Ant question

Jerry

Arachnobaron
Looking to start a colony and am aware that queens can't be shipped from state to state or so I read what's the best way to track down some local ant coloby owners in hopes to get a queen thanks for the help

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Why not just get a queen yourself? The climate is a little different in Nebraksa, I'm sure, but I've been seeing my first few ant queens wandering around already (Camponotus and probably Lasius). The trick is to grab one wandering around on the ground, and I've read that success is usually more likely with a queen that has removed her wings already.

Jerry

Arachnobaron
I'm going to try to but my confidence idnt very good so I'd like to have a backup Incase I don't succeed

Jerry

Arachnobaron
Anyone with any tips or tricks all the info I can get will be greatly appreciated

1Lord Of Ants1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Join formiculture.com

It's the next best US-based ant forum currently available. You might find someone in your area.

Your best bet to increase your chances of success is to simply familizarize yourself with your local species and learn how to ID. There are many resources for this online.