Ant's...20+ dead and still going through bodies

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I am sure all the scorpions in both parties put up a fight but these micro-sized fire ants it is just swatting at flies. Flies that can deliver a hundred fatal stings.

Best wishes to you both.

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My god. I didn't realize ants were such a hazzard to scorpions! How scary. So terribly sorry for all of your losses.

dairy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sorry to hear about the losses.

My god. I didn't realize ants were such a hazzard to scorpions! How scary.
Ditto! Never would have guessed. Are there other common insects that may prove to be a threat to scorps?

I don't know much about our local insects (Southern BC), except that the only ones around here that ever give/could give me any trouble are wasps (stupid allergy anyways) or Black Widows, both of which are pretty easy to keep under contol.

Edit: A quick run with Google didn't yield much info. Anyone know where to find a list of "problem insects" concerning scorps or inverts in general?

Last edited:

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I too give my condolences to you and your brother for your losses. :(

What kind of ants were they, fire ants, or just ordinary house ants?
Have you thought of a way to keep them out of the tanks yet?

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I too give my condolences to you and your brother for your losses. :(

What kind of ants were they, fire ants, or just ordinary house ants?
Have you thought of a way to keep them out of the tanks yet?

Found out where they were coming in, where two pieces of carpet join together there seems to be some type of opening, filled it with pesticide and havent seen them since, also found their main supply of food outside was a bag of chicken feed I had forgotten about so I through that out.

They appeared to be a hybrid of house and fire ants, the size of house ants with the bite of a fire ant...maybe someone with more knowledge on ants can chime in on this!

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sorry to hear about the losses.

Ditto! Never would have guessed. Are there other common insects that may prove to be a threat to scorps?

I don't know much about our local insects (Southern BC), except that the only ones around here that ever give/could give me any trouble are wasps (stupid allergy anyways) or Black Widows, both of which are pretty easy to keep under contol.

Edit: A quick run with Google didn't yield much info. Anyone know where to find a list of "problem insects" concerning scorps or inverts in general?
In the wilds, scorpions have many predators but the biggest threat via home invasion is ants along as one keep their eight-legged friends well confined. A scorpion can't stand up to a swarm of ants not many smaller creatures can if the ant numbers are too great. On the positive side, scorpions are highly successful hunters yet every dogs sees it's day. Damn ants!

bengerno

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
HIi Adam,

I am so sorry for your loss! :wall:
Next time try to use ant traps, maybe It helps. I also have seen in a docu film on TV, they used shaving foam against ants, not to come into their hammocks. They simply sprayed It around the ropes of the hammocks. Maybe you can spray around the boxes of the scorps. ;)

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hey, I have an idea!!!
How about investing in a few of >>these<<

ah... um... so i gotta need some floor make over?

by the way, im on the second floor,

so would my mom mind if some sand goes scattered on the living room?

and my mom is afraid of lions...

i hope she would not mind....

;P

Australis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey tabor...think its time to use Chemical warfare {D
Well my dad did that lol...sprayed ddt into the tunnel and light a match...
It didnt help much...but it did assured we had our fun lol :D

Otochirus...i dun think they can kill an ant...heard from Mark's thread tat said one of his scorps killed ants but not by stinging...rather rub it to death...
Seems like a bad time for everyone now...is it a season or wat ?

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i am feeling you all's pain...they hit me today as well...i have spent like 5 hours emptying my room of furniture and my bed..... of coarse my herps and inverts all needed to be cleaned out...:mad: man i was lucky, cuzz i caught it early.... well actually my roomie saw the cat spasming and called me over and there they were....

i lost a couple of LQ's, 1 AA, and a B.albicep....... most of my set-ups had ants, sooo im still cleaning and rehousing...i guess im taking a break and needing to vent alittle...whats up with CALI and these ants:wall: :wall: i guess its too hot...sooo time to spray!!!!

wayne

Thiscordia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey, I have an idea!!!
How about investing in a few of >>these<<
Brian... Do you have antlions in your setups?
Cus i start browsing the site you gave but i found this :( :

Can ant lions be used for ant extermination?

The following answer comes from Mark Swanson of The Ant Lion Pit. Thanks for the info Mark.
I've been asked this question too, and I answer with "probably not." I haven't actually put this question to an entomologist, and I don't have any evidence to support my view, but I'm basing this opinion on the fact that an antlion can eat only one ant every 20 minutes or so and probably couldn't keep up that pace all day long. I suppose it depends on the size of the ant colony, but my guess is that they could never keep up with them. One of the "beneficial insects" websites includes antlions in its list but doesn't say that they could actually be used for ant control. Wishful thinking perhaps? I would suggest looking up alternative ant control methods on the web.

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
ah... um...

how about the horned devil, spiky devil, horned lizard, devil lizard, etc...

i thought it eats 2,000 apm (ants per minute)

;P

verry_sweet

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Man tabor that SUCKS!!! Doesn't sound like you had a very fun birthday :(

reclusa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Pest Control for ants

Don't use any baits in that area for ant treatments, as it may cause more ants to come into the area. You can use a pesticide around the windows that will not have any affect on your inverts. The best active ingredient out there right now is Fipronil. It is a fast kill and works well. It is available as a liquid spray. Just insure it does not get near your captive inverts. Look outside for trailing ants, or a mound. spray them directly. Also make sure everything that they could see as food is sealed. This would include any "human" food. Sticky traps designed for mice can also be used to trap the ants. But beware that anything that gets stuck on the trap will die...

Hope this helps,
John

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Brian... Do you have antlions in your setups?
Cus i start browsing the site you gave but i found this :( :
No, of course not ;). I was only trying to make some humor during a depressing time like this. Besides, you would need a kazillion ant lions to do much good against an ant hoard. It would be like trying to shovel snow in a blizzard.
We have ant lions where I live and they do indeed eat several ants as I sometimes feed them but not enough to do any good in a situation like what they have.

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
easy ant fix:

sorry picture is so primative but my drawing abilities don't exist and my mouse sucks.

black is the rack. where inverts are housed.(if where you house them has no legs)...then add legs.

the red is some type of tupperware,bowl,can,deep plate,pie tin,,,,,,anything that will hold water.

the blue is water.

keep water full in bowls. you have no ants. simple and chemical free.

moose

Last edited:

Farom

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I once lost four baby red eyed tree frogs to ants.:(

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
easy ant fix:

sorry picture is so primative but my drawing abilities don't exist and my mouse sucks.

black is the rack. where inverts are housed.(if where you house them has no legs)...then add legs.

the red is some type of tupperware,bowl,can,deep plate,pie tin,,,,,,anything that will hold water.

the blue is water.

keep water full in bowls. you have no ants. simple and chemical free.

moose

Wow I never even thought of that !!! :(

going to try it tomorrow :)

Thanks for the easy tip moose

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
not a problem. thats what we are here for. i'm just suprised no one else suggested it earlier.

good luck
moose