Another weird abdomen on a adult T. spinipes

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I just found my female T. spinipes "Sammy" not good shape....what is going on here? Sammy had a scab on her abdomen about 2 molts ago.....it kinda went away....but now that she has kicked the hairs off you can clearly see where it was because where her exco is reddish....the damaged part is very tan. her abdomen has always been been oddly shaped, but now it is very odd...I gently pushed on the abdomen and it is soft like fluid...looks like I may loose her to. I have been seeing thread after thread of this, I wonder if this is a common thing in older T. sp "burgundy" all/most of the case's have been older T's, just a observation.

[youtube]4VaRSsj9U6U[/youtube]

Here are pics from 2 molts ago:

Present pics:

YellowBrickRoad

☆Klaasified☆
Arachnosupporter +
Thats really sad Rob. :( I had a huge Blondi/Burgandy a long time ago that was about 9in with the same kind of problem, Big scabby lump. Her health was great for like a year, I'm assuming now she was nearing a molt like yours is. After that it was a slow grueling death. I hope yours can pull through for at least another molt. sad sad sad. Great Video non-the-less. Good Luck Rob.

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
How big was Sammy when you got her?

There is one guy in Germany that seems to think this is what happens to T's that have been fed pinkies/mice.. Not saying you did it, but if she was rather big when you got her, it's a possibility. I really don't know, just recently read it on a Norwegian messageboard, that these are calcium deposits, as the T's have nowhere to store the calcium.. But I really am not sure..

So sorry for it though, that sucks :(

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Thats really sad Rob. :( I had a huge Blondi/Burgandy a long time ago that was about 9in with the same kind of problem, Big scabby lump. Her health was great for like a year, I'm assuming now she was nearing a molt like yours is. After that it was a slow grueling death. I hope yours can pull through for at least another molt. sad sad sad. Great Video non-the-less. Good Luck Rob.
eaxactly lioke Zilla and sammy.......it sucks!

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
How big was Sammy when you got her?

There is one guy in Germany that seems to think this is what happens to T's that have been fed pinkies/mice.. Not saying you did it, but if she was rather big when you got her, it's a possibility. I really don't know, just recently read it on a Norwegian messageboard, that these are calcium deposits, as the T's have nowhere to store the calcium.. But I really am not sure..

So sorry for it though, that sucks :(
she was 6.5-7" when i got her, and from a good keeper.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey Rob,
Im watching the video again and again...For some reason this had happened to some of my females before.

Suddenly, out of the blue, the abdomen change its shape from full and round to almost like deflated".

How long ago did she eat for sure? Because we know that when they are about to molt (about meaning within a week or 2) the exuvia tends to have odd shapes but, if as you said in the vid she ate 3 weeks ago...It would be quite a short period of time for this size Theraphosa to pull a molt.Although IT HAD HAPPENED.

This had happened to me, recently, I was worried...And she just molted without a problem.

What I mean is, hey, theres no need to loose hope. Zilla had her problem and unfortunately died, but that doesnt mean it will be the case Sammy.

Just watch her, make sure this is for sure a pre molt stage-(she doesnt accept food a all) and just wait...for now.

This is really really something. I have had THE SAME.

ps:I wish I could see her in person. Im really familiar with this and is is killing me to find out what causes it and for some reason I think it has to do with the
feeders.
Ill PM you in a moment Rob.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hey Rob,
Im watching the video again and again...For some reason this had happened to some of my females before.

Suddenly, out of the blue, the abdomen change its shape from full and round to almost like deflated".

How long ago did she eat for sure? Because we know that when they are about to molt (about meaning within a week or 2) the exuvia tends to have odd shapes but, if as you said in the vid she ate 3 weeks ago...It would be quite a short period of time for this size Theraphosa.

This had happened to me, recently, I was worried...And she just molted without a problem.

What I mean is, hey, theres no need to loose hope. Zilla had her problem and unfortunately died, but that doesnt mean it will be the case Sammy.

Just watch her, make sure this is for sure a pre molt stage-(she doesnt accept food a all) and just wait...for now.

This is really really something. I have had THE SAME.
Yeah, it happend all of a sudden, i mean within a few days??? She last ate on 10/3/10 ands has refused food.....she is in very heavy pre-molt. I have noticed that most of the cases are female and large?

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Also while in the I.C.U she is drinking a lot of water, makes no sense though...her water bowl is full at all times and his huge....Zilla also did this...no injuries or leaks anywhere.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thats is EXACTLY what happened to me.
Suddelny the odd shape abdomen followed by lots of drinking-very rare to see these girls drink THAT often.

Rob, do you have a picture of her from before October? was her abdomen really fat?

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Even thoughtn Im not in any way sure this is the reason why or that this has to do with that "problem"...

The only common denominator of every single case like this one is that it has happened on the heavier abdomen females.
We all know the problems with the preassure on their organs when the abdomen is ridiculously fat, but besides that this sudden change on the abdomen shape and "deflation" had happened to my fattest girls, not the ones with full but more "normal" size abdomens.

I personally, a long time ago decided to steer clear of ANY vertebrate pray.

I have a somewhat link to this problem the fact that those girls who have suffered this have gotten "'fat" in a somewhat short period of time.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Even thoughtn Im not in any way sure this is the reason why or that this has to do with that "problem"...

The only common denominator of every single case like this one is that it has happened on the heavier abdomen females.
We all know the problems with the preassure on their organs when the abdomen is ridiculously fat, but besides that this sudden change on the abdomen shape and "deflation" had happened to my fattest girls, not the ones with full but more "normal" size abdomens.

I personally, a long time ago decided to steer clear of ANY vertebrate pray.

I have a somewhat link to this problem the fact that those girls who have suffered this have gotten "'fat" in a somewhat short period of time.
Sammy's abdomen was not much bigger than what it is now, maybe a bit but not much, I have never fed her a vertebrate prey, but someone before me could have.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
She has been drinking a lot of water and the huge dent filled in, but the question is with what blood or water??? I just do not see how she would have gotten dehydrated.....she has the same size water-bowl dani made you Fran and it is always full!

here is a updated pic, on the left is last night, on the right was taken a few miniutes ago:

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Thats is EXACTLY what happened to me.
Suddelny the odd shape abdomen followed by lots of drinking-very rare to see these girls drink THAT often.

Rob, do you have a picture of her from before October? was her abdomen really fat?
I will take a still shot off of a video I have!

here ya go this was mid November, she may be a tiny bit bigger in october:

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It looks way better already. The possibility of her dehydrated...It sounds quite strange to me given the conditions you have them in.
I mean is warm, really humid and it hs constant water supply....
But it might happened.
Maybe a sudden temp change? Have you noticed anything of that?

I have seen my blondis behaving abnormally and all over the water dish when for some reason a higher temp suddenly ocurred in the house.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It looks way better already. The possibility of her dehydrated...It sounds quite strange to me given the conditions you have them in.
I mean is warm, really humid and it hs constant water supply....
But it might happened.
Maybe a sudden temp change? Have you noticed anything of that?

I have seen my blondis behaving abnormally and all over the water dish when for some reason a higher temp suddenly ocurred in the house.
Only thing I did was lower them temp 2 degreess...was trying to get my P. metallicas a bit cooler for them to lay a sac...still 82-84....she is still sluggish and in ICU, I am still concerned about the right side of her abdomen.....only timer will tell.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Dang Rob! Sorry to see this.. :( I obviously have no advice to give.. Just the best of wishes for her to pull through this alright.. :eek:

I do have a question though.. Have you seen this in any other species? Other than Theraphosa sp.?

If not.. I think it might be best I steer clear of the Theraphosas for a bit.. Maybe wait until someone can say what the cause is.. :eek:

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Dang Rob! Sorry to see this.. :( I obviously have no advice to give.. Just the best of wishes for her to pull through this alright.. :eek:

I do have a question though.. Have you seen this in any other species? Other than Theraphosa sp.?

If not.. I think it might be best I steer clear of the Theraphosas for a bit.. Maybe wait until someone can say what the cause is.. :eek:
I have not, my LP has never shown anything like this.....someone on ATS thinks "Burgundy may be a hybrid and this could be a genetic defect...i know of 8 other cases...same exact thing and all large females......just weird!:?

7mary3

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Rob,

you need to get ahold of Jayzen Boget at Preuss Pets in Lansing MI ASAP.

Jayzun dealt with what looks to be an identical issue a few years back with a T. blondi. I can't remember the details, but he should be able to offer some quite valuable insight.

-Ryan