ant parasites?

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm not sure if there are anymore species, but I have definately heard of this before. They make the ants hang themselves of the tips of grass blades so that they'll be eaten by a larger critter like a bunny or cow or something, that becomes their host where they reproduce, and then are eventually shat out and the cycle begins all over again.

Why do you think your ant or wasp(whatever it is) has one?

Imagine how small these parasites must be to fit inside the brain of an ant.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
I'm not sure if there are anymore species, but I have definately heard of this before. They make the ants hang themselves of the tips of grass blades so that they'll be eaten by a larger critter like a bunny or cow or something, that becomes their host where they reproduce, and then are eventually shat out and the cycle begins all over again.

Why do you think your ant or wasp(whatever it is) has one?

Imagine how small these parasites must be to fit inside the brain of an ant.
i say this b/c my Vant has what looks like a white plaster protruding from the top of its head. very very diff from all other Vants i've had. i'm just waiting to see what happens next...

myrmecophile

Arachnolord
Old Timer
The parasites in question are usually fungi, although in some cases various worms will infest their gut. There are also flies which lay their eggs in the heads and bodies of ants. I think in the case you are referring to, your Velvet ant it is more likely some mineral deposit which has collected on the hairs, this is not uncommon.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
The parasites in question are usually fungi, although in some cases various worms will infest their gut. There are also flies which lay their eggs in the heads and bodies of ants. I think in the case you are referring to, your Velvet ant it is more likely some mineral deposit which has collected on the hairs, this is not uncommon.
i wish i could get a pic... i'm not saying you're wrong, but it doesn't really look like just a mineral deposit that's collected. looks real funny...

myrmecophile

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I too would love a pic as it does sound interesting regardless of what it is.