Ants Again

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Okay this is weird. I changed my substrate in my emps inclosure last week because it needed it but also because a few ants started eating a half eaten crix. Yesturday I dropped 8 crix in the enclosure 2 for each emp. When I go home there was a swarm of ants in the inclosure. I checked and there was no dead crix that they would eat and even if there was thats way to many ants for some half eaten crix. I removed the scorpions and they spent the night in an empty tank w/o substrate. They seemed really ticked but I couldn't leave them there. I think the ants are trying to make a home in the inclosure. I saw a few really large ants not sure if it's a queen or just a male ant. They're still there and just crawling all over the place seemingly without purpose.

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
you gotta keep in mind that ants leave a scent trail from their colony to where ever they find food. if one ant made it back to the colony, then all ants in the colony will find their way into your tank.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
it *seems* like the olive oil bands i used to contain glasswalking roaches are stopping the dogs damned argentine ants i am having huge problems with

remember, those little... guys... are attracted to sweetness, rot, water, etc... so pretty much any bug cage will have *something* the stupid ants want

i need to paint the top half of a couple soda cans and leavea few unpainted and then put them outside as an experiment.

i hate ants

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It's weird I have this tank covered with a lid and and in plastic wrap. Theres no sign of anything dead and the substrate is new. I have a few other Tanks without lids and theres no ants there. Everytime I find ants they always go for the emps tank. I don't know I'm gonna leave it outside for the weekend and then bake the substrate.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It's weird I have this tank covered with a lid and and in plastic wrap. Theres no sign of anything dead and the substrate is new. I have a few other Tanks without lids and theres no ants there. Everytime I find ants they always go for the emps tank. I don't know I'm gonna leave it outside for the weekend and then bake the substrate.
almost positive the little pieces of crap are going for moisture then.

if i leave a cup of water out the stupid things always go for it. during summer the ants always act extraordinarily thirsty

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thats probably it. Damn mositure I'm gonna set a glue trap outside the tank from now on.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yeah it's official I hav an ant farm now. They started tunneling and I think they're trying to start a nest. Damn crafty kritters. I guess my emps are gonna be little uncomfrotable for a while.

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah it's official I hav an ant farm now. They started tunneling and I think they're trying to start a nest. Damn crafty kritters. I guess my emps are gonna be little uncomfrotable for a while.
do a total tank clean-out and keep the tank in a different location.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks for the tips guys will do tommorow. I'll get home at around 11:30 then have to be at work at 6am tommorow.

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
This is my set-up to avoid ant attacks.

Free standing shelf

I have stopped using Insecticide chalk. I fear that the chalk dust might contaminate my inverts or feeders. Instead, I use a free standing shelf with the legs lined with petroleum jelly. I inspect it quarterly.

See pic:

This includes my feeders container.

I also use a liquid ant bait. It is in a plastic cartridge where ants will crawl in, ingest the pesticide, and then leave. Ideally, the ants will carry the poison back to their colony. It works! I have not experienced any ant problems after using this system.

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
stupid ants love scorpion craps, and fat scorps got load of those in their hides.

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This is my set-up to avoid ant attacks.

Free standing shelf

I have stopped using Insecticide chalk. I fear that the chalk dust might contaminate my inverts or feeders. Instead, I use a free standing shelf with the legs lined with petroleum jelly. I inspect it quarterly.

See pic:

This includes my feeders container.

I also use a liquid ant bait. It is in a plastic cartridge where ants will crawl in, ingest the pesticide, and then leave. Ideally, the ants will carry the poison back to their colony. It works! I have not experienced any ant problems after using this system.

very nice setup