i think I will try the bait traps, glue traps, and vinegar+water dilution this time around.

Unfortunately we have sugar ants in different places at the house right now due to winter being over with and spring beginning.
I'm telling you, boric acid is the way to go. Just spend the money on shipping - it'll still be cheaper than your current plan, because you'll end up getting the boric acid eventually anyway! During my time in Nebraska, I'd have an ant outbreak every few months (a side effect of living next to a forest). Boric acid always took care of the issue within a couple days.

Note that you can buy boric acid in powder form. You don't want that, you want the stuff that's a gel. Put a few drops on a piece of cardboard and put that in an offending area.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I think I'm going to try the Raid ant bait traps since Walmart where I live doesn't sell Boric acid or the Terro traps.
Lowe's and Home Depot usually have them too.

IMO, buying the Raid ant traps is like throwing your money in a fire.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
A part of me wish to let those poor ants live, they are our Lord creatures as well, plus the way they (ants) work together for the common goal (and not individualism/materialism benefit) has written "Fascism/Communism" all over it :pompous:

I have everything: cats, T's, centipedes (including one S.subspinipes living wild in the garden), bats, ants etc and life was never enjoyable like today is :)

I have reached a perfect balance, pure Equilibrium. No one harms no one, room for everyone, Mother Nature rules in action :angelic:

:kiss: :troll:

Last edited:

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
You could put some talc powder mixed with alcohol on the legs of your shelves to stop ants from climbing up. @petkokc has this video from yesterday in which he does that.

Stella Maris

Arachnoknight
I managed to find some borax gel bait stations at the store (finally). I don't seem to have an outbreak of ants in my bedroom that I can see, but I noticed a lone ant crawling around where all my slings are (my slings are sitting on an elevated area on my long dresser) today.

I'm concerned about the safety of my slings from any ants. Does it make sense to place a borax gel bait station around where my slings are on the non-elevated part of my dresser? Or should I place glue traps all around my slings?

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
I managed to find some borax gel bait stations at the store (finally). I don't seem to have an outbreak of ants in my bedroom that I can see, but I noticed a lone ant crawling around where all my slings are (my slings are sitting on an elevated area on my long dresser) today.

I'm concerned about the safety of my slings from any ants. Does it make sense to place a borax gel bait station around where my slings are on the non-elevated part of my dresser? Or should I place glue traps all around my slings?
I wouldnt put the baits there. The ants could take the scenic route through the enclos back to the nest.

Walker253

Arachnobaron

Boric acid is commonly found in the product Borax, a laundry detergent booster. You have to get the mixture right because too much Borax, ants won't touch it.
I've been fighting sugar ants for years. They are tough and the right bait is tough to figure out. I've used the Terro bait off and on. Ant's love it, but it never seems to work for me. My ants seem to have built up a resistance to the stuff. They seem to drink and get drunk on it.
Someone finds the perfect item, email me. I'll probably just need to break down and call an exterminator.

Reptilemama

Arachnopeon
I was getting ready to post this exact question today- must be the season! I've been killing a few tiny ants here & there, but today I found them in my pink toe's cage! I'm not worried about here eating them once they've been exposed to the boric acid, because they're tiny. I'm thinking I will move her to another cage until they are gone, but do I need to completely get rid of everything in there (it's got moss, corkbark, eco-earth, and a drainage layer, so I kind of hate to pitch it all) or should it be safe once they are gone?

Walker253

Arachnobaron
I was getting ready to post this exact question today- must be the season! I've been killing a few tiny ants here & there, but today I found them in my pink toe's cage! I'm not worried about here eating them once they've been exposed to the boric acid, because they're tiny. I'm thinking I will move her to another cage until they are gone, but do I need to completely get rid of everything in there (it's got moss, corkbark, eco-earth, and a drainage layer, so I kind of hate to pitch it all) or should it be safe once they are gone?
They like the moisture. Unless the set up a nest with the queen, they move on if the enclosure is dry. The area I have my T's in has had an ant problem this year. I keep my arid tarantulas nearer to where the ants are and the more moisture dependent tarantulas farther away. Unfortunately, I can't evacuate the area, but the good things is it seems to be working temporarily. Ants stay outside the enclosure and feed on the useless bait.

beaker41

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
No one has suggested diatomaceous earth yet, a little moat around your cages will ensure no ants make it in. It dries them up, tears up their joints and there's 0 pesticides . It won't kill the whole nest of ants but it is certainly the least toxic option. It doesn't last forever in humid climates though.