Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula Sling Question

GBBslinger

Arachnopeon
IMG_7965.JPG IMG_2775.JPG Hey everyone, Just got my Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula Sling in the mail.

He arrived alive, active, and well. few questions

This is the container he is in right now.
- Is this ok to keep him housed in.
- should I add substrate or leave paper towel
- water ?

any other recommendations for getting this guy past the sling hump are greatly appreciated since this is only my second spider and second time raising a sling. Thanks!

DeanK

Arachnosquire
How tall is the container it came in? versicolors need tall containers (32oz deli cups, tall amac boxes etc) with some bark to climb on and some fake plants near the top so it can web and create it's hide. You definitely want substrate instead of a paper towel. A small bottle cap on the floor for water should be enough. @viper69 has a great thread on care for Avics that I should have bookmarked but I don't so maybe someone can send you in that direction.

A. versicolor is a wonderful T but they're very sensitive to overly moist stuffy cages especially as a sling.

GBBslinger

Arachnopeon
The container it came in is an 8 oz deli container, but granted it is TINY under 3/4 inch. would a 32 oz stress it out too much?

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
Mine has gone nuts with webbing in an AMAC box. Some have told me that it needs more ventilation than just the wire mesh vent, but it seems to be doing great. It is a hardy eater and has molted twice since I have had her.
IMG_0471.JPG

GBBslinger

Arachnopeon
Mine has gone nuts with webbing in an AMAC box. Some have told me that it needs more ventilation than just the wire mesh vent, but it seems to be doing great. It is a hardy eater and has molted twice since I have had her.
View attachment 221040
I have one of these on order, should be here over the next few days. Glad to know thats working out well for you!

GBBslinger

Arachnopeon
I transferred him into a 4 OZ but taller little deli container until i can get a 32 OZ in a bit. Although he seems a lot bigger than the container and there is Plenty of room and ventilation. Should this suffice until I get the AMAC within the next week? IMG_0543.JPG

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The container it came in is an 8 oz deli container, but granted it is TINY under 3/4 inch. would a 32 oz stress it out too much?
32 oz would be fine. I use that size all the time for my Avic slings of that size.

What makes you think a 32 oz container is going to stress out a T?? They live in a volume that is much larger than 32 oz in the wild.

What's not important is the volume of space, (minus the prey/predator interaction issue), what is important is making sure your T feels secure in its home by setting it up appropriately.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I transferred him into a 4 OZ but taller little deli container until i can get a 32 OZ in a bit. Although he seems a lot bigger than the container and there is Plenty of room and ventilation. Should this suffice until I get the AMAC within the next week? View attachment 221041
It will be OK, I'd drop i a few plants, it's a bit barren in there.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I use 16 oz deli cups for all my little Avic slings, I think 32 oz are on the high side for them. I use 32 oz for all my other arboreal slings. With Avics typically making a retreat at the top of their cage, a 32 oz puts them a long way from the 'action'.

My set up is an inch of dry substrate, a piece of plastic plant, and a small water dish kept full. The cups have 2 or 3 rows of holes all the way around the upper sides. Little Avics are very delicate. Moist, stuffy cages kill them quickly. Better to be a little too dry than a little too moist. I've had little versicolor start spinning within minutes of being put in a deli cup home. Be careful they don't web over the airholes, as that reduces cross ventilation and can allow the cage to get too moist. After a couple sheds Avic slings toughen up a little.

mazzzz

Arachnosquire
I use 16 oz deli cups for all my little Avic slings, I think 32 oz are on the high side for them. I use 32 oz for all my other arboreal slings. With Avics typically making a retreat at the top of their cage, a 32 oz puts them a long way from the 'action'.

My set up is an inch of dry substrate, a piece of plastic plant, and a small water dish kept full. The cups have 2 or 3 rows of holes all the way around the upper sides. Little Avics are very delicate. Moist, stuffy cages kill them quickly. Better to be a little too dry than a little too moist. I've had little versicolor start spinning within minutes of being put in a deli cup home. Be careful they don't web over the airholes, as that reduces cross ventilation and can allow the cage to get too moist. After a couple sheds Avic slings toughen up a little.
My sling went into it’s new enclosure about 2 days ago and hasn’t started webbing at all. It took a cricket yesterday or at least it had to have because I can’t find it anywhere... should I be worried at all about him/her not webbing yet?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My sling went into it’s new enclosure about 2 days ago and hasn’t started webbing at all. It took a cricket yesterday or at least it had to have because I can’t find it anywhere... should I be worried at all about him/her not webbing yet?
No

cold blood

Staff member
Post pics of the enclosure...IME a versi sling will tend to web very quickly if given the proper conditions to do so.

mazzzz

Arachnosquire
Post pics of the enclosure...IME a versi sling will tend to web very quickly if given the proper conditions to do so.
She actually started getting a good web going once i got home today.. Thanks though

mazzzz

Arachnosquire
Okay so I rehoused her because the cap of the container I had her in was awful and I couldn't get it on and off. She has been in her new enclosure going on the second day now and of course she hasn't started webbing again I think where I had her was a bit to cool So I just moved her and my other T to a warmer area with a space heater, she'll be at about 76 degrees. Can you take a look at her enclosure and lemme know if it is to big for her please. She is about an 1".. IMG_0761.JPG IMG_0762.JPG

cold blood

Staff member
Looks a tad big for the t, but nothing too out of whack...doesn't look to bad at all IMO.

mazzzz

Arachnosquire
Looks a tad big for the t, but nothing too out of whack...doesn't look to bad at all IMO.
So I should just let her be and see if she starts webbing at some point?? How long is to long for her to not start webbing at all?

cold blood

Staff member
So I should just let her be and see if she starts webbing at some point?? How long is to long for her to not start webbing at all?
It should start webbing soon...its really not something to be too concerned about...some individuals just take longer than the norm.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Looks good! It is so exciting when they arrive in the mail and very fun to get their enclosures together.
Enjoy your T!