Antilles Pinktoe

james206

Arachnopeon
we drove almost 2 hours last night to get what was supposed to be a normal pinktoe. my g/f had to have a normal pinktoe so i found a subadult pinktoe with enclosure on craigslist for $40 we got there and it was an antilles pinktoe treespider. the guy knew nothing about it, it had nothing in the enclosure but a water dish. it has webbed up the top corner like a hammock lol. and1 have any opinions on this type of t i read they r difficult to care for. and im still looking for a normal pinktoe...

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
IMO you hit the jackpot here. A.versicolors are alot cooler.

They are about the same as other avicularia(or pinktoes) when it comes to care and enclosure; Keep the enclosure tall rather than broad, give it a nice big waterdish to help with humidity, and something it can climb on/web on. Of course, you'll also need ventilation, but I take it you're not an idiot, so you probably already knew. My juvenile a.versicolor eats two juvie dubias a week, but she used to get 3 crickets a week, whatever food source you choose is fine. Just make sure she has a nice, plump butt.

If they are threatened, they're more likely to shoot poop and jump(there has been some debate about the definition of a jump lately, but I'll just call it jump for now), so if you handle it, be sure to do it on the ground, or on a bed. I also do feedings on my bed, as they sometimes can jump away from you if they for some reason do not want its prey.

Most avicularia web alot, and what I usually see of mine is a ball of white fluff, and some pink toes sticking out.

When in premolt they will appear almost drunk, walking funnily, and their feet will appear "less sticky"(when you see, you know). They will also refuse food, and some of them web their hammock shut.

When they eat they will sometimes make doggybags(webbing the food into a ball) and hang them from the ceiling in their enclosure, and eat the rest later. This is normal.

I think that covers all the basics, good luck with you critter, and enjoy it!

james206

Arachnopeon
it spends all of its time in its lil hammock. its about 3 1/2 in. but i like it but my g/f hates it lol she wants a normal. we also just got 2 sub adult rosehair females. which puts us up to 3 rosehairs all female. 1 mexican fireleg sling. 1 anophelma sp. flagstaff orange sling. and a new pniktoe

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok :D

Well, its alot of fun with new critters, so just enjoy it, even if your girlfriend cant =)

peterock44

Arachnopeon
if you and your girl just "have" to have a normal pinktoe (aviculaira avicularia) then kenthebugguy, swiftinverts, and more than likely petcenterusa (aint checked pauls site in awhile) usually sell 2-3 inchers for around 20 bucks or so. nice easy fast way to get exactly what you and your girl are looking for.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
You scored major! Nice find. They are worth a pretty penny over the A. avicularia. Your GF doesnt know what a great find that is. I hope its a female :D