Ant id

Jerry

Arachnobaron
Just got interested in any and looking to start a colony wondering what species this is and if I got lucky and found a queen IMG_20170521_182458620.jpg

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
Looks to me like you have a queen, as to what species I'm not quite sure.

1Lord Of Ants1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Location, location, location. Species can vary dramatically the next state over, and many look very similar.

This is a queen of the genus Lasius, and based on time of year and the picture she may be a social parasite, possibly L. umbratus. Some better pictures (from the side and above) will be needed for a more solid ID.

Jerry

Arachnobaron
There are two colony's around my house that I know of

1Lord Of Ants1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Lasius flavus has no records in Nebraska, and it's too early for any to be flying right now. There are several species of Lasius with bright orange workers, many of them of temporary parasites. Lasius umbratus is one of them and I'm sticking with that until more pictures can be provided.

Assuming you don't have a young colony of Lasius neoniger or L. alienus to introduce her to, if you wish to raise her she must be provided with the next best thing; Lasius pupae. 20-30 should do.

The social parasites have a notoriously low success rate, however. No one in the states has ever reared a colony even close to maturity to my knowledge.

Jerry

Arachnobaron
So I would need to dig up and obtain pupa from an existing colony inorder for her to raise and creat a colony

schmiggle

Arachnoking
That's not Lasius umbratus. Indeed, it doesn't even appear to be Lasius- it looks more like a Prenolepis imparis queen.
I knew there was a very common species with dark workers and light queens that I was forgetting! I think that ID makes more sense.

It's pretty hard to get much info from that photograph, though.

shutout2000

Arachnoknight
That is prenolepis imparis. Crazy finding them this time of year! Where did you find it exactly?

Jerry

Arachnobaron
There are two colony's of what I think are the same kind of ants up by my house under cement blocks ill take some epicks of the workers when I get a chance

shutout2000

Arachnoknight
Yeah post them. That would help alot! Also don't be afraid to stop on into formiculture.com There you could get ID opinions from lots of people. I'm T.C. around there.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
If the queen is the same species as the workers, you should be able to put her in a wire cage and leave it with the workers for a few days. You need to leave her in a cage because otherwise the workers will tear her limb from limb; however, if ants are anything like bees (and I believe in this regard they are), the workers will eventually adopt her scent and you can release her. However, I would only try this if you are absolutely sure that the two are the same species.

Jerry

Arachnobaron
If the colony these guys came from and the other one wasn't so close to the foundation of the house I might dig it out